Design: About the Oort Online gameplay loop

This might just be the crazy recluse mad scientist in me, but I would love to make climate controlled areas to grow exotic plants :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh the joy of man-eating plants.

4 Likes

I like the idea you guys have, I mean it it was this idea that brought me here in the first place. The idea that you’d go on an epic journey with your friends to find the Titan and fight monsters and harsh weather environments along the way. I love that adventurous feeling and would like to see you guys stick with it, that would be sweet.

1 Like

I would think that rare materials would exist per tier that are otherwise unobtainable from other worlds, thus giving reason to backtracking.

2 Likes

That would make sense, the mats shouldnt be as powerful as the higher tier worlds though, since that would kinda ruin the point of it xD

i think this game need PvP and Guild war. i know its kinda stupid for game like minecraft/oort but i think it will give more fun. i smirk a little just by imagine it

Guild wars like the gvg mode in guild wars 1 are really cool. Don’t know if there may be a system of ranking for it, but I would love to see guild made arenas for inviting other guilds for a good old team battle :wink:

A gameplay loop that would avoid having to respawn titans…

Tier 1: small private (or few players) instance; training, ideas around building, game principles and so on. Player graduates by building or finding portal to tier 2. No option to return to this beginner area.

Tier 2: permanent rim world; permanent areas, structures, cities, guilds, etc. Player graduates by planting beacon and building a permanent structure.

Tier 3+: worlds contain Titans (1 or many), resources depending on the world, biomes contained. Once Titans are vanquished the world starts to decay, and eventually is destroyed. Players encouraged to set up bases on inner worlds to launch adventures into more dangerous territory, with the knowledge that this area will not be permanent.

If the idea of decaying worlds is too much for builders, perhaps beacons set in decaying worlds could preserve the land, and have it transported and bound to the edge of the rim (tier 2) once the world has ceased. Add beacon doors to allow players to fast transit between multiple beacons they own within the rim.

Has the added advantage of being able to rework the procedural generation of worlds, as upper tiers would not be permanent in nature. Plus you could try out changes to world conditions, rules for game play and the like without causing too much disruption and imbalance because there would be no expectation for permanency.

Just a thought.

1 Like

more like all tiers you start on it, with other players, you need to make a house to save stuff. get the best tier gear and then go kill a titan and then go up.

ps there is no decaying worlds, there is regenerating worlds, things not in beacons will regenerateby itself and all of the 1 block towers would disappear.

I guess what I don’t understand is how Titans respawn – are we all just waiting around to kill the Titan on “abc” world when he pops? Especially lower level tiers.

And if they don’t respawn, do we really have to travel through x number of “dead worlds” with no Titans before i finally get to a world that still has a Titan in residence?

Just seems like you add thousands of players, 12 months, and you have a pretty boring landscape.

If i join the game in a years time do i have to wander endlessly through worlds that have already been populated, Titan’s conquered, and everything discovered? What is the point of having algorithms for beautiful, procedurally generated worlds if everyone is wandering through the same space?

And if you keep creating more and more permanent worlds, eventually you will reach a critical scale where most places are never seen, but constantly maintained.

Creating worlds that only last for a short time, ie until Titans are vanquished seems like fun :wink:

1 Like

its not going to be 1 titan, its going to be 1 type of titans, so there will be an area when they wander around. and they will respawn somehow.

Well that is a shame. Wading around in the sloppy seconds of other players, only to queue and compete for spawning titans doesn’t sound like much fun.

Perhaps i’ll stick to building :wink:

i dont think you should expect it being that much of a problem, although it is a valid concern.

A sandbox MMO with limited resources (eg Titans, even if they are re-spawning), and a linear progression (eg. fixed paths between tiered worlds) is a recipe for boredom. These guys are building a game for fun, right?

You allude to the problem in your very first response.

Anyhow, i thought this was a thread for discussing game play loop ideas. So I’m throwing out ideas :wink:

1 Like

I think the point is that the amount of Titans are supposed to be somewhat limited if you could get access to one all the time the resources they provide would loose value.

is it really so boring to have progression? i think your idea of ‘‘place a beacon and you can go a tier up’’ sounds reallllyyyy boring. but thats a matter of opinion. you seem to want each ‘‘tier’’ to have completely different rulesets and allow the first to be tutorial worlds + forcing them to make it instanced.

1 Like

Character progression? No, of course not. A sense of achievement is one of the key drivers for any game.

I’m referring to a “linear progression” through permanent worlds to move deeper into the game. And these points of progression being bottlenecked by the need to kill/harvest specific resources.

The only place i refer to placing a beacon to “tier up” is in a “new player” area. If new players are bored placing a beacon for the first time I’d be very surprised.

I said that different rule-sets would be possible. Not that every world needs a different rule-set.

I’m suggesting that worlds with Titans could be semi-permanent but ultimately disposable – this has nothing to do with creating instanced encounters.

Part of the joy of playing in procedurally generated worlds is that you’re seeing something that few (if any) people have seen. I’m just trying to think of how that might translate to an MMO. Restricting users to a set of predefined worlds loses that sense of adventure, and runs the risk of reducing emergent game play.

Like I said, just throwing out ideas.

3 Likes

you do realise that these worlds are not procedually generated but rather created using a world editor tool, right? also atm on the worlds they currently have, there is around 603 billion square meters of blocks.

Worlds are very muchly procedurally generated. The existing worlds are limited for testing purposes. They are capable of being infinite, though they will likely wrap the edges of the world together at a later date. The world editor tool merely defines what values the procedural generation uses, it’s not a directly painted on world like what you might see in WoW or Starcraft.

3 Likes

It’s also possible for the world to change over time, flooding, rivers, rain, volcanoes, trees and plants that randomly grow… they may alter the landscape and the server will try to stay within the rules of the world.