Constant Stuttering/Lagging

Hm i didn’T thought it could be a server problem but maybe it is… it seemed especially weird to me because of that thing with tabing out of the game.

Have you tried reducing your Chunk Download Limit?

It would also be interesting to know the exact time you see this and on what worlds and locations.

Its everytime i play now, and its on all world i would say, i tried therka, mundeen, septerfon, vulpto and epsilo, changing the chunk download limit doesn’t change anything (this isn’t helpful informaiton i guess xD) , and yes i checked my pc about virus, cleaned it of junk data; other games work fine.

EDIT: i mean it’s not very nice when it comes down to exploring and fighting, but for mining and building its not that bothersome (still annoying so) but id say if this is one of those magical problems that might fix itself over time and in later versions i will let you know and till then keep building up my base xD (nothing much to do anyway)

EDIT 2: when i switch from windowed to fullscreen i can even right-click and swing my tool without the lags starting, as soon as i legt click or move so the controls actually start working its lagging, i just find that amusing, its so weird xD

Hey, I had this same problem yesterday as well. It wasn’t just lag though. It would jump me around or turn my character when I wasn’t turning at all. About every 4-6 seconds for me. I speedtested my internet and still have 30Mbps d/l and 10Mbps u/l as well.

1. Can you follow the instructions here?

2. Can you try setting the bandwidth setting to Very Low or Low?

3. Can you share a screen shot with the debugging information enabled (press “.”) when the lagging happens?

@michaelb @james can I request that we have a dedicated log for "Slow Network Warning"s that we can all upload please?
It should also log impact damage/deaths so you can see how much we’re affected and how the times correlate across servers.

At the moment the client seems to check every single click and keystroke with the server, which I imagine is a good anti-cheating mechanism but it does cause big issues with rubber banding when the client and server become out of sync. You end up swap something in your inventory over and over and then suddenly they all bounce back and you see that you’ve been clicking different items based on where the server thought you were clicking.

I think the client should have “priority” bumped up a bit and perform more interface functions without double checking with the server.

Should probably also increase the “steps” in which player “look” movement is broadcasted to the server and “glide” the movement when sending data out to other players.

Think all of this would massively lower overhead and give everyone a better experience.

This is because messages are arriving late.

Game client already runs with prediction enabled and doesn’t wait for server authority. This assumes responses from the server and only corrects when they’re different.

The rubber banding you’re describing only happens when the messages takes so long to arrive that they’re thrown away (over 1 second). When this happens the client is instructed to return to the last confirmed valid state.

The entity (non chunk / world loading) overhead is currently less than 1 Mbit.

(i suppose you can handle the german there xD, but it says no package loss)

And was the game rubber banding at this exact point??? :confused:

here i recorded it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awNNHB6Hjw

you can see the lags there, especially look at the character animation when i open the inventory, you can see the lags there too but as soon as i tab out is when the animation becomes fluent, and when i tab back in the game its starting to lag again, and dont worry about the low fps, when i put all settings low i have 40 fps and still have the same lags

That all makes sense, but the bandwidth for entity overhead wouldn’t be as important as low latency right?

I’m just saying that if there’s lots of packets flooding at the same time some will get lost, so even though the bandwidth is very slim that feels to me like where some optimization needs to happen.

Anyway happy to admit if I’m wrong about that, but what about the additional log file I’m requesting?

Entities are everything that isn’t the world chunks: player actions, creature actions, machines, storage, doors, and the result of any interactions on the world. This stuff needs to be low latency or you or creatures or other players will bounce around.

We do send multiple packets per frame and have discussed coalescing these together.

(I’m not an engineer working on this stuff so I’m mainly passing on discussions I’ve heard.)

1 Like

Ok, dear developers and boundless players, plz sit down and listen closely, (i tell you a little lesson in trickery, just kidding xD) i now managed to discover what causes the strange lags i got, or lets say at least stops them. since i cannot explain why this is causing the lag but i hope the developers will find a solution.

so since the game is fully supporting controller usage i tried my xbox 360 for windows controller a few days before the lags occured, since then the controller was actually plugged in all the time, but at some time i must have plugged it out and didnt notice the lag right away…

because NOW when i plug in my xbox 360 for windows controller the lags stop immediately and as soon as i unplug it the lags are starting again … like what the hell xD? is this some mysterious conspiracy with microsoft xD?

Sorry Yawaly, but I’ve had the exact same described lags and I don’t even own a controller for my PC. Nor have I ever had one plugged in before.

Does make sense though, have seen other people getting more lag on systems using Bluetooth mice/keyboard/controllers.

The Devs didn’t seem to agree with me here but I’m pretty sure that packet density in boundless is just too high at the moment, resulting in systems actually having networking/Bluetooth conflicts as a result, leading to lag/rubber banding.

I use an Xbox one controller via Bluetooth and via Xbox RF stick for PC and face no stutter or lag. I also use a DS4 without any lag either. I do not think wireless controllers are the cause of the issue.

I’m not saying it’s the cause, I think that on certain systems where the WiFi/Ethernet and Bluetooth share common buses, the high packet density of boundless causes lag when using Bluetooth peripherals

Maybe, I was using a Bluetooth controller and Bluetooth head set connected to the computer but I was getting lag and stuttering so I switched the headset to my TV and things work very well.

Well why sry? i mean it might be seeming the same but i don’t think they are, i mean it is like it is i plug in my controller and the lags are gone xD, maybe you should plug in a controller than and your lags are gone as well xD

yeah i just find this amusing actually and by all mean i can’t understand why it is like that, i mean i even reinstalled the game xD, so its some weird lag windows or my system is having with boundless and somehow when i plug in my controller that cause gets solved? has anyone an answer to this :joy:?