CRAZY IDEA : Detail chisel + New shape combos

This is pretty much a follow-up to the new square+bevel shape suggestion I made a while :

Then I thought “eh, but why stop there?”
To me, Boundless differentiates from other building games by the chisel-work, most of all things.

So how about a chisel more precise than a precise chisel?

How about a Detail Square Chisel allowing us to make blocks as thin as a glass pane?

But wait!
What if we had more combinations of shapes, like using a Slope Chisel on a block that was previously cut in half by a square chisel to make a half-slope?

Remember that square+bevel shape I suggested a while ago?

How about more crazy stuff like that?

And how about a new chisel to make cylinder shapes?

8 Likes

Love those ideas, really opens up lots of possibilities. I’d also suggest a dedicated, craftable stair block. Similar to chests and beams (stylish, ornate, etc.), just join/snap them together.

I’m all for these, just linking out to Luca’s reply to a request for new chisel shapes for reference.

1 Like

Good idea :+1:
We never have enough shapes to build with …
… I have my doubts whether the round shapes you propose are feasible - even possible - in the Boundless voxel engine.
If so, that would be great to know.
Keep on :boundless: building.

all of them plus more steps of lattice and an anti-lattice for pipes/holes would be nice

1 Like

I’ve linked the same answer multiple times but people always take me as an insane person and just ignore me lol.

1 Like

First off: Yes, the more shapes the better!
Secondly, though: The addition of compound chisel shapes, i.e. a block containing 2 or more types of chisels would vastly increase the amount of possible shapes, as mentioned by Dev’s and others so perhaps highly unlikely to happen?
Thirdly: IF I had to pick any of your ideas instead of all of them?: Cylinder! I’ve wanted this since I first heard of beams/poles and was disappointed to find they were all so narrow.

Yeah, if I had to chose, I would go for the cylinder, too.
Though, if they do a cylinder type of block, I would hope they would manage to make the texture wrap 3 times around it, instead of 2 or 4.

But I think (and might be totally wrong) that the glass panes are now voxel-based items, which is why they don’t count toward the mesh-limit.
So adding a chisel to cut a block to glass-pane-size seems more likely.

If only we could get alternative shapes for existing chisels instead…