Constant Stuttering/Lagging

Maybe, I was using a Bluetooth controller and Bluetooth head set connected to the computer but I was getting lag and stuttering so I switched the headset to my TV and things work very well.

Well why sry? i mean it might be seeming the same but i donā€™t think they are, i mean it is like it is i plug in my controller and the lags are gone xD, maybe you should plug in a controller than and your lags are gone as well xD

yeah i just find this amusing actually and by all mean i canā€™t understand why it is like that, i mean i even reinstalled the game xD, so its some weird lag windows or my system is having with boundless and somehow when i plug in my controller that cause gets solved? has anyone an answer to this :joy:?

No no , i donā€™t get lags when i use the controller, i get lags when i DONā€™T USE the controller, thats the fucked up thing,

Hey @yawaly - can you:

1. Capture another video for us demonstrating the difference between having the controller enabled + disabled.
  2. Please make sure to show the debug details for the entire video.
  3. Ideally only use simple motion, for example only walking forward (this way itā€™s easier for us to differentiate between lag and your input movement.)

Hey @Wichall - we really appreciate your help and ideas with tracking down the source of these issues. Weā€™re definitely not disregarding any suggestions until we can demonstrate theyā€™re not a problem. I did comment that packet coalescing is something weā€™ve been discussed in the team.

Cool - thanks James. I really do think a separate ā€œSlow Network Warningā€ log would help shine some light on it too!

ok i did as you said, as discribed in the video, the first walk is with the controller plugged in, the second walk is with the controller unplugged, i guess you notice the soundeffect when i unplug it the lags beginn, the fps drops too (not much but noticeable)

@Yawaly are you starting the game with the controller plugged in and then unplugging it to trigger the lag? Iā€™d be interested to know if you get the lag if you unplug the controller and restart the game without it ever being plugged in (preferably even reboot your machine after unplugging it)

Itā€™s possible that somehow once weā€™ve detected the controller weā€™re somehow querying it after itā€™s been unplugged and thatā€™s causing the stutter, looking at the way the animation stutters in your first example Iā€™m not convinced your issue has anything to do with networking at all.

Also just so we can try our best to reproduce it are you using a wired or wireless Xbox360 controller?

1 Like

Also if your controller dies while moving(I do not know if it works if you unplug the controller) you continue the direction you are going until you can stop yourself with another input source.

Well i was even reinstalling the game and the lags were still there after it and it was only later when i plugged in the controller and the lags stopped, but i tried it just now, unplugged the controller rebooted my system and started the game and the lag was there,

im using a wired xbox360 controller for windows, is there even a wireless one?

That and a wireless 360 controller will work on PC.

oh ok nice :D, well im not surprised, but yeah im using a wirded one , usally more reliable :smiley:

1 Like

For Xbox One version some people were reporting lag on Overwatch which updating it fixed see
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/update-controller-for-stereo-headset-adapter

For the 360 version check for any update for the drivers for the controller to see if there is a newer one.

i guess i try that :smiley: , but it still seems weird to me since its lagging when the controller is unplugged xD

Would be interesting to know if that sorts it out.

well i installed the Microft Accessoir Driver from Windows for the Xbox360 controller, their doesnā€™t seem to be anything else, while i now got status information about my controller and can properly plug in more than one,

the problem with lags in boundless arenā€™t solved still the same, the lags start as soon as i donā€™t have the xbox controller plugged in

@Yawaly can you send us a game log from a session when youā€™re playing with the controller not plugged in, I just want to check that thereā€™s nothing in the logs when thereā€™s no controller plugged in.
Iā€™m also going to try and put up a beta build with all the controller support disabled, just to see if that one also stutters in the same way.

@Yawaly if you enter r2O1UpZH367iJlTg into the Steam betas page you should get access to a new beta branch called nogamepad. This is exactly the same as the main live build but has all the support for Xbox 360 and DualShock 4 gamepads removed, this will let us know if itā€™s anything to do with our gamepad code thatā€™s creating the stuttering.

Ok so i played a while with controller unplugged, it was lagging and here is the gamelog,

but yeah after that i used the nogamepad-version and in fact the lags were gone, so i guess it has something to do the with the gamepad support

Ok thereā€™s nothing unusual in the logs, I was surprised that the nogamepad version made a difference but itā€™s definitely interesting that it did. Can you try it a few more times over the next couple of days, just in case it was luck that there was no lag when you played that version. If you still donā€™t see any lag at all but then it comes back when you go back to the normal version then Iā€™ll try and add support for disabling each of the gamepads (Xbox 360 and DualShock 4) via the config file, then we can maybe work out which of them is causing the problems.