Curious question about builds regenerating along with the landscape

It may be hidden. It seems there would be ID info on the blocks to prevent other players from taking them, unless that’s all handled by the beacon system. Forged items have the player’s name and only GC members can do colorful text on signs…seems like some assets hold more info than others I guess. I dunno.

This reminds me, I found some lanterns on an EXO :blush: recently…

2 Likes

I mean no disrespect when I say this but I don’t think boundless is or will ever be what you want it to be. What you envision of it anyways. With such a small community if some of these problems such as the view or scenery is actually problematic to some at this point what happens when the game gains popularity? And it will grow I have no doubt about that. Personally I think that that they are holding back marketing due to the fact their servers probably couldn’t handle a large influx of new players but when they do this game could really explode in popularity.

I hope I’m wrong here because I want everyone to enjoy their experience in the game but I feel like you’re just going to hate the game more and more as well as finding more and more things you think are broken in the mechanics as the community expands.

As far as player made content it’s a great idea. Hate to bring Minecraft into conversation but it’s literally the standard for sand box games. One of the most popular games of all time as well. Yes the devs had a good deal to do with game but it’s the community itself that pushed the boundaries and made it what it is today. They got there with players pushing and exploring every mechanic, which I many cases ended being added to game by devs.

1 Like

If you possibly get a chance to do so, @lucadeltodecso, could you give us some insight here? Or another one of the devs perhaps? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The irony of you saying this in a thread of someone demanding Boundless be something different, and @Xaldafax was the one questioning if it should in fact not change at all, seems to have been lost on you, given the game, in this instance, is already how you think he wanted it to be.

I’m not demanding anything. It’s called a question and an idea. Big difference.

The hypocrisy of someone who is upset that Boundless isn’t an MC clone & won’t change it’s MMO genre to solo…

3 Likes

I think the regen on them should be slowed down by an extreme amount, but not 100% halted, that way they slowly start to decay and start to look like ruins over a period of months.

2 Likes

What seems to be lost on you is she is not trying to change the game, she wants to add to the game. It’s added content that doesn’t have any negative impact on absolutely anyone.

Another thing lost on you is just because I don’t reply to every thread doesn’t mean I don’t read them , and he’s clearly said multiple time on multiple post that’s thinks many things are broken within game. So I wasn’t referring to just this thread but either way Both statements I made had reference to things he directly said in this thread.

If you have actual arguments to what I said and not just go for the “ I got you “ game I glad to discuss but if not I got cops to tend to.

1 Like

A few things to consider:

Preventing or slowing regen on previously player built plots - does the time plotted affect what happens to the plot? will areas regen normally if manually unplotted? Will this affect only blocks placed or also blocks deleted? (will your room’s inside be filled with regen rock?) At what point does regen occur again? if a beacon ran out will that plot remain unregen-able untill someone else replots and manually deletes it? How long until players build offensive structures minutes before the beacon runs out so that they can’t easily be traced as the culprits? will editing the plot at all (incl building or breaking blocks) restart regen? will the game have to remember the shape and size of all ex beacons ad infinitum or will it be on a per-plot basis? if so, will abandoned builds have single plot holes that regenned? lots of things to consider.

My vote - keep it clean with regen as is. :+1:

Edit: current regen is done per chunk, and even as such had significant performance impact in previous iterations. I’m not sure if changing regen to per-plot would be technically viable. For reference, a chunk is a 4 plot square, extending from mantle to build limit.

I’m to tired and don’t want to read any more today^^ only want to add. It would be cool, but air blocks should natural regen.
That way if there was something build where rock and soil was the build fuse with environment.

2 Likes

Underground basses filled in and come across while digging and have to dig out (srr) (sleep now :wink:)

Something to ponder for sure.

They would act the same as they do now. If you remove items, they are removed. If you leave items, they are left for looters, regen, etc.

Once blocks are removed from the game or regenerated, they are gone. As they are now.
[/quote]

Regen would only occur if someone regens it (unless they were to go with a slow regen process instead of totally waiting for players to do it).

If a beacon runs out, it will be immediately “regen-able” as it is now.

What prevents anyone from making an offensive build now, then deleting the beacon and leaving it up for 4+ hours?

It will work the same as it does now. If you find a smoking beacon and place a block, does that stop regen?

It would do it the same way that it currently remembers things for 4+ hours or until someone regens it.

That’s cool. Thank you for your questions & thoughts :+1::blush:

Hmmm, lots to think about here, now. I still like the idea, but there have been some pretty good counter points, mostly on the technical side.
Which is what I was trying to get at in the beginning. :grin:

My suggestion: A build must have been refueled x times before being considered for “ruin” status. “Ruin status” could be treated like “wild”, “reserved”, and “owned”. After a build has been around awhile and the beacon has expired, depending upon a certain set of tallies(like frequency of ff, prestige, proximity to other beacons) it could receive “ruin status”. Thus changing it on both the plot level and chunk level.
For the nitty gritty i propose that a certain percentage of the build is auto regenned at the normal rate, then upon reaching that point it is slowed drastically. It can still be regenerated manually or replotted, but for an extended period of time it exists until it fully decays week/months later.

1 Like

The minter also wasn’t around back then. Every block has a purpose now. It’s all coin

Ok … first off I am not trying to attack you so I don’t know where all the hostility is coming from. You are constantly getting mad at me because you feel I take something you said out of context and then you decide to call me out for something I did not say instead of asking a clarifying question. If you are pissed off because of the other threads or had a bad day then fine but I don’t need any bad attitude when I was just trying to have a conversation about something you suggested. And quite honestly even support it as some level.

I did not say you didn’t want other things the devs said they were going to give us. I am talking specifically to your suggestion post and not trying to bring in other ideas you might have or want or not want.

I don’t see how “stars” and “bold” are relevant to a conversation we are just trying to have. You and I are able to talk on PM without that need so I don’t see why it needs to happen here.

The blocks you are talking about (as far as I know) are pre-created assets that are introduced into the planet. Just like the trees. Someone designed them and then they are placed somehow into the world. So they become part of the world and are not “identified” (however they do that) as player placed blocks.

Based on the assumptions I have this is why I mentioned the parts around player placed and plots, etc. I would expect them to be treated differently and that once a beacon is removed the planet map is then applied back through regen.

I am not trying to make anything more complicated. I’m trying to have a technical conversation around it so it could get complicated. But since it seems to be making you even more mad or willing to just derail our conversation around it - I will stop discussing it.

Why would you think I felt you “needed” me to talk for you? You are your own person and James has said people are welcome to PM him. He doesn’t always respond so I know at least when I am using my hour to ask questions he would give an answer back and we could have data… So give me a darn break. I don’t need that junk from people when I was just offering help.

People don’t have to let anything go they don’t want to. In the end it is the same game we signed up for and decide to play each day - the parts we love and the parts we don’t like.

Obviously the build is important to them in some way because they didn’t remove it… That just makes sense. A person sharing a view does not mean that are requiring another person to do anything. It is an obvious reality that each view point is subjective in nature and most of the times has no relevance to the real discussion at hand.

So it is ridiculous to try to push some narrative that others in this forum push that I only want my own ideals and values applied to this game. I’ve proved countless times that I am flexible and willing to talk through things as well as take personal responsibility. There are plenty of other people that you should focus your ire on about pushing their own “agendas” since they don’t ever move the line in the sand they have drawn.

I don’t want a boring repeatable pre-fab design. I want a player support with some Dev pre-fab Dungeon, Ruin, and Treasure thing to explore. As I have stated before we are more aligned to the idea you are pushing that opposed.

1 Like

I do really appreciate you opening up your post with the “no disrespect” comment. I just don’t understand on any level how you could continue though with the statement that the game cannot become what I envision when I’ve never posted that information or talked directly with you. No assumptions on any level should be made about what I envision… and quite honestly it is of no real relevance because I am not developing the game. Plus, hell I don’t know exactly what I envision so you can you!!! hehe…

I just want less conflict between people, more creativity options, and each person to enjoy the Boundless Universe and planets in the way they enjoy without having to have people around unless they want that.

You hit on the point that is probably frustrating most to me and some other people I know. How does anyone support you (to create the great slides you do and cool builds in the unique building experience that you bring) and provide someone like me (who likes a bit more nature and natural landscapes) the ability to live side by side without maybe causing some issues.

That is a problem and I think many of us worry about what would the game be like if we had more people. I know I don’t always come off like I support other people’s builds and what they do… but honestly I really do. 100% and would fight for it… but I also want to fight for each person having the best experience they want in the game.

I think we need to find ways to solve this or push the devs to because we this small group doesn’t get along all the time (and we all try to be family) imagine what it will be like when 5000 or more people are playing. I don’t want worse fights just as much as the rest of you.

1 Like

lol What? I am not hostile at all. I have every right to respond & reply if you @ me.

Says who? I’ve never been “mad” at you or anyone one.

Where did I say that? What did I call you out for that you did not say?

Again, not mad about anything & my days are fine. Thanks for asking.

Excuse you?

It’s called highlighting something and I wanted to use it. It doesn’t matter if you think what I did or said is relevant. Yes, I respond to your PMs.

What you do with your phone call is your business. Give you a break for what? I’m just responding on a public forum. What junk? Responses you don’t like or don’t agree with?

I also said this.

So my own view points aren’t relevant to my own topic? Odd.

What? I’m not pushing anything. If you feel guilty about something, that’s on you, not me.

My day is just fine & I’m not mad at anyone. If you are, hopefully tomorrow will be better for you.

4 Likes

Your posting style, tone, and words you have chosen gave that impression to me and is how I felt in some areas of your response. Then saying stuff like I called builds ugly when I did not and in this past post coming off a tad condescending.

If you aren’t mad then ok. I misunderstood your posting style and apologize.

1 Like

Listen. This is a gaming forum and that’s how I take it. I’m not mad at you at all. Or anyone else. Sometimes we will agree on things and sometimes we won’t. That’s ok. There’s no need to try to “fix” that. It’s alright.

There are several people that said they didn’t like this particular idea, some stated why…and that’s totally fine. I hear you…you said you like some things, but see issues with some. I read everything you wrote & I see your points. Just because I don’t agree with or don’t like something you said, doesn’t mean I’m mad. If I ever get mad, I promise I will let you know. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This is to everyone, not just you…
You know me…I defend all builders, even at my own expense lol & I’m not even a builder. I do that because I try to imagine being in their shoes. I remember playing my 1st building game, how exciting the simplest things were, having fun, etc. I build some really wonky stuff lol. If someone has found a way to enjoy themselves and it’s not hurting anyone else, I don’t see any reason to bully them or judge them.

6 Likes

Awesome idea but how do you erase your own build I normally Regan bomb my own build when I wanna start over on a section of my build

1 Like