Crafting Timers Reminder

100% agreed on the 6th point, if I had instant crafting even as a solo builder, my builds would get explosively huge very quickly, I have started a new strategy of pre plan my build in advance and start crafting the next builds materials while building the current one which allows a streamline at one point before my large beacon expired, I had 400 refineries setup on my personal planet non coiled so I always had machines free granted… the 400 were non coiled and my coiled machines were used only for stuff that needed them or things i needed in small amounts

1 Like

An oort powered onnicraft machine… that could work use the oort similar to how it’s used in the furnaces higher refinement = larger yield…

The crafting timers are a huge time gate in Boundless - wholly necessary in the current system.

There’s a completely obvious reason for this and james flatly 100% denied it when I brought it up.

So ridiculous lol. Ever since his comment about how it was due to a designer’s ‘planning fetish’ and nothing to do with the fact that we would be swimming in cubits I’ve advocated for the removal of the timers.

TBH I don’t think game design was really part of his skillset :thinking:

1 Like

Not necessarily a whole new machine - the idea could use the existing ones. It just works by trading oorts for instant crafting.

1 Like

this not necessary true, since you will need to gather the resource for the blocks at some point.

would need less than this thing, like one would be sufficent with insta crafting. less stress on the servers.

1 Like

So one of the original Devs put this system into play and it’s been that way ever since. They took the approach of “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

I’m not one of them. There are some crafting times that are ridiculously long, ornate gleam door mass craft for example.

Totally agree. Also nice to see you comment!

1 Like

To an extent crafting timers might make some people go buy stuff instead of wait for it to cook. I have done that once or twice when I didn’t feel like waiting 3 days to get something crafted. On the other hand, the crafting timers cause me to basically never sell anything I might ever use ever. I just go ahead and craft it into the stuff that takes forever and then sit on it because I don’t want to wait for it to cook later. I’ve got tons of compact coal of all 3 varieties hoarded. I’ve got huge stashes of forging bases, metal alloys, refined rock, refined gems and cooking ingredients. If I could go get stuff when I needed it and use it in a reasonable time period, I would sell a lot of the stuff I collect when I don’t need it. Instead I have massive stockpiles stored in a massive storage that no one gets to use, and I am pretty sure other people do the same. I don’t know if the crafting timers really contribute or hinder the economy.

1 Like

I am by no means a good player at this game but…

If people were incentivized to buy stuff, and the stuff is available in the market, in theory you can:
1 Farm the mats
2 Throw them in crafting machines,
3 Buy the finished products else where
4 use for whatever you wanted
5 sell the crafted products when they finished

all you lost is 7.5% to 10% tax in exchange for “instant craft”

no?

1 Like

Aye and that’s the literal sentence right after he says “It has nothing to do with Cubits”.

People talk about tha 'conomy every time this comes up but anyone who can look back at something as small as making stones out of rocks can immediately imagine what sort of ‘nerfing’ would be needed if the timers were removed from the equation.

Not just something as simple/cheap as rock to stone but all of them? Extracting essence? Extracting Oort? Complex blocks and meshes instantly? I recognize the economic impact but the most pressing obstacle here, IMO of course, is that it’s going to require a rebalance of the game in such a way that makes ‘crafter’ no longer really viable as ‘a profession’.

The chrysominter coins are one thing, the double hit to the existing economy with the need for coils mostly vanishing and other trickle down (blocks for workshops, etc…) is another. Still I would bet that by now we would have players able to plot a small planet. At least. To balance this out all crafting XP would have to be fractionalized. At a minimum pies not working with furnaces or machines.

There’s hundreds or probably thousands of posts on this but at the end of the day, I think this sort of thing is entirely at the discretion of the dev team and how they feel it affect their ability to monetize their players. There’s not really a question of why such things exist. And regardless of how they got here, there’s obvious reasons for them to be here.

Still even if they’re currently integral that doesn’t make them necessary to the game in any way. And especially if you’re looking to make interactions more transactional in nature (whether discussing game coins, premiums, or character advancement) supporting a comfortable role-playing profession into a game that was always declining the “RPG” moniker anyways.

Also did you guys see even china is making blatant gacha type mechanics illegal now :rofl:

1 Like

Crafting times do not bother me much. Yes Mass take time but it should be as you are making exactly that a Mass, not just a couple. I prefer to mass craft as there is a cost benefit. But if I need a bunch but can get started on something with a few I make those few then run my Mass crafts. What I would really like to see is the queue limit increased.

3 Likes

I’ll just leave this here. Just another day in Boundless.

1 Like

Same. It is part of the game for a reason and those have been mentioned.

Again: Go Creative for instant blocks is a solution for those who have issues with the crafting timers.
No need to change the crafting timers, lots of games have it. When you plan it correctly crafting timers are not even an issue at all.

1 Like

Coal products are the worst.

“When you plan it correctly…”

There literally is no “planning it”. No matter how you slice it, you are out a game day of waiting on crafts for many crafts. Whether I “plan” for that or not, it’s still a day lost.

“So go do something else while you wait…”

But that’s not what I want to do nor how I want to play the game right now. I want to progress my build and the only way to do that is with blocks. So, I guess by going and doing something else, that must mean go play another game - in which case I’d ask whether forcing someone to go play another game is a viable marketing strategy.

1 Like

I do understand it well. At the moment i focus day in and out for 2 weeks ish on the same project. Nope im not yet bored actually very motivated. If something would cause me to stop now i wouldnt want to do something else. I want to stay in my focus and flow and not be hindered in it or else i might lose my motivation, flow and focus. And i hate picking up things after a while. Im more the type to start over new instead of picking up old games, memories in games or projects. So i totally can sympathize with you @Dhusk.

1 Like

imagine these times too

if i had to do this all on a few machines…30 crafts each that will be waiting for days!
i had to put 2 crafts per machine and on 150 machines…

1 Like

This basically sums it up for me so thank you. When I want to play Boundless, I really want to play Boundless - not be hamstrung by crafting times and having to sit out days while I wait for stuff to materialize.

And, yes, creative worlds are a thing. However, creative worlds lack the real-universe implications of sovereigns and home worlds with things such as valid prestige, actual inventories, and coin.

No single game fits everybodies needs or wishes 100%.

Accept the game for what it is and has been for many years.

Don’t like the crafting timers, then either accept it or don’t. But you keep on playing and complaining.

I don’t want anybody to stop playing the game but please stop complaining about it over and over again.
We know now multiple times from you @Dhusk that you dislike crafting times. Put a rest to it now please as complaining every day on this forum is not helping at all.

If I had said this before, I might have received quite a bit of backlash, lol. However, the game is what it is in its current state, and perhaps it’s something for the New Player Experience (NPE). While I personally don’t have any issues with crafting timers, I’ve learned that just because it’s not a problem for me doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for someone else.