Decorative Crops lasting less than 2 weeks?

OK how about this. If you do not fertilize the plant you do not get prestige but the plant does not wither? Make the timer a prestige timer that times out unless you refertilize the plant.

3 Likes

That sounds perfect to me.

How about a preserving substance of some kind that you apply like fertilizer but it stops the plant from progressing and removes it’s prestige value? That way you can have decorative stuff at any stage and it introduces a bit of a material cost to do so.

4 Likes

I think in order for this to work then the seeds would have to be a MUCH rarer drop chance or crafting cost. I think it’s brilliant that they have created a use/value for several items that had previously next to no value whatsoever (rice, oats and basic flowers) and have created another item worth collecting from exos if they happen to be a nice colour.

Otherwise seeds are just going to accumulate in storage, they will become valueless, no doubt people are going to end up planting massive fields of the things just because they can and once again rice and oat become as valueless as plain old earthyams once were prior to the addition of smoothies.

I would like them to be a feature of a build that I can proudly show off and everytime I stroll past it I can say to myself “yeah that’s right people! Stop, stare, admire and be jealous of my urine yellow Ornamental Oortweed highlighted in the finest Serpenserindi gleam!” And when it withers and dies… I will simply plant another one and eagerly wait for it to grow into it’s full glorious mature state!

1 Like

I am going to use them to help judge whether a plot owner has been around in the past 4-6 weeks, so there is that…

Edit: also, they last 3 ticks, which “averages” 4 weeks based on their tick chance… but it also means that they can very realistically die inside a 3 day cycle ingame if all the odds are against that little plant. C’est la vie.

Yeah well you come and say “I don’t understand” while I spent a long post explaing the WHY, and like you said, you missed the very clearly spelled-out part about prestige not being the important factor.
How do you want me not to be annoyed?

Is that so hard to understand that most players play video-games to not have extra-chores?

The main part of the game is building. You don’t have to repair your blocks all the time (thank god for that), you just have to fuel the beacon.
That’s almost the single part of the game that’s actually REALLY enjoyable.

Again, I’m sorry, but chores like having to farm oortstones in hunts, at least to me, it’s BORING as heck, you have no idea how much.
From the deepest parts of my heart, I HATE having to go on hunts to maintain my stuff, and I wish there was someone who finds that fun who would do it for me.
But I do it, and I’m throwing bombs to heal people or using a forged golden fist I made myself to help out, I’m not sitting on my hands over there. But it’s still SO all-encompassingly boring. It’s so boring that I’d rather watch the first three X-Men movies. Yes, that bad.

Building is the ONE thing that you should want to spend time on. But if you gotta stop building every so often to do your in-game chores all the time, making sure that stuff isn’t falling down, like portals, beacon fuel and all the other things I already mentioned twice in this thread, you have less fun.
The devs should spend more time on making sure that we’re spending time having FUN.

And you wanna make me believe that you find it fun to produce high-octane fertilizer, and to run around your place to water your flower every single fracking day to make sure they stay alive as long as possible?!

BOULESHEIT.
Sorry. Had to say it.
Testing 226: Ornamental Crops!
Release 227: Decorative Crops!
The advertisement 100% says otherwise.
Your argument is invalid.

↑ Now that statement, however, sounds valid. ↑

Or more simply : put fertilizer, the plant adds prestige to the beacon area for a fixed period of time, let’s say 4 weeks if you have the skills or whatever. NO FREAKING RNG. There should not be RNG in such a feature. Imagine if you put fuel and your beacon and the duration of the fuel was RNG-based. God no.

During that period, the plant will glow, and it will get slightly bigger.
Don’t use fertilizer, you get no prestige (or maybe the minimal amount like any other plant), and it won’t glow or get bigger.

1 Like

Regarding medium grade, I sprayed mine with mulch and it said “low grade”. Seems like if you combine both on one plant you might get “high grade”?

Regarding RNG @Goblinounours it seems that the devs have added RNG into quite a few systems in the game, I suppose it is most likely by choice / design. Some people including myself enjoy it, some people detest it and others are insistently ambivalent. It seems that pleasing all the people all the time is even beyond their ability unfortunately

Depends in which systems, though.
I’m never gonna say that RNG during PvE content like hunts is bad.

But RNG should stay the heck away from my garden.

2 Likes

I think they are pretty fun.

They are cheap to make, so if they die whatever. Also, if they die and I don’t replant them immediately…it doesn’t matter…since they have pretty much zero impact on any real build prestige wise.

But it is fun when you go into a little area and they are all grown and pretty :slight_smile:

They are a fun little thing to do with my extra crops.

With that said…because I think they are pretty. I am down for them lasting longer :slight_smile: hehe But I don’t think the design is all doom and gloom at all.

1 Like

Maybe because I still didn’t fully understand the view point in the bigger context or something else. In this case I was rushing to read it because I had to leave the house. It was my mistake to make a quick post with someone that I am not on best terms with. So I understand it might have annoyed you but I had truly hoped that the first part of my post - “I feel the pain… I really do.” would allow you to give me a little slack to maybe not speak perfectly. Clearly either you are too frustrated with the change or still don’t trust me enough.

You try not to because I have more than a few times in this forum for the past week explained I am trying to work with people and get on better terms. I have showed humility and said I’m sorry and a lot of other things to show that I’m not trying to be rude or difficult. How much can be said of every other member of the community? I have rarely seen people say sorry back or say “yes let’s try to fix the issues between us.”

So you say to yourself, “hey he is trying, so let me try a bit and even if he pushed a button that annoyed me, let me give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t mean to. Let me try to word my statements in a kinder and more compassionate way somewhat to see if he will still take another step forward to solve the issues between us.”

Actually you didn’t – see above. This is why the communication will be stressed and stay stressed. We have to each meet half way to create trust and clean up the communication.

Back to the post…

I assume your frustration with my comment is that you read the statement above from James. Yes people should ask @James or the Developers why they uses the word decorative and prestige in the same sentence. Are they saying that both “decoration” and “prestige” benefits are linked to death unless fertilized.

If that is true then we clearly need to tell them via a suggestion post that we want “decoration” without death and not linked to “prestige.” I completely agree based on the text James said that the design is messed up in this way. I don’t see “decoration” as enough benefit to have a death cost to it based on time.

I can understand how considering the situation my comment would seem invalid. It is in the context of where you are coming from. The only reason I mentioned it is because of how I look at the situation and how I have decided to define the Developers in this game - any time there is a benefit (especially to prestige) there will be a cost. They’ve show this trend and mindset clearly in a variety of features. So I look deeper into the statements they make and the actions they take. This means I took these 5 crops and 100% defined them by the “prestige” aspect and not “decoration.” If I was in my “builder” mindset like you are (since you create awesome builds) we likely would have said the same thing because I would have taken that sentence with “decoration” as the key word. But, I was in my developer mindset…

One more thing about me and many people I know and the generation and country I grew up in - When a person shows humility and acknowledges they did something wrong, you don’t say, “yeah you did” and slap them in the face with it. That is not a threat but I am being clear I don’t appreciate those type of statements after I make comments like that.

Why are we having this discussion which has nothing to do with the topic here or the game and not using PM?

Considering that “more extreme” versions of non-relevant posts or making fun of people are allowed to happen by many people in this forum without moderation, I figured it might be ok since I was explaining things still related to the topic in this thread.

Some of it is personal in nature but still relates directly to the discussion. Mostly it is to continue the discussion in a way that does not create conflict… Communication about the point of this topic cannot happen if each part isn’t hearing the other. This helps solve it so people can move forward in the discussion.

Plus since some other people might not understand the perspective of a person it never hurts to have a public explanation of why the person said what they did especially when they were challenged. It helps people understand and hopefully lowers conflict later on.

the plants are like that, tenporal as in real life. They are beautiful, decorate your home and give some extra prestige. When they die, you change them to another type or another color. I do not understand why people complain about this, if they were plants that need a complicated and expensive process of elaboration, or were very difficult to find (as in exos with errors) I could understand the frustration that they are temporary, but they are plants Very easy to do.
In this game there are many routines to do and very rarely you can dedicate yourself to everything, that’s why you focus on what you like most, and for the rest you have other players and the wonderful world of this trade to exchange objects with other players .

1 Like

Just want to add that I was also only expecting plants to wither if left unattended. When I first heard new plants were going to add prestige but they would die I thought it sounded like an awesome mechanic. Make sure to fertilize at least once a week or lose your bonus. But I probably won’t bother with them either if the mechanic stays the same.

they’re quite cheap to make, much less effort than fertilizer. In that regard you could replant a set each week instead of fertilizing - would end up quicker and cheaper. Why do you feel this is a worse option?

same, especially the rare color ones

3 Likes

Which ends-up being annoying because it happens on A LOT of threads I make, and it’s basically a loss of time for me to argue with you.
There’s nothing for you to understand. It’s a belief thing. I highly doubt it can change because you’re likely not playing the game for the same reasons as me.
So most of the time, when I read something you write, I kinda brace myself thinking “there a 75% chance of me disagreeing with what he wrote”.
It’s not a “trust” issue, never was. You can trust me on that. There’s only two players I highly dis-trust both in-game and on the forums. You’re none of them.

I was only referring to the titles ot the two official threads which I quoted in bold. These plants are officially called “ornamental” and “decorative”, so telling me these plant are not decorative items makes no sense.

I’m not saying everybody will agree with me. That’d be stupid of me.
But I do say with no doubt that the majority of players will agree with me on this issue.
Even if the forum’s vocal majority doesn’t, I can assure you that given time, you will see less and less of these ornamental crops in builds, because after a while, people won’t bother with yet another thing to care for.
Instead, they will come back to prestigious blocks that don’t die on you, blocks that you just have to craft, place, maybe chisel and then, DONE.
These flowers should do the same : you plant them, DONE. THEN maybe add a function like “you put fertilizer on the flowers, they give you more prestige for some time and slighly glow in the dark, neat-o!”.

It doesn’t even make sense that these die and the farming crops don’t!
At this point, I’d rely more on the farming crops for making decoration in my build.

1 Like

It’s still off topic period.

And I apologize up front because so is this. Who cares about why you are constantly misunderstood or why players seem to always be attacking you. If it happens as frequently as it does is it all the other players that are the problem? It is exhausting to constantly have to go through walls of text where you dissect every perceived slight and it has nothing to do with the game. If you need to discuss it with more than the person who you are responding to then start a new thread. Take your own advice which you threw at me the other day and keep on topic or start a new thread.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warning, you are right I do need to try harder. I guess you will be doing this with every single other person and thread now? I knew Havok was taking a break from being a moderator and I guess you took the role?

I am not sure how the below is throwing it at you. I just took it as a suggestion and gave a reason. Someone clarified why it was relevant and I let you all continue. Seems like I threw nothing but I apologize if it came off as rude.

1 Like

Yeah, well, in the meantime, I just woke up this morning to fertilize my decorative crops, until I got to the one which was expected yesterday to die in 11 days.

This means that all the ‘decorative crops’ saying “yay, 4 weeks and 5 days” can also suddenly die waaaaaay faster than expected.
What a wonderful system. I love it.

Anyway, I’m giving away 12 Deep Azure Ancestor’s Blade seeds and 15 Stale Turquoise Trailing Starblossom seeds to whoever wants them.

They’ll be up in a shop stand in the market-place of the Raxxian Sanctuary next to my atlases, for free.

Given! Case closed as far as I’m concerned.
Gonna wait until all these current ‘decorative’ crops are dead and never plant anymore of them again.

3 Likes