Death Penalty, buffs, debuffs

I just died on my gatherer, none hunter from a spitter that wouldn’t stop chasing me…Now I have to bust 750 blocks just to pay back death penalty. I don’t even want to play this character now. It’s only level 12. i’m literally going to go play an alt now.

I mean I’ve heard of xp reduction for like 30 minutes in other games. But this is not fun. I mean I was running and trying to be full. At low levels there isn’t such a thing as health drinks yet. It “feels like” it just multiplies. I know it doesn’t. I understand how it works.

2 Likes

The death penalty doesn’t stack, if you die before paying it off it resets. This is still pretty frustrating though as I have just died 4 times in a row and each time was just before the penalty was about to be payed off. It’s my own fault though because I was on a rugged metal world looking for silver and tech components with my crafter character so I could try and progress. My advice to any new players apart from obviously don’t start on a higher level planet is to start specing a hunter first.

1 Like

I don’t understand how the death penalty works. After I die, I get the death status icon but I can still see my character gaining experience. Does the total amount increase?

When you die, you get the death penalty debuff icon. Depending on your level, the amount of the debuff will vary.

Let’s say the debuff is 1,500 experience.

As you gain experience, 50% of that experience will go to your character’s level, the other 50% will go towards the debuff until it is gone.

For example:

If you die and get a 1,500 experience death penalty debuff and complete a feat worth 1,000 experience, 500 of that experience goes towards the debuff and the other 500 of that experience goes towards your level. So after you complete the feat worth 1,000 experience, your death penalty debuff will go from 1,500 experience to 1,000 experience. You will then need to do activities that are worth another 2,000 experience to get rid of the remaining 1,000 experience death penalty debuff.

2 Likes

I fully understand it already. It just feel like it sometimes.

Good to mention and remind though. I still hate it. I think the xp you have to make up is too much.

3 Likes

OMG, as a crafting gatherer. 7850 death xp penalty 1 death. Totaly turned the game off and went to bed.

I hated gear durabilty loss in the past, but man I hate the amount of -xp gets racked up. I can’t make xp faster just because I am level 32 to the extent that it justify’s how much of a percent it goes up from lower levels. Such bs and painful and not fun. I don’t even want to play that character.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this feeling. I like the new death penalty. For the most part you are barely punished.

You still progress in levelling, just slightly slower. It doesn’t even stop you , just slows you.

I honestly just ignore dying. There is no rush to Max level, the game is fun to play at any of the given levels.

I dunno :wink: just my take of course.

5 Likes

I can understand both points of view. Currently I am in the doldrums of the level 30’s. It takes a lot of xp to level and I really need the skill points to be able to safely navigate the upper tier worlds. I do get frustrated when I have to mine an extra 1000-2000 rocks in order to start accruing xp at the normal rate. Especially when I died due to falling into a hole someone else dug. I have sometimes just logged off and sometimes decided to work through it.

At the same time I know I am in the game for the long haul and the hours it takes to get out of the penalty are really not going to matter to me at some point. Now am I in a rush to level, yes I am, but that is my choice not a game requirement.

Your death penalty doesn’t stack on an existing death penalty, it just resets the penalty to 100%, death penalties increase with level, the higher level you are, the more it’ll penalize.

I find bomb mining on lvl 1 planets quite effective in removing death penalties with copper/silver bombs having a 3m radius, a single batch of stone will get you around ~440 experience and if you’ve got good Power it only takes a couple bombs.

Also, there is a death penalty epic which removes 50% of the penalty, that could help out a lot in higher levels!

1 Like

When you level only the death penalty grows. your xp doesn’t grow. A poor mechanic to punish people for leveling. YES there should be a punishment. Just not so extreme. We already lose all our buffs, the meteor and have to crawl back to normal xp on half xp.

You don’t get higher xp on higher planets or the higher your level. The only xp that grows is how much it takes to level. At lower levels you can move past this pretty easy. At higher levels it Literally it takes half a day to regain past your xp punishment. And that’s sitting in front of the game grinding the whole time solid. I literally heard someone else say this to when I was lower levels, and thought like you did. Now I cry.

Anyone who says , “This feels nice” in it’s current form mean you simply havn’t made it past level 30 yet, or are a defense stacked hunter. And you didn’t just loose an expensive buff. Half a day extra work is NOT fun in a game that’s casual to be one that’s so unforgiving. My hunter does not have this problem. But to be a great crafter, you don’t get the luxury of defense.

1 Like

Compared to the old death penalty (big hit to tools/weapon durability) this is much easier to recover, and it doesn’t stack up if you died repeatedly. Gem weapons and tools are expensive, and losing most of one to a random death could set you back quite a lot.

You are right that the XP gains don’t scale very much with level, so riskier high level planets don’t offer any XP reward to offset the inherent risks. This favors a more conservative play style, but it makes high level cuttletrunks (which will chase you forever), or the breath/drowning bug particularly negative things to experience.

Still, on the balance, I think the new death penalty is much less severe at high levels than the old durability loss was. So long as you have food. My early experience with it was quite terrible and I hope those conditions have been corrected.

however, there was a skill that let you eliminate the death penalty in the old universe and almost everyone got it. So they took no damage at all to their expensive tools. The current skill does reduce the death penalty but does not eliminate it.

1 Like

I am level 50, and died many times in my 40s.

Also, my exp gains have significantly increased as I gained levels :wink:

Bomb mining with 7 aoe bombs is much faster then my low level hammer mining. Even my AOE mining is better exp and gathers more to refine/compress/build.

My AOE shovel gets me huge returns both on what I craft and gather.

How many alts do you play with? If you are sub 50 and have alts specialized in hunting/crafting/building/crafting, then you are already dividing your experience by the number of alts you have. That is a choice that slows your progression, you could wait to level alts or even have then until you are 50…I did.

Having specialized characters so early will only hamstring your advancement…if levels are your goal.

If that is the case :wink: I wouldnt worry about the exp penelty I would change your tactic since you are already dividing your experience lol

1 Like

All of what you are describing requires successful use of the centraforge, which is not explained in game any meaningful way.

I would expect some kind of nerf to come to bomb mining. I hope for an XP only nerf, hopefully to large radius bombs, because you are correct that it is very, very effective. The developers have mentioned they are looking closely at bomb mining, so I hope an XP nerf is the worst that happens to it.

If I could figure out the centraforge I’d certainly use some of these improved tools you and others so readily make and use. Maybe tonight I’ll watch jiivita’s video and finally make some progress with it.

100% agree. other than mining bombs suck because they are so inaccurate. Hope its just an xp nerf.