Crafting Roadblock: Ancient Tech: Component

Cannot find ancient tech component for the life of me, and anything about it is several months old so the thread about it imo is irrelevant

so,

Any tips on where to find them, or anyone selling them? I need two to make my power core! Which im told produces spark which i need for a mixer!

heeelllllpp!!!

1 Like

They can take quite a while to find. Try digging into the side of mountains in a desert or ice biome.

1 Like

This apparently is the tip for anything rare from what I have seen :smiley:

3 Likes

i have gold silver copper iron in the test build (which keeps crashing on me now) and everything up to the mixer/power core

and everything but gold / silver in the regular build

i can remember seeing the wire looking tile several times in my experience with this game yet when i get to where i need them, theyre no where to be found. they should buff the spawn rate on that block or whatever the terminology for making that resource more frequent its.

I have found one component so far, still need my second. Also, from what I can tell, the test build is dropping everybody at the same time. Seems to be server side, not client side.

1 Like

thanks for the headsup

I know this topic is a week old, but I wanted to share my experiences over the last few days. I have mined for nearly 15 hours in the last 3 days. All this time was spent digging in desert mountains between the 70-110 range. In that time, I amassed over 2K coal, 1K copper, 350 iron, 27 silver, and around 350 ancient fragments. I have found ZERO gold or ancient components.

This is more than a roadblock, this is a frustration and one that makes me consider if my time would be better spent in other games. I know it’s ealry access and things need balancing and tweaks, etc., but I would love to progress and build a power cell and perhaps visit another planet. At this rate, it’s not looking likely.

On a side note, where is a good place to find fossils because I found very few in my hours of digging. With the lack of fossils, I did a majority of my digging with stone hammers because I didn’t have fossil extract to make better tools.

Are you near heavily populated areas? If you are, it may be worth going slightly further afield to find some. I seem to have better luck when doing that :wink:

Alternatively, if there is a market on the world you are on, there may be someone either selling gold or even a power core.

Edit: For fossils, my best locations (on Therka) so far, have been in desert biomes at around a depth of 55-70; I just managed to find 15 of them within a tunnel system by mining out the coal seams there. There are probably other places as well, but this seems to work for me.

1 Like

There is a design question here, would we all rather:

a) resources were flatly distributed throughout the world (based on depth, or some other simple metric), or
b) resources are distributed based on planet type, biomes type, and land formation?

The game is currently configured for option b.

• Different planets have different distributions, abundances and scarcities - giving the player a reason to travel between worlds.
  • Different biomes and land formations also have different distributions, abundances and scarcities - giving the player a reason to travel within a world.
    (Its not quite this simple but this description gets across the ambition.)

The community may discover that Gold is abundant on a particular planet, in a particular biome, deep in a particular mountain. If it is scarce elsewhere then this information is valuable, the resources can be harvested, and then traded.

If you’re finding a resource hard to find - go explore - find a different looking place and dig around. Or talk with the community about where they found it. Or offer to trade with some one. Or create a Buying Plinth and set an attractive price.

The purpose is to optimise the game for player real time or asynchronous interactions, either in game or in the community. To try and make Boundless uniquely different to similar games.

It’s also possible Gold is too hard to find on the Home worlds. We will tweak the spawning balance based on feedback and live metrics.

3 Likes

I’ll be honest, I’d much prefer to find them on my own. An accomplishment type of thing :slight_smile: At least the first time through. I also have never seen a single person when I’m online so purchasing may be difficult as well.

Thanks for the depth information on the fossils. I play on Solum which I’m guessing is completely different planet wise from Therka.

Thank you for the reply James. To be honest option A has much more appeal for someone like me. Although, I will say I do not mind the way things are distributed now, but how am I supposed to explore other planets when I cannot even get the resources I need to do so on my starter planet? Therein lies the problem for me. I have no problem putting in the time and effort to obtain the goal of planetary travel, but how much time is right?

I posted in hopes someone had found new places for the ancient tech: components or had some insight. I personally feel the spawn rates are way too low for the components and gold. If the idea is for people to explore and travel to collect various resources, I need to have access to the resources required to do so from my starter planet. Now I’m not saying components should be as common as other resources, but I don’t feel someone should have to grind 15+ hours to accomplish the task of opening up a lot of game they have yet to see.

I’ll head back at it tonight and see if I can get lucky. I guess I’ll try and find a new location further away.

1 Like

That’s fair enough :wink: I’m pretty much the same on that really.

You can still purchase when people are not online … they will have set up selling plinths, which are you are able to purchase items from even when a player is not around.

I’ve found a few higher up as well - so the range is generally from 55-90. I think the starting worlds are all very similar in the way they are configured, to give everyone a fairly level playing field initially.

Anyway, good luck in your searches! Hope you find some soon, so you can breathe that sigh of “finally” when you find what you’re looking for :wink:

1 Like

I just started and have been killing it finding ancient tech / fossils. On solumn near ice biome, maybe try that!

2 Likes

I was going to try the ice biomes tonight. Switch it up a bit, tired of staring at sand :smile: I’m guessing you are finding ancient tech: fragments and not the elusive ancient tech: components.

@Xandon that would be correct. I was more referring to the fossils for you though since you side noted them =) GL maybe see you around

Uneven distribution is fine. The problem is that you unevenly distributed an ingredient to get off world to find the other planets with better distributions. You need tech components in all starter worlds with a common spawn rate or change the warp selector recipe chain to not require them.

Personally, I think tech components should be a little more common in starter world than they are currently, and keep the existing recipe. Tech fragments should be a little rarer. I have yet to find a TC on Solum after 12 hours of searching I gave up. I got off world myself buying some off Havok40k.

i had looked around berlyn for about a week or more for the tech components. found two.

tech fragments? lost count.

Im all for option b, however they shouldnt be so rare that there is none to be seen in scouring miles of blocks worth of cave and mountain and desert.

If the resources are common to certain biomes, then there should be a frequency among the biomes it is contained in that is appropriate for both the resource and the playerbase. The player base is relatively small so buying and trading isnt as practical of an option right now. As for the resource itself, two components in thousands of frags? its a little skewed. The resources should be constricted by biomes (i doubt youre going to find air conditioners in Antarctica) but should be logically found by like resources. Meaning tech components shouldnt be entirely super-rare when searching among tech fragment abundant areas. Likewise, ore deposits are too randomized. Little of this little of that just about everywhere in terms of metals. It would be nicer to find actual veins of particular stuff. Like say… instead of 10 copper mixed in with 10 coal and 3 iron, have twenty coal that lead in to fifty copper with a tiny pocket of a more valuable metal inside.

It would also be nice if there was some reasoning based on real life that dictated what biomes we were likely to find specific ores and gemstones in.

I would also like to see tiers of wood. An Ancient Giant tree’s wood is more special than the run of the mill basic woody forest.

edit: just to clarify, i mean gold where it looks like california, diamonds in what looks like africa, and emeralds in what looks like south america.

I have a spot. I found a lot on Berlyn. I can show you when you are on next time.

2 Likes

I think that some way of tipping the player off to where to find rare resources on the beginning worlds would be great to teach players that boundless does not have the flat resources generation that MC has. For example, I used to face a great deal of frustration looking for for gold on the starter worlds too, but once I learned what biomes to look in and how to mine for it, I am quite successful in acquiring it.

Perhaps we can do something more to help unlucky players scrap together the rare resources they just can’t seem to find? I know it’s pretty late in development, but what about a sort of “prospecting” mechanic? Either a way to sort through spare resources to find trace amounts of rarer materials, or a way to zero in on regions containing desired resources by surveying the environment? Varying degrees of difficulty could add an extra depth to mining beyond just knowing where to look.

2 Likes

Just a quick update. Another 5 hours of digging this evening and zero gold, zero components :disappointed:

It makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Is it me? Am I not digging in the right places, heights, etc. Can it just be this bad of luck after 20 hours of digging. Is there something else going on?

If you read this and play on Solum, I’d love to know the last time you found gold or an ancient tech: component. I’d like to know they do exist and there isn’t some weird bug.

1 Like

Gold can be found under the mountains with ice on top. I have never seen a TC on solum. I bought mine from another player and recommend you do the same. If you can make it Berlyn Havok has them for sale in his shop, and there is also a dev built market on that world that is selling tons of them. Of course you can’t make the warp selector which you need to get there on your own. So i would try discord and see if someone can come to you. I’m on in the evening CST and could do it if you see me.