CRAZY IDEA : Weather control system

I’ve tried gleambow hunting on McRib and at night you can’t see. Pull out a glow totem and still can’t see because of the fog you are surrounded by even though it’s not raining or anything. Even happens on exos. It frustrating.

1 Like

Our dome on gyosha is completely enclosed but it still foggy as all hell it it’s raining and some times when it’s not. Is there a certain “space spec” where weather effect will still happen? Like 2-3 plots high you will still get rain or something?

Is the notion of weather control viable? I imagine it would require a lot of retooling?

Can weather be local…so on my computer the machine makes the pretty effects but everyone else sees whatever?

Just curious if weather could even be ‘controlled’ in a plot.

1 Like

It sneaks through unchiseled stuff too, like the original glass blocks

Snowing on top of the glass blocks but also appears on the foliage that is placed under the unchiseled glass blocks.

1 Like

im talking about particle effects of snow rain. the snow covering here is not technically passing through the glass either… its just the sampling frequency of the foliage vertices that puts that small blend onto it.

1 Like

@lucadeltodecso I’d be more concerned about knowing if the weather effects can be modified by plot, like @Tagris pointed out. That was the part of the suggestion I was the most un-sure of when writting it.

Hey, I just noticed, it’s technically my 20th CRAZY IDEA© (meaning it’s an idea that I myself would consider unlikely to be implemented by the devs, but would still be pretty awesome)!

Just in case you wanna see more crazy stuff, you can make a search for “CRAZY IDEA” in the search engine of the forum. :smiley:

#SelfPromotion #UpVoteThemAll #SomebodyStopMe

2 Likes

Hahah :ok_hand: love it

2 Likes

yes oplease, awesome idea :smiley: i really want to get rid of that annoying snowing…

Especially when Oortmas will start and it will snow about every 5 minutes.

1 Like

I wish you had provided an option to be against this or that no change should happen. I don’t agree with adjusting weather on a beacon level. If people feel weather is off, we should be changing it on a planet and game level. I might support a “machine” idea but not sure.

Less rain and way less fog please

2 Likes

Didn’t think of that since the suggestion itself seemed like a good compromise because I’m sure some players are happy with how the weather currently works. I would add the option to the poll, but it would reset the votes, and that’d be wrong.

Anyway, the whole point was to be able to localy customize weather to add another layer of ambiance to a build.
For instance, my place works WAAAY better with the fall of rose petals and/or leaves, but in the wild, rain/snow/fog seems fine.

IMHO, a machine would be a terrible scenario : do you really think the game needs more damn things to fuel all the time? I certainly don’t.

Although, yeah, a machine would make more sense since it could affect weather in a large radius, instead of a beacon.
If said machine didn’t require fuel, I’d be ok with it… but I’m sure logic would require it to have fuel.

SO, here’s another compromise idea : the Weather-control thing is a machine which requires fuel, BUT Gleam Club would automatically fuel it, like it fuels beacons. Would that be ok?

1 Like

For me the weather is the weather of the planets - don’t like the weather - find another planet. I haven’t seen a comprehensive and well put together post (which I might have missed) about the “problems” with weather so that we could have a correct conversation around it and if changes are needed or not.

I do agree that fog shouldn’t be “inside” a house and that maybe some areas on planets might rain too much (when not a swamp or jungle) but I fear it might require some serious coding to make that work.
Overall, though, not having enough planets or moving options or a variety of other things can cause people to feel that the answer to the “problem” is to just fix the weather. Instead I think we need more data on how the weather is broken before we just link a fix to something like GC and put programming time to give people other options. Because right now the suggestions feel like a band-aid not a solution.

Personally I feel this is just a balance issue overall and people need to be more clear in a post and the problems they are having so that the Dev team can look at adjusting the timers or whatever causes the “rain/snow/etc” to go…

Honestly I wouldn’t be on board with that. GC auto-fuel for a beacon was already a huge break from previous game policy and should have never happened. Plus I don’t agree with GC being tagged to weather stuff on any level at this point. My comment about a machine was only that personally I’d have a conversation around it but honestly doubt I would be swayed to agree with it. I don’t feel the weather is broken and just needs to be tweaked down maybe in some things.

Agree to disagree, then. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Personally I’d like to turn all weather off. Really don’t care for any of it.

2 Likes

For me it is about building the area. Our impact on the planet. If I go to a marsh and turn it into a magical forest that is 20x20 plots wide and redo the entire landscape I would like to also customize the impact it has the environment. Maybe I want more rain, or the sparkly green floaty effect to show the cool magical area I have made.

Weather is an area that can impact the ‘feel’ of a build. Having some level of control is just another area of customization.

If I was building a winter wonderland build, would be cool to have it snow there more…and the like>

I am not certain if I am for ‘complete control’ of weather effects…but love the idea of influencing it to make some weather more likely.

I am all for more customization to make it so our builds feel more like what we want them!

5 Likes

Hit B. Problem solved.

I could see impact to a region in that maybe adjusting weather. I could see a machine helping in that too. Unfortunately, though, I could see changing weather in one spot would adjust it in other areas of the planet then. So more rain in your area might mean less rain in another. Or maybe rivers or streams dry up and crops die.

Since this is a survival game on many levels I think if we allow weather adjustments that there needs to be some adverse response then as well. I think people have forgotten that these are planets and that some planets are going to be hard to live on and the design the devs are trying to put into the game. We have weather for reasons just like we have atmosphere design and protection.

It just feels like people want an “easy button” again with things like this and forget what the game is actually about and instead just focus on the building part of it. Personally those stuck in that mode should probably end up moving into a creative mode (if that is ever made available) or something.

Don’t get me wrong - I sometimes get annoyed by the weather as well. Hence why I say people need to do a better post on “their experience with the weather” and suggestions on how it could be balanced better. That would solve more things in the long run I think because it would stay in the MMO style and world experience the Devs want.

This, 100%.
The original idea was to maybe disable some weather effects out of the roll of potential weather effects in a place depending on your needs, but it could also be some kind of system where you have to move sliders and it’s coded so that the numbers have to always be balanced out. Wanna remove rain? Then you get more of another weather effect.
Just spit-balling there. I remember that kind of feature from the weapon-maker of Worms 3D Mayhem where you had to balance raw damage, terrain damage, knock-back effect and poison effect (Damage-over-time) as to have a weapon that wasn’t too OP.

“Welcome to Boundless and happy Oortmas. Press B twice to get rid of the snow and learn to enjoy the game in building mode until the event ends”.
Yeah.
Great idea Xal. -_-"

Are you comparing weather to the actual environment effects on T4+ worlds which require skill points?
Weather has litterally NO gameplay impact. It’s just a visual effect, plain and simple.
Don’t get me wrong, rain could apply a “Wet” debuff that makes you drain energy faster until you hide under a roof, and I’d be fine with that. But until that happens, rain is just a visual annoyance.
Don’t try to compare current weather effects to “challenge”, saying that we’re arguing for “easy buttons” and stuff, that’s ridiculous.

I’m legit angry at you for saying I should be moved to a Creative Mode just because I like building more than the rest of the game. I feel borderline insulted by that statement.

5 Likes

I think we are more aligned then we realize. Because of text and I am sure I am not typing out my full thoughts or communicating completely.

There are effects that are in the game like currently in the sanctum:
These cool sparkles in the air. They would be cool to appear around my base. There was an exo world that had neat leaf/line effects that were green, I would love those around my base.

To be fair, I built my base where these appeared:
Little dancing ball of light that fade and move around. I wanted them for the ‘feeling’ of the area so I built where i found them spawning and on the world they were on.

Also, there may be two pieces of feedback in this thread.
1- a group that doesn’t like certain weather effects and wants them to be able to turn them off (rain/snow) ect. I am not in that group and fine with random weather patterns.
2 - a group that wants to customize the weather effects for their base to add to the build creating an extra layer of ‘ooooooo’ added to their build.

I would also note I am not tied to the suggestion that GC would pay for it or how it would be implemented. My feedback is simply: “Being able to add effects to the air in my build would be cool”

Maybe that is a new machine and item that is a fuel and people have to “Collect” environmental effects and it creates fuel for the machine…or maybe it is just on the beacon.

I think the devs can balance that. I would enjoy the option so I support the suggestion.

2 Likes

I think this could be done with decorative objects that have effects or blessings on the corresponding beacons. For example, snowmen that give the beacon 5% more chances of attracting snow with a limit of 30% maximum for accumulation. Something like that for every weather option. If technically possible by how the weather is coded, of course. xD

2 Likes