[CRAZY IDEA] Bunch of Gob's Gameplay suggestions

Yes! As it is implemented now, atmospheric hazards act as nothing but a check against your talent tree. This is a shallow game mechanic.

2 Likes

Here’s a challenge for you:

• rejoin :smiley:

Regards,

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Im sure I’ll be back eventually, just no motivation to rebuild from scratch yet!
Would love to return to a combat update/more challenges in game when I do though

3 Likes

The reason Valheim has had a tremendous breakout popularity, to me, is not just one thing.
In my case, the environmental mechanics are not what made me have fun.

• That game have pretty hard bosses to take down, something Boundless lacks. There are (albeit small) dungeons, ruins with chests to find.
• The biomes are not just recolors of assets from the previous biomes. They are visually unmistakably different.
• When building, you actually have furniture items, and reasons to build them (beds being checkpoints, and the whole comfort buff I mentioned previously for banners, chairs, tables, torches, carpets, display-pins to put weapons and shields, etc). You have a LOT of crafting stations and make and the upgrades (similar to the power coils) look good, so you don’t feel like hiding them.
• It’s a game with building, but not tied to blocks like Minecraft or Boundless, so you have that much more freedom when designing your home base. I actually had fun building outposts on new islands.
• You have armors to craft.
• You have boats to sail and fight sea creatures, and the feeling of sailing is pretty awesome, especially with friends.

Now, I’d lie if I said I was still playing Valheim, the high was short-lived as there’s no reason to keep playing once you’ve beaten Yagluth (for now). I await patiently the release of the ‘Hearth & Home’ update to go back to our world to see what’s up.

But it’s pointless to say Boundless outclass Valheim in terms of community and ecomony since Valheim is not an MMO. I don’t even think Iron Gate has a forum outside of Steam. Of course it doesn’t have ‘an economy’, there’s only one NPC selling about 10 items, and I’ve never even seen a video of Valheim with more than 5 people playing together.

Agreed, it would certainly be better to make the survival things I mentioned only a part of the higher tier worlds. I’d actually take that over all the player-placed blocks have more life.

I’ll give one thing to Boundless, what is there is well executed.
I spent some time on No Man’s Sky, and I’ve never seen a game so awfully designed before. When we tried it for roughly 50 hours, we really went in with the mindset “ok, good ol’ academic try”, and every step of the way, it was like the game went “so, imma un-intentionally give you a reason to want to uninstall right now” and we were often saying “And this game is now better than it was when it first released? Can’t imagine how bad it was then!”
Basically, No Man’s Sky made me appreciate Boundless a lot more. ^^

1 Like

If building stuff wasnt balanced for the people that basically live in boundless to the point that when i do what to build something i dont feel like stabbing my eyes out because of the ungodly grind…

you know… just the little things.

3 Likes