Crafting: Workbench GUI

Yeah the Warframe Crafting was definitely a pain in the…

I think with an UI that is structured like that a ‘QE thing’ is almost mandatory and if the community keeps asking for it it will hopefully be added.

@ben
Any chance that you can confirm/deny the implementation of a ‘QE thing’?

I really enjoy it when games do this. I’m typically a solo player anyway, so it’s good that they don’t burden people like me :smile:

2 Likes

These are looking really interesting indeed!

The first 3 screens are quite self-explanatory… really curious about that last one though! World Frequency … does that mean things can be crafted differently on different worlds?

There’s a nice couple of extras in there too with regards to craftable items! … Iron Arrow, Iron Tips, Iron Slingbow Quiver, Iron Lance Quiver (??), Pipes, Compactor, Extractor

I get the unnerving feeling I will be adding A LOT of new items to the crafting site soon lol

1 Like

Hmm, may be the 4th panel is for the influence of the world you are on with the station. May be the constelation of the world and the cosmos as a whole has an influence on the outcome’s additions or alterations. There is another game which uses a similar system: Shroud of the Avatar. There the constalation of planets and stars in the nightsky have an influence on the crafting results (in matter of small boni or alterations of stats). Would be cool to have such a system in B< too (but please keep it cool but simple ^^)

Idk what all of that mean a but im liking it

We’ll absolutely provide optional keyboard (and controller) shortcuts for GUI. These mockups are a little information dense at the moment – as a rule I do tend to throw everything into my mockups to test how readable they’ll be in stress cases. Colour will help a lot with readability.

Bit of visibility on my process here: rather than designing a crafting screen, I’ve actually been designing the structure and widgets for almost all of our 1.0 GUI and then applying that structure to features (like crafting) to see if it works. Factors I’ve been considering for this:

• Responsive table-based interface that can stretch and shrink to provide maximum use of space based on the screen.
  • Awesome navigation experience for KB/Mouse players
  • Awesome navigation experience for controller players (DPAD and/or v-mouse)
  • Future support for touch interfaces (Windows 10 tablets for example)
  • Support for low or non-standard resolutions (such as SD TVs, windowed mode)

And as I’m feeling leaky today…

12 Likes

Are the used glyphs for proffession deffinitive? cause then @Stretchious have some more to add for the glyph translator

1 Like

(Always worth reminding this is stuff is often our working, not necessarily the answer)

3 Likes

Is it possible to position the windows freely or are they always “full screen” like the current inventory ?

At the Moment i don’t like it, that it blocks the complete game if you open your inventory or the crafting menu. It would be nice if you can open them and still continue running around eg.

@Heurazio You obviously missed this from a previous comment ^^

Generally you wouldn’t be running around with the crafting bench anyway as it’s a static fixture, but I see what you mean that you can’t move around and craft at the same time… That wouldn’t work though as you would have no cursor to be able to select things on the crafting window as it would already be in use to control your movement!

Whoa there! I’m surprised the community hasn’t jumped on this yet, even if it is still morning for some of us!

Central guild representation earned via profession? Ben’s leaving the Central Guild? Is this due to internal strife? Will there now be inter-dev warfare that spans not only across multiple cubicles but also across multiple worlds?

In all seriousness I really like the GUI in that screenshot! Looks great and is easy to read and get information from at a glance.

Also loving the glyph for Guild of Winkyface :wink:

2 Likes

The crafting menu was an example. At the moment you can’t do anything else (eg. running around) if you open a menu / inventory. In most other games this is possible (It’s a commen case for me that i sort my inventory while i run around and seeking ressources). It’s annoying that the inventory or crafting menu blocks me from other interactions with the game. It happend in the past that i got kille from a splitter that shoot in my back while i sorted items because i didn’t saw it :frowning:

I think there are as many games where you can move while sorting your inventory as there are where you can’t.

1 Like

I’ve not seen many games of this type that actually allow you to do that. You would have a conflict of control. Do you use your mouse as your character to look around or as a cursor to move things in your inventory? It just doesn’t make any logical sense!!

I think in your case, having some kind of visual on screen indication that you were being attacked would have been beneficial :wink:

Best example is Guild Wars (1/2). You can hit “r” for auto-run and open you invetory and sort stuff. If there is any obstacle in front of you you adjust your movement direction (eigther with the mouse or WASD). This worked perfectly fine for most of the players. With this system you can use your time more efficiant because you can do “two” things at a time (seeking ressources and sorting your inventory).

Yep, this has been requested in some other posts but till now it’s not in the game.

1 Like

I can see it now … you hit auto-run so you can sort your inventory, only to find out that you have either run into a big group of monsters and a dead end, or you’ve just run to the bottom of the lake :laughing:

Movement + Inventory is tricky. We need to use a lot of the keyboard buttons in the GUI for faster navigation, so it’s not as simple as ‘just allow it’. Keyboards have plenty of redudant keys, but controllers don’t so also have to consider that. It’s definitely something I’m looking at though :thumbsup: consider yourselves heard, and me doing something.

2 Likes

some funny things happend because of auto-run yes :smiley: you died because you where running with the world map full-screen opend or you where running and sorting and missed a pit. but over all it’s a usefull feature once you’ve learned to handle it.

thanks, this would be really great. If you talk about “fast navigation” is this because of gamepads and console players or are there so many things to do in a single menu that you need that for usability ?

I can’t remember but could you play GW in first person? Because that might also be a reason why you can’t do stuff while sorting your inventory. You just wouldn’t have the needed overview.

Of course they’re looking into 3rd and 1st person gameplay but still it might be worth considering.

3rd person.

You are right, if you do this in 1st person the changes increase to miss a pit or an obstacle in front of you. The worlds in B< are also more dangerous because of the topology (fling rocks, deep gapes in the ground, lava … and so on). But there are also wide planes where nothing is around you and where you might want to do things in parallel. I only liked to mention it because it did well for me in the past. If it can’t be done in parallel because of the implementation problems i’d could live with it.

2 Likes