Design: About Oort Shards, Portals and Warps

well, ‘techincally’ he said ‘the rift’ will tear you apart, and both portals and warps are ‘rifts’ :wink:. I believe the rules are the same for both, you cannot, by any means, get to a higher-tiered world if you are not sufficiently strong.

I imagine the actual gameplay would be you cannot enter the portal, rather than entering it and then dying as that’d just be cruel.

Well. that i like unbelieveable much, but will anger a ton of the MC players.

To extend this…
So Beacons are also respawn points? If, as stated you have been in one on the current world you are exploring? Fulfilling the “Loop” of getting that beacon up ASAP.

Don’t take my word on that, that is just my personal idea :slight_smile:

It could be quite cool though to treat the beacon itself as a piece of lore where you and your companions magically (in the sense of calling things magic because we cannot comprehend how they work) respawn upon death. Though could be a way to troll people if you place the beacon block at the top of a giant tower you can’t get down from without dying hah.

Wow, calm down, Satan.

3 Likes

i like the idea of not warning people and just letting them die instantly when going through a portal. trolololol

Jejeje… just dead chamber, or even better XD you could beacon the entrance to a titan, and make the people pay your for entering XD or even throw them to the titan and see they die XD

wouldn’t it be easier for me to just ask for these shards considering they are all over the place in the world i want to go to? with alot of people interacting with each other, i dont think “zouls world shop” would get too much business when alot of groups and guilds will have their own portals, and people can trade other shards and items for the portal shards they desire

as far as i understood they are semi rare or can only be obtained by killing titans, but yeah, you have a point, but teleporters in my eyes shouldnt be something exclusive to one person. i wouldnt mind making a huge area near the capital which allows teleportation to different worlds that everybody could use. but its clearly not something you can get full power on.

1 Like

true, i think eventually later in the game when all the medium- low tier planets are fully explored and colonized the giant planets will house captials with portals to most of the worlds , i agree with you on it but i could see a situation where a certain quest gives you portals shards to a new world you could simply tell a large number of people that your your going to a new world, place the portal and venture forth.

if someones selfish then they die and that world would be lost for a while until someone else gains those shards again, and at the same time, its not bad to find a new world with some friends, explore and battle a bit, then plop a portal down a let others go into it.

So this makes me thing that oort shards would be pretty common then? Because if you need them for all travel it would be a pain in the butt if they were super rare. I also love how portals look when they’re open, but if you can only open them for 60 seconds at a time it kinda changes their value in terms of aesthetics. It also seems like location tokens w/ location warps do roughly the same thing that a permanent portal does, so why would you need to build a portal? I’m just a little confused on this.

May be that there are also permanent portals (like the links between capitals or one portal per world to another world of the same tier). Or may be they will give us a way to let a portal be “permanent” with a constant cost of shards (paid out of the guild bank for example). That would be something I would prefer :wink:

Well, oort shards are the most common oort artifact. This thread only talks about their use in portals (edit: also beacons and oort chests!). I imagine they will also be a component in a great deal of crafting recepies too. In a way, even if they are common in comparison to other things, the demand will still be very high.

Can someone confirm that Oort Shards are edible or not?

2 Likes

eats shard > dies > spawns a portal > you ARE THE PORTAL :open_mouth:

2 Likes

That would actually make a great lore for someone, they have become one with the rift. :scream:

2 Likes

one question that came to my mind: if the portal stays open a whole minute. couldn’t you just go through, check out if you like the new world and go back if not?
With this time window you could even mine some surface minerals without staying in that world.

You could yeh, though you’d be risking things of course. what if your computer crashed for instance and you got stuck accidentaly :slight_smile:

Also something to take in note, i am still highly up for idea of having rule sets for worlds where some allow PVP and others doesnt.

if that actually comes into play you would need to give the option to either pick the PVE or PVP world, for example if i suck at pvp and acidentally got stuck in a pvp world i would freak out.

1 way to encourage people being on free pvp worlds is making every skill level 20% faster or something.

1 Like

Yes pvp worlds with better loot, xp, and more minerals.

That will make that worlds as a really good place for minning, and allow miners to join with other people making the game more like a mmo right @ben? this is one of the best ways for making pvp optional but viable :smiley:
Like a 20-50% more loot, xp and minerals dependant on what % you (the makers of the game XD) prefer.