CRAZY IDEA : Upgrade machine

GONE!

By Crazy Idea, I mean something that will likely never happen, but hey, let’s dream.

So I’m personally not a fan of RNG (Random Number Generator, for the newbies) outside of how much damage a weapon can do and such.
The way the Centraforge is mostly about RNG annoys me greatly.

So I thought, what if the Centraforge was GONE?

Don’t panic!

Woah-woah-woah, calm down!

So, what if instead of the Centraforge, we had an Upgrader machine.
Changing the name or machine visual wouldn’t even be required, really, but the idea would be to ‘reforge’ (ha-ha) the Centraforge.
In essence, that’s it.

Feature 1 : Crafting augments!

That machine’s first tab would allow us to craft augments, instead of the Compactor, and there would be more augments.
To simplify things, all Boons and Quirks would become craftable Augments, and Defects would be gone, because really, who needs them?
Each Boon / Quirk / Augment would have 5 ranks, as they already do in the Centraforge.

Feature 2 : Socketing augments!

Now, all tools and weapons would get up to 3 slots where you can socket the permanent Boon and Quirk upgrades.
To summarize, the idea would be to simply remove the whole RNG aspect of Centraforging, removing the feeling of wasting materials when you don’t get exactly what you wanted, and allowing every player to craft upgrades in a straight-forward manner without feeling like they need a guide to know which gum = which boon.
Casing point, I feel the need to check this sign I made every so often :

The only Centraforge compounds that would stay would be the Setting and Deconstruction resins, to apply or remove Boons and Quirks in slots.
But the old compounds/gums/pastes/catalysts could be re-used as components to craft the boons/quirks augment-items.

In the end, this all means that people wouldn’t have to hope someone sells the exact tool they want with the exact boons/quirks they need for a job : they’d be able to simply buy the boons/quirks as items and socket these themselves without any headaches.

BUT WAIT.

Let’s go even further!

Feature 3 : Upgrade!

What if this new Centraforge machine had another feature. What if it could hold some blocks & items to upgrade them?
Some items would gain a new word in their description : a simple “Upgradable”, right next to where you’d read “Axe tool” under “Titanium balanced axe”.
This would signify that you can shove the block, object, tool or weapon in the machine to upgrade if by spending the required materials, IF there isn’t a way to already convert the item into one of a higher tier.

Here’s an example : There is a way to turn Refined gleam into Decorative gleam through the Refinery, so the Refined gleam wouldn’t be upgradable through the modified Centraforge.
But there is no way to turn Linear mosaic into Fish-scale mosaic and into Mosaic. So the Upgrade machine would simply ask for Enriched bounding-agent to turn the Linear mosaic into Fish-scale mosaic, and so on.
With the right balance of materials to pay, the machine would be able to convert a Power-coil into an Advanced power-coil, or an Iron furnace into a Titanium furnace!
It’d be able to upgrade the quality of a stack of beacon fuel, or convert a titanium tool into a gem tool.

9 Likes

What impact would you expect this to have on the game’s economy? I’m just starting to learn about these things, but it’s my understanding that the RNG and the relative complexity of centraforging creates a bit of an economic niche for some players.

1 Like

While I like the forging as is, I would very much like the ability to cast spells from totem augments. In fact doing way more with augments would be awesome. Maybe this machine could crank out limited use boons that could be swapped out like caster gun ammo from Outlaw Star? (if anyone else was a fan of that show)

Example: run an AoE boon for like 100 hammer swings before it’s spent and then swap it for another boon for the next 100 swings or something (100 is a random num. whatever works best)

1 Like

I’m sure the economy would get over it.
I think it’s healthier if the economy doesn’t strive of RNG things like the current Centraforge system.

1 Like

Maybe if you’re a max level forger (forge epic + the related effectiveness/vigor skills) then you don’t have to worry about RNG?
(Idk, RNG in forging does need to be looked at)

It would be cool if we could also have a mass transformation machine, example:
Change 5 SS of Meta Rock to Sed Rock

2 Likes

TBH, I think I’m just bad at it or something. Even on testing with all the materials I could need at my fingertips, I still need 3 batches to get an AoE Diamond hammer.
It just seem so overly complicated to me. You might have all the right gums in, but if the Centraforge doesn’t give you the right boon, you gotta spend more vigor to use a boon solvent to re-roll the boon, which in-of-itself means you’ll likely won’t have enough vigor left to get what you wanted in the first place.

3 Likes

Same here, it’s why I buy tools lol I get that it’s supposed to be difficult, but…the RNG is way too much.

Every time I try to forge it’s so frustrating, and I don’t really get what I need.
(Darn you crit, glow, magnet boon)

This happens way too much, and is a big part of the frustration.

4 Likes

I’ll talk, stream, teach forging anytime. Gimme a ping on discord if you need any help with it. I can’t guarantee a perfect AoE hammer every time, but I CAN offload most of the mat costs to decon resin.

1 Like

What if we had an epic to allow us to forge standalone boons? It would allow forgers to market single boon rolls without having to invest in gear to forge.

That way it could work just like Goblin describes with slotting them into gear.

1 Like

do like crafting and socketing augments idea.
I like it a lot.

would seem to be a more approachable system for newer players than the current forge system while still having a layer of complexity that would satisfy the more established players.

3 Likes

I would love any of these ideas but they want forging to be annoying… and when everybody figures forging out they’ll probably just “rebalance” it again.

2 Likes

Oh I agree greatly…the central forge is so random it almost makes you throw your hand co controller through the screen in centraforge rage…Lol .lets put longevity gum and give me magnet boon instead…its stupid how it works…But I guess why make it to easy.

1 Like

I really feel like there should be another epic skill on the skill page for raising the flexibility of lucent gear and totems.

Plus 40 point to flexibility of lucent and totems. (Cost would be more than 5 skill points. Maybe 20-40 skill points)
Making you have to level your forger much higher to get this perk.

Everyone who forges has a designated skill page or character for forging. I believe you only need level 17 character to have a max forger.

I think this would be great. What do you think?
@james

YES!!! I am 1000% down for this.
This change might even get me back in the game to do what I had originally planned after EA. The RNG made me quit forging.

Abso-freaking-lutely.

2 Likes

I guess that could work, but I’d take that as a band-aid solution, a really temporary fix.
• You’d still have people needing an online guide or notes to which gums = which boons.
• You’d still have this awkward system of assigning new features to boons which requires forging dedicated tools…
• It would still be mostly RNG-based.

But with this suggestion :

• You’d have the straight-up recipes in the Centraforge to make a boon / quirk, allowing you to know what gums and such are needed.
• You could socket / un-socket boons/quirks as needed. A new feature (like the lattice-work boon) could be simply crafted as a stand-alone item and sold.
• Death to RNG!

And why not have an epic skill allowing you to enjoy the effect of a fourth slot in any tool/weapon? Like, you could swing a tool/weapon with 4 boons/quirks, but only enjoy 3 of them unless you have the epic skill needed. Could even add another epic skill to have 5 slots, etc. Like, why not?

1 Like

I don’t mind the forge. It’s hard to figure out at first. And can make me want to smash my TV. But at the same time it brings so much joy to @superman101 when listening to me forge and getting loot magnet for the tenth time in a row. And once you get a technique that works. It’s not that bad. Lucent gear is still out of my forging ability. At least for good AOE tools. Having something to raise the flexibility would help more people forge lucent without using the infinite forge technique.

2 Likes

“The wha-uh?”

1 Like

It’s how people max forge lucents currently.

The way you say it sounds like some kind of bug-exploit. ^^’

Not a bug, nor an exploit, it’s mighty expensive to do so many don’t use it…