Design: About Oort Shards, Portals and Warps

Not too OP. but with the idea that you drop all of those mats on death its a nice risk vs reward.

Is it possible to build Oort Shards into weapons? Still Iā€™m thinking about a magic wand with two ends - on each end a shard can be assembled. So it would depend on the variety of shards which determine modification options.

For example one could implement:

• levitation shard
  • wind shard

An attack loop or combo could appear as:

• aim at opponent

• press button 1, which levitation is assigned to
    -> opponent lifts up into the air

• press button 2, which wind is assigned to
    -> opponent gets blown away a few yards.

Itā€™s a basic example and the system not so new anymore. Still, in combination with a two-ender staff not too bad, maybe.

I said 20 to 50 % because more could be found op, but thinking about a group of 20 miners/stakers with 10 or more warriors, they coudl take A LOT OF LOOT easy in no time if it gets higer

1 Like

So this might be an extremely stupid question, but how random would a warp be? like would it pick a random poin available in the world? what if it is over a huge cliff? what if you land underground filled with creatures without a chance to get out? would the warps just open to random worlds but predetermined areas in that world?

Good question, Iā€™d hope you would be able to see through the warp from your side and decide if you want to risk transit or spend another shard for a new warp location.

1 Like

I think it also would have a very interesting appeal if one could place a portal flat on the ground or flat into the air. Ergo, not walking straight from on world into the other, but more like looking up/down into the next world. Could be a tweak. :relieved:

1 Like

they can be placed on ground or they atleast talked about it. midair i dont think they have talked about.

something that is cool is that you keep momentum, i can remember the devs talking about how you could make human canons xD (imagine the portals and how they worked from the game ā€˜ā€˜Portalā€™ā€™

1 Like

Mh, never played Portal - but I know its system. I think the idea of hopping through a portal which lies flat on the ground and then falling into the next world is pretty neat. Reminds me of Zelda Skyward Sword. In a way - jump into portal and fly down to the next world with a parchute. This could involve midair portals as well and at the same time it is a world balancing element. You would first need a parachute or something like this in order to make it safe to the bottom of the next world. :)))

Iā€™m somewhat concerned because the below quote about warpsā€¦[quote=ā€œben, post:1, topic:422ā€]
Warps are a temporary rift, open for 60 second only, between where you are and eitherā€¦

ā€¦a completely random world (within the same band of worlds, eg: tier 1)ā€¦a specified location (using a location token)ā€¦a specified online player (using a player token)You can only travel to the maximum world tier youā€™ve unlocked (see about tiers here if you donā€™t know about them) or the rift will tear you apart as youā€™re not strong enough.
[/quote]

seems to be at odds with the current placeholder text on the website describing warps:

"Warps are short distance portals that transport players between two locations on the same world. Search for Warp Stone and place it to create an entrance, then do the same to create an exit.

Warps can be used to create helpful shortcuts to locations like underground mines or a nearby friendā€™s home. You can even use them as people cannons!"

I was just wondering if the location specifier mentioned is what will allow for transport to any given spot on the same world? Will this also allow for going to any given spot on other worlds? Is there a range or tier restriction? Just some questions Iā€™ve been pondering about for a bit!

i would assume that are just portals, in short

Build a portal frame, take the token, put it into another portal frame. pay a certain amount of shards and you can go through. these stay there and you just need to plug in oort everytime, bascially what you described

warps are more like ā€˜ā€˜Heeeyā€¦ throw this portal and you can either go a random place or to a token are you have madeā€™ā€™ as far as i can see these doesnt require an opposite portal.

I just got an gameplay Idea! Portals can technically be placed by anyone right? Maybe you could be able to assign a Portal you made to your current Guild and everyone who uses it can pay a small fee?

Like: If you want to use this portal youā€™ll need x Oort Shards + lets say 2 Gold or if weā€™ll have copper like money to then 50 Copper (Or whatever is equivalent to that).

Also the Guilds should have an function to assign the price for every Portal at once, like an menu where you can set the price by yourself. And make it really cheap so noone minds or overprice it but the people have to use it because the terrain is too dangerous and youre the only guild haing portals around. ^^

Whatā€™ya thinking about that @ben, @james? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Its a genius idea, allow players to put a currency payment on the machine so people pay for using the portal and then allow the owner to collect the money, the problem would just be how does one define the owner? would it be a beacon thing or? i think it would be awesome as long as its not just guilds who use it, it would be a very great way for players to make a living if that is what they want to do.

also @james are you guys still up for the ā€˜ā€˜paying to enter beaconā€™ā€™ idea you wrote on the website? that would go well with this.

1 Like

Yep, travel and access will be a big part of the economy.

4 Likes

The Thing about Guild owning it is that the Money would go directly into the guild bank instead to the Person who made it so the Money would be for everyone inside the guild and not just for the guy who created that Portal. Itā€™s like a service. Maybe I didnā€™t describe that perfectly but I know youre smart and understand that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No not at all, i understood that, but i think it would be a bit sad if only guilds could do taxes of portal services, for example if one person decided he would specialize in portals.

maybe we can use the token system? there would be an owner token slot or money token slot or whatever, and you could put in who should have the money, use a personal token and they get the money, use the guild token and they get the money.

this would just pose the question

how would the money get transffered, mail? have to collect them yourself?

also it would be tied into a ā€˜ā€˜guild bank systemā€™ā€™ which assumes that a guild can have a shared currency vaulted and hidden somewhere, which we are not sure will be a thing yet, but if it is then i personally would love to see the system ingame :smile:

2 Likes

@ben once a portal have been bound can they be unbound? also are they bound by putting the other portals token into it, if that is the case would you technically be able to just have 1 frame and a ton of other portal tokens and it would work?

An Guild Bank System is a must have if you do a Guild System. But how and what is the question. Maybe the Devā€™s will think about making an small completely protected World in wich you can do all the stuff you need for your guild like, getting acces for your guildbank (as leader or someeone who has the rights) Getting upgrades for your guild. Getting new Recuits for your guild or searching for one. Maybe a Town on a private World protected by the devs, or whatever.

Orā€¦ that could all be done in the actual gameworld, i have seen guildworlds in trove, im personally not a fan, i think it should be something you can craft, like a guild vault, guildbox for upgrades or make it part of an ingame ui. but thats a matter of preference.

i look forward to seeing huge guild towns or guild halls split over the world, would be a bit sad that everything related to a guild would be in a closed room.

3 Likes

Jepp, I think everything hanlded for guilds has to be in the ā€œnormalā€ worlds. Also, I donā€™t think we need an excluded guild bank system. Why not just build chests with a guild-token so that only guild members can use them ā€¦ or even do something with ā€œrankā€-tokens, so that you can handle who only can put something in and who has the rights to take something out. ā€¦ A portal or beacon with a toll could then just be linked to a near chest and one of the guild members then goes there after a while to collect the income. I really donā€™t feel a need for a ā€œglobalā€ and excluded vault for guild stuff ā€¦ that would only break the immersion.

And for the tolls, that should also be possible for single persons ā€¦ to support guilds is good, but noone has to be forced to play in guilds or create one :wink:

yessssssssssss. I need dat.