CRAZY IDEA : Meteorite Tractor Beam

@Xaldafax mentioned this thread to me during our oort hunt tonight, and I had an idea that I think might be worth thinking about.

Roughly, your tractor beam idea but instead of being built or crafted for single use, it is a daily use item that every player gets to use for free daily. Yes, free daily, but does not roll over or get stored if you dont use it.

Additionally, this tractor beam is weak, only capable of trapping small level one meteors. Buuuut, if you use it in conjunction with another player’s beam… you can capture a level two, three, up to level 8 meteor to exactly where you want it. Middle of a Colosseum? Sure, why not. Make an event of it even, but you can only get one charge on your tractor beam daily, and (if that’s not balanced enough) you only get a meteor life on a summoned meteorite that you used your own charge on. No freeloading off other peoples tractor beam charge. What you do get is easy access to at least one meteor, on your own terms, daily. With a little cooperation from 8 friends, you can summon massive lvl meteors to challenge you and your team.

I think the tractor beam is an awesome idea, and with a few tweaks would make a fun event for both hunters and spectators.

2 Likes

As discussed I do support a daily use item (per account) in some form like this. This type of design does limit farming capabilities because you can’t keep activating it over and over.

That’s a great idea, indeed, and a compromise I can get behind! :wink:
@Havok40k I’ll add your idea as a quote in the OP, in case a dev passes through. Wouldn’t want it to be missed.

What’s also great about your idea is that it means everybody can be more active in the process of the hunt. You come, you help to summon (unless the hunt is already more than 8 people).

I’d personally still think it should be a craftable item, as I don’t see how it would fit in the game mechanics as it stands.
I mean, a level 1 character would have this? Why would that be something a character has as a native skill and nothing else like the beacon plotter or the grapple for example? When would it be introduced in the tutorial? What keys would you have to press to deploy the device?
BUT with your addition of having a cooldown of 24 hours, it would mean that there would only be one item instead of one per tier, which in my book is also a plus.

1 Like