Concept: Jobs

i suggested something like this too, mortal and project gorgon online are good examples. have a ton of skills, have overall 1000 points you can spend, if you run out of points you need to unlearn something which you have learned.

but most people want to be able to solo everything and it pains me greatly.

but difference of opinion.

1 Like

If people will be able to solo everything I’ll probably just stop playing

i know right >.< but with this system it will atleast slow them down greatly. they have 2 possible solutions

1. make an insane amount of skills and skilltrees you can level so you can almost never reach master on everything
  2. make everything insanely hard to master,

a poassible thing to do would to be introduce strain on progress. so the more overall points you have the longer it takes to get more, so you can master everything, but at one point it would require 1 weeks grinding just to get 1 point. while still allowing to get the foundation of your playstyle without too much strain.

The idea is not to be able to solo everything! The idea is that through considerable focus of time and effort on a chosen skill, you become better at that skill path. While anybody may be able to craft heavy armor, only a blacksmith who has invested a considerable amount of time and resources into his profession can make heavy armor with the best bonuses in the game. Example:

Adept Farmer Havok40k makes heavy armor-

[Heavy Armor]
Crafted by Havok40k (no profession title here, as “Adept Farmer” is not relevant to the item)
10 armor
(receives no $ for crafting armors)
(sells for $10 for cost of materials to craft)

Master Blacksmith Zouls makes heavy armor-

[Heavy Armor]
Crafted by Zouls, Master Blacksmith
10 armor
+10 movement speed
+10 defense
(receives $5 for crafting armors)
(sells for $25 for cost of materials + bonus stats granted by his profession)

This example illustrates that having the max profession bonus not only grants the ability to craft vastly superior versions of the same item, but also adds value and incentive to earning that max level profession. No farmer can craft a product as good as a blacksmith of any level, but they can still craft things they need provided they have the materials available. In fact, it may be more beneficial to both parties if the farmer simply sells the blacksmith his materials and has the blacksmith craft the armor for the farmer at a discounted rate. The blacksmith still makes a profit because they have the passive profit from crafting, but that profit is not enough alone to buy more materials to craft more armor.

1 Like

It doesn’t really make sense though :smiley: How does a farmer know how to craft heavy armor?

I think perhaps before you level up the rank of a job you should have a choice of whether you want to upgrade or keep it at that level. Then to go along with that, only be allowed to upgrade a certain amount of times total, a total shared amongst all jobs. Perhaps make it so you can downgrade for a price, and limit points so you can’t really be even half good at everything at once, but still have wiggle room to max out 2-3 jobs at the cost of no mastery anywhere else. Just an alternative idea in response to people not liking soloists.

1 Like

I stil say total reset.

people shouldnt be able to max out 3 jobs, i think 2 would be max, which is why i requested the system. people will just keep swapping with near 0 pentaly since they can just downgrade and upgrade the jobs whenever they feel like it.

Havok:

you might not, but trust me, some people on here wants to be able to do everything

also most people wont care about crafters if you allow them to do everything yourself. if i can get a small movement speed buff by buying it from another dude but can make it myself i wouldnt care.

but if i cannot then i make sure to find places that can make the stuff for me. also this system highly depends on how the drop system works. if they allow monsters to drop armor and weapons then you should only be able to pick 1 or 2 jobs and dont make anything other than from that field, but if they dont drop anything like that then the rules needs to be a bit more slack.

Idk, Google, perhaps?
In all seriousness, on of my goals with this system is to not restrict a player from doing what they want. If you want to craft armor as a farmer, you can.

As a real life example, I’m a butcher IRL. I can also build computers, forge steal, sail a boat, and any number of other skills that I’ve had no formal training on. I can’t do any of those things as well as a computer tech, blacksmith or sailor, respectively, but I can still do those things. Who’s to say that the races that inhabit the Oort universe are not equally capable of doing many things?

I did say downgrade for a price…

well im pretty damn sure you cant forge a sword, i know i cant. if you use real life as an example. people will spend their entire life mastering doing 1 thing.

I can’t master everything in life, but I can be a blacksmith. Give me a stick and a sharp rock, feel the wrath of my axe.

cause the first one would take massive work and a ton of time, which even though the team is skilled, would be too much work for them.

The system I proposed only lets you max out ONE job. You can be adept at many things, but only master one.

I acknowledge the fact that you can buy better armor or weapons from crafters, so why bother being a crafter? Well, for starters, money. Those who craft (or gather) have higher potential incomes than those professions that do not.

Secondly, passive bonuses relative to that position. I did not touch on crafters in my example, but I did touch on passive bonuses to each profession a little bit. The higher your proficiency in a profession, the higher your passive bonus may be. What ever you decide to master has a great effect on this! Let’s say for example, that that blacksmith’s highest level mastery provides a passive that allows them to fit armor and weapons to themselves much better. When a Master blacksmith equips heavy armor and a sword, they gain additional bonuses to defense and attack speed that no other profession gets, even with the best items.

This jobs concept only allows you to create anything you need, in it’s most basic form. You won’t be able to craft the best of everything. Also, just because you have the best armor and weapons in the game, you won’t likely be able to solo every enemy. Additionally, the best items would still require that the best materials be gathered to craft them, and costs would be high! Without a profession in something, you likely would not be able to afford those best items. It’s impossible for some noob to be able to log on for the first time and have the best of everything because those things cost a great deal of time, money and resources to acquire.

Like I said, don’t worry about tiny details, it’s the over all system that I’m looking for feedback on.

Sure I can, have you ever tried? I can’t promise the quality will be good, but there is nothing to stop me from walking into a blacksmiths shop and trying. I don’t have the skill to make a sword as well as a blacksmith, though. That takes time and experience (just like my concept.)

And people DO spend their whole life mastering one thing. Ever heard of a career? There are butchers where I work that have been doing it for 40+ years. Know what? They do the best cuts and make the best money doing it. I, an adept of only 7 years, make cuts that are nearly as good, and I make much less money doing it.

you do realise this is massively counter productive right?

a crafter should get bonus to crafting and a fighter should get better access to fighting. you shouldnt be forced to be the best blacksmith to be the best fighter, neither should you be forced to be the best fighter to be the best blacksmith.

i do get where you are going, im just saying there needs to be an impact, i feel like most of the systems proposed are too softcore.

That’s not in the least bit counter productive. You’re focusing too much on tiny details that have not really been ironed out. Leave that to the devs to balance out!

So scratch the speed bonus that blacksmiths get from wearing armor, say they get more stats in something passive that pertains to the job. Done, fixed.

Now say that Master soldiers get bonuses to max health as well as speed buffs and such, making them a better fighter. Done, fixed.

You say that you should not be forced to be the best blacksmith to be the best fighter, and I agree. Who says that being the best blacksmith makes you the best fighter? You’re simply making assumptions about things that have not even been worked out yet!

You want jobs that make an impact? You got it! Master a job and you have a sharp edge over everybody else with this concept. There is nothing softcore about that.

There is nothing fun, I repeat, NOTHING FUN about being restricted to narrow paths of what you can and can not do in a SANDBOX MMO. I don’t want to be told I can’t make the sword I need to defend myself as a farmer, and if I can’t find somebody else online to craft one for me then tough luck.

3 Likes

Tah-dah!

2 Likes

Impressive, have to admit.

I do get your point but restriktion are nessecary for the MMORPG part. If you make a system that makes player interactions useless. Then you also deny the mmo part, if your argument is “a farmer Can make epic Master sword of doom, BUT a Master Smith Can make make epic Master sword of doom with 5% movement” and then claim there Would be a difference you are horrible mistaken

I just want a clear difference on a crafter and a non crafter, while in my eyes it seems more like you Would like to never take a choice with Real consequenses

PS. Freaking iPad >.<

Again, you are making assumptions about things that aren’t the least bit set. Don’t worry about the values of things like 5% or 50%. That can be balanced out later.

I get that the game is an MMORPG as well, but the restrictions that are so typical of RPG’s don’t have to be so severe in a Sandbox setting. You’re still roll playing in that every profession has clear progression and advantages, but you get some compromise in the sandbox side as well. Additionally, even though the game is MMO, you have to keep in mind that a decent percent of players have actually voted that they want to be able to play outside of the main MMO and there needs to be a profession and crafting system that can accommodate that. James talks about private servers here.

I think it’s already pretty plain from what we’ve seen from the devs that you won’t be required to master a profession to be able to craft tools or weapons or armor. You won’t need to be a miner to mine stone and you won’t need to be a farmer to grow crops. This concept builds under that existing assumption rather than try to force a new set of rules into the game.

If there needs to be a clearer difference between a crafter and a non-crafter, you simply increase the perks of the professions and tune them more toward their respective titles.

3 Likes