Crafting Timers Reminder

Friendly reminder that this isn’t cool:

I essentially can’t play the game until tomorrow because crafting times are so long. Yes, this is spread across lots of machines. There’s still 20+ queued in each because I need that much of this material. Yes, they are all fully-coiled. No, there is nothing really for me to do in the meantime while I wait other than literally play a different game.

Monumental, when you do eventually get back to development, I strongly urge you to consider dramatically reducing crafting times further based on coils or perhaps introducing some third tier of coils that maybe are really hard/expensive to make but, as said, dramatically reduce craft times. Or even offer some kind of paid (to generate revenue) crafting time reduction or something. The above recipe isn’t even a hard one. There are countless other recipes that take WAY longer than 15m 35s. It’s a travesty. Thanks.

9 Likes

Just think about it…if you did the crafts yesterday it would have been done :thinking:, now its done in the future

4 Likes

Then I wouldn’t have had anything to do yesterday instead. It doesn’t matter either way. Crafting times are way out of hand.

5 Likes

I do agree some crafting times are ridiculously long, especially if theres real life and work involved.

1 Like

13 minutes aint a big deal. Crafting titanium tools for example are way worse! Best is to stock up on your machines as soon as possible :slight_smile: that reduces the pain significantly

I already have a ton of machines and they’re all fully coiled. I am making and need tens of thousands of the material.

Technically @Dhusk you could spread the crafts if you split the coils in half, making double the machines with only 12 coils, and more coils in this case is overkill, and u get them 2x as fast!

2 Likes

I believe the original reason that James wanted long craft times is because it incentivizes joining the economy. In other words, if it takes a long time to make stuff, then you’re more inclined to just go buy it. There’s two major flaws with this logic though:

1. There is next to no economy in Boundless right now because of the extremely low player counts
  2. It completely disregards player choice in that those who wish to be sefl-sufficient cannot do so without paying a hefty price by way of lengthy and unnecessary craft times.

Anyway, since there’s no point in playing Boundless today anymore, I guess it’s on to a different game. Back to the Once Human beta for me until tomorrow.

That’s fair but I think it’s a bit silly to require literally dozens of the same machine just to get around an arbitrary game mechanic. Why not just reduce or get rid of the arbitrary game mechanic then?

i think this happens when you have a big project, i know people with 5 of each machine type and are fine with it, you started the big project + you have been away for a while too, now you gotta pay for it.
and you will need many machines because you want it done asap.
at this points its best to divide the machines really, and accept the current state of machine timers.

I still haven’t heard a solid argument for why crafting timers need to be so extensive or exist at all. Nobody has been able to provide that over the years. And it’s really weird to say that, since I’ve been away for a while and am doing a big project that I should have to pay some kind of price to literally just play the game. That seems backwards to me.

chatgpt has his opinion

In-game crafting timers serve several purposes, and their implementation can vary depending on the game’s design and mechanics. Here are some common reasons why crafting timers are introduced in games:

1. Resource Management: Crafting timers are often used as a means of resource management within the game. By introducing timers, game developers encourage players to make strategic decisions about what items to craft and when. This adds an element of planning and prioritization to the gameplay.
  2. Monetization: In free-to-play games, crafting timers can be a part of the monetization strategy. Players may be given the option to skip or reduce crafting timers by spending premium in-game currency or real money. This creates a revenue stream for the developers while allowing non-paying players to progress through the game at a slower pace.
  3. Player Engagement: Crafting timers can be used to extend the playtime of a game. By introducing waiting periods, players are encouraged to return to the game after a set amount of time to collect or complete their crafted items. This can help maintain player engagement over a longer period.
  4. Balancing Economy: Timers can be implemented to balance the in-game economy. If items could be crafted instantly, it might lead to an oversupply of certain resources or goods, disrupting the game’s balance. Timers help regulate the flow of items and maintain a more stable in-game economy.
  5. Realism and Immersion: Some game developers implement crafting timers to add a sense of realism and immersion to the game world. In the real world, crafting and manufacturing processes take time, and timers simulate this aspect in the virtual environment.
  6. Preventing Exploits: Crafting timers can also be used to prevent players from exploiting the game mechanics. Without timers, players might be able to rapidly craft and accumulate items, gaining an unfair advantage or disrupting the game’s progression.

It’s important to note that the presence and design of crafting timers can vary widely among different games, and not all games choose to incorporate them. Some players enjoy the added challenge and strategy that timers bring, while others may find them frustrating. Game developers often need to strike a balance that enhances the overall gaming experience for their target audience.

2 Likes

Okay, so here you go:

Resource Management: This is a non sequitur. It’s basically saying that “if you don’t manage your resources then you won’t be able to have resources to manage”. Shouldn’t resource management be about the storage and organization of your resources and not some arbitrary “sorry you can’t play the game but we’ve enforced a strict 24h wait period before you can”.

Monetization: Cool, so monetize it like I said. Tie crafting timer reduction into Gleam Club or have it be a paid add-on in addition to Gleam Club that blanket reduces or eliminates crafting timers. I’d pay money for that but the problem is all the people that would cry P2W then.

Player Engagement: This is such a bad argument because it doesn’t extend playtime of the game - it, quite literally, makes you NOT play the game because you don’t have anything to do.

Balancing Economy: I already addressed this above

Realism and Immersion: Yes because what I come to the Oortian universe for as I sling voxels and chisel them into different geometries is immersion and realism.

Preventing Exploits: This is fine during leveling but once max level, there should be some means to get rid of or dramatically reduce crafting timers.

1 Like

its not weird to me really, we are aware of the crafting timers, and its not like the timers have dissapeared after you return or change overtime. with a big project and also like mine, its a few days of waiting, :man_shrugging:

Like I said. I guess I just can’t play the game until tomorrow then. Nothing to do. I’ll go play something else.

1 Like

Some sort of coil booster made from lucent gems to dramatically reduce crafting times would be great.

3 Likes

I thought it was for balancing reasons too, but nope:

Anything that isn’t me playing (and enjoying) the game is just bad game design in my book. :man_shrugging:

edit: To clarify: If I want to build, I want to build and not schedule my time around ludicrous crafting times and “do something else” (actual quote from one of the tips, if I recall correctly) while waiting. But that’s just me :wink:

4 Likes

I remember seeing a game dev (not sure who it was now) talking about game design and saying that they felt that if a system in a game wasn’t fun then it wasn’t a good system.

3 Likes

You’d be shocked but there are actually a few people in Boundless who post on this forum who will look you dead in the face (virtually) and tell you that crafting times are fun. I’m not joking.

2 Likes

Sure they are, if youre a masochist when it comes to yourself and a sadist towards others. You would get pure enjoyment over the people crying out loud that they need to wait so long.

Im sure those people work with timber. No crafting time there! Muhahahaha

1 Like