Creative (local) - Download EA and Current Worlds

If possible @James or the Devs that are managing the worlds directly, is there the possibility that we could offer for download the previous EA universe as well as the current live universe worlds for download to the “private creative” part of the game?

This would allow people to basically replace their existing creative world with the ones we have and play on them. If possible it would be nice to have the EA worlds in the state they were right before shut down (even though I know regen isn’t disabled yet in creative). For the current universe we should use the original state (not current) as to make sure people can’t see what others have, etc.

What is the possibility of this? I am thinking the old ones might not be able to be mapped in exactly because of the color palette and some other design changes? Or do they still work fine?

4 Likes

That’s what I think is a very good idea :+1::+1:
I’m all in on that one - Yes, Creative building/working in a [Therka] environment would be very nice. :boundless:

I’ve also once mentioned that I would like to test way more if I could do it on a local copy of Trung so I have my complete workshop with me and can dive right into the testing.

With compactness that would’ve been mighty handy to see the real world impact…

I know that was about Testing, but Testing also has a creative mode so we could do it there…

1 Like

Currently creative mode requires all beacons to be fueled or they will expire - no plans to change that in the immediate future. Being that people can give themselves anything they want, they can easily build out a workshop or anything. So my view is we do not need to deliver the worlds “as they are now” for the current Universe. Instead we can just give people the base planet like we saw on release. Plus that helps make sure people don’t see specifics of what people have in their possession.

Some feedback from Mr. James: The concern is that people will continue to request “refreshed” worlds over and over instead of a one time download.

So my assumption is he was thinking that everyone would require the worlds be delivered as they look now and that people would want updated versions as the game progressed or Exo’s too. If this turns into the “didn’t update the website maps” complaints or too much work, they won’t do this. If we keep this easy we all can likely get the worlds as they were on release. (Maybe even in future get old EA universe too).

So here is a poll (the assumption is new perm worlds would be delivered as well):

• I only want the current Universe worlds being delivered like they were on release day - empty
  • I only want the current Universe worlds as they look now

0 voters

Poll 2 - EXO download (this is a lot of work since Exo are deleted from the Universe - I’m against but adding because someone will ask.)

• I must have Exo planets as well (knowing this might make none of the planets to be offered)
  • I can live without Exo planets (because I don’t want to risk not being able to download current perm planets)

0 voters

Poll 3 - Old EA Universe

• I can live without the old EA Universe
  • I would like to download the old EA Universe (if possible)

0 voters

Sorry I have questions.

1 - So are we talking about a single creative universe for all players or a creative universe that a single player or group of players can request?

2 - Am I understanding James concern properly. I would request a set of planets, play on them for some period of time (say a few weeks) and then request a redownload?

I am talking about the local install of creative (I updated subject) - allowing people to have their own little universe with the planets we currently have. So it would be used by that player (or when it is finally available) the friends that might come and visit. I am not talking about payed rental planets right now.

I wasn’t able to get more specifics but I think that is basically it. People constantly wanting updates of the planets that they would have to provide because it was “expected.” This is what kind of happened with the map website that was offered to us - expectation that things get updated regularly.

I’m a little confused, what will happen to our current universe?

Nothing… this is for the local creative install that is available. It wouldn’t affect public. It only allows people the ability to maybe have that world locally.

1 Like

Oh ok, thanks

This sounds strange.
So “creative mode” in Boundless won’t be intergrated/accessible via the current live universe?
Why does creative mode need extra Exo planets that no one is paying for?
This sounds like a 3rd interation of the live universe (2nd is testing, 3rd is “creative”).
Why do players need their own Universe or a copy of Live?
I guess people aren’t going to get free plots on their own paid planets either?

Can’t it be simplified to be similar to what people are used to? ie: I want to rent a planet. I pay $9.99 a month subscription to rent a medium size planet that is accessible via Live & can host up to 10 different players at one time.

You go into creative and create a world. The world is the SAME for every person currently and there is no customization options. That feature will not be made available for a while until the Devs code it (same goes for private rented planets). You also have the ability to start up more than 1 world in creative. So a person could technically have 1,2,3,etc worlds in their creative game.

So to provide people something else beyond the same planet for all, James made a few worlds and put them up for download - Unofficial Creative worlds to download

I’m just asking for the ability to download a world we already have in this Universe so I can play on it in creative mode. e.g. Alder or whatever.

This has no effect on the public universe. This has no effect on the plans to try to allow people to connect into creative mode to play with friends from public. This has no effect on rental planets (public rules or creative rules) that are planned to happen.

People might want their own Universe because the Creative mode is for solo players and people that do not want to play in the MMO “internet public” universe. It is part of the game design to give people options on how to play Boundless.

At the end of the day I think I got the data I needed - thank you those that took the poll.

I downloaded it and made a creative world too :+1: Didn’t care for it, but that doesn’t matter bc a lot of people like it & this will hopefully lead to big things in the future for the game. Seems like what you’re asking for would have no effect on their future plans to add rental planets…as you mentioned :+1:

@majorvex
Creative is a great tool for us builders …
If we have a copy of the current permanent and or EA planets, we can experiment with our heart’s content with the right color palette and the right lighting environment.
… and no need for gathering or crafting building materials
That would be very nice :+1::grinning:

2 Likes

Exactly one of the reasons why I was trying to get this to happen. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If regen works on the creative planets then I would argue a refresh is not needed. Just delete the beacon and let the world regen back to the natural state of do a forced beacon reclaim if there is a reason you want the materials and let the ash regen.

As far as the topic in general, I am a bit reluctant to commit to any large scale creative world builds until there is a little more structure and certainty about how it will work. I do not want to invest hundreds of hours only to need to start again once multiplayer creative is available.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have my base on creative so i don’t have to re-set everything up… but yeah if we go that rout ppl will want updates every other month… at least… (i would) In absence of that, i wouldn’t care to have the live planets. Simply having a way to generate our own worlds would be enough (though that might be too taxing for low spec PC’s) so day 1 universe is better than nothing…

Depending on what kind of creative planet you have I would think maybe some options would be reasonably possible.

If it is standalone on your pc, maybe they could give the player the setup for each public planet like James did for the 4 sample planets we have now. Give the players the option to “create” the planet in creative mode. They can create as many as their system can support versus the entire universe being too much for certain machines. If they give the players the option to reload a planet from the setup file, then the players could overwrite them and leave the developers out of it. Obviously this would not work for creative planets the developers host, but would work for now.

1 Like

I fully agree with you on this one.
do not start too fast at this moment … just wait and see :+1::grinning: