Dueling/Arenas

Yeah I know, but let’s be realistic. What are the chances that they implement some decent PvP retrospectively after 1,0?
By then the game will be balanced around a PvP-less environment, so what we’ll get will probably be some paltry and irrelevant PvP, at most.

I also think that at least the PVP-Beacons schould be ingame … just for fun. I remember having a LOT of good times in those pvp arena beacon a long while ago in deep alpha and it would be a real waste if this (at least this) is not part of 1.0 …

PLEEEEEAAAAASE … let us build cool arenas and have fun … just switch on player damage in there, stop item dereg, let us be respawned in there and let us leave with the security port for zero costs out of it (so it will be save to go there with no negative effect) … Simple to add, big in fun, GOOD FEATURE to use in Ads! :wink:

3 Likes

Hmm really? If there is already code for it in game, why not?

1 Like

Someone could beacon an area as a pvp zone and another player has no idea, then boom. They are dead.

It opens up a lot of negative elements for people who do not like Pvp. Now PVP is very popular, especially for younger players but the majority tend to prefer a PvE environment.

As a personal thought on this subject. I would rather have a fully thought out and designed Pvp system which was fair and clear as opposed to just flipping a switch on a beacon to say if it is on or off.

A poorly made Pvp system will drive people away. We’ve all seen it happen before.

7 Likes

Yeah, think that makes sense. Well, it is good to know that it might be a possibility someday.

2 Likes

Give pvp beacons a faint red glow so that you see them deforestation entering. Could be visible only from 25 blocks away to not destroy the nice view over some spots…

And I’m 34 als love some pvp now and then… And most RPG players I know playing more pvp are mostly my age ore older… Kids have no “you know what I mean” these days :stuck_out_tongue:

Having no pvp would be a big waste, even in 1.0. I would feel greatly discouraged because I don’t see good arguments against some pvp in the game.

2 Likes

This is an issue concerning almost all open-world games with PvP. Luckily there is already a prevalent solution to prevent “accidental PvP participation” :wink:

Totally agree with you. I don’t see myself enjoying this game for too long if there isn’t any PvP, even if the rest is going to be amazing.

3 Likes

That isn’t the best example to solve this situation. What happens if you log in and someone has changed the area around you to PvP? As well as many more scenarios.

Honestly, if PvP finds it way into the schedule it will be done in a much better and fair way. PvP is something I am a huge fan of too, but there are so many features we want to get to first. Once they are all in place we can reassess what the next important things are. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t “logging-in in an location that got beaconed since your last visit” something that has to be addressed anyway?
I mean I could beacon that area and completely fill it with stone, or I could place a lava sea, or just dig a deep hole so the player falls to his death when he logs in again…

Generally I just think that PvP is a necessity for a game in this genre. One just has to look at Rust and its servers that are bursting with players, although there is just as much content as in Boundless, but with a lot more bugs, and compare it to the player numbers of Boundless…

2 Likes

One would think those numbers are more down to a number of other factors like: the huge publicity it had and the support from Steam, the realistic art style, the marketing it had and the fact it is made by the team behind Garry’s Mod helps too. :slight_smile:

If more people were vocal about this too then it would be a higher priority for us. But it looks like people are more excited to get a better combat system, character progression, new creatures, titans and temples to play.

4 Likes

I’m not a big fan of pvp but I would really enjoy if there was a duel system like in borderlands. No unwanted pvp while players are still able to have pvp fights in arenas without having multiple beacon types

1 Like

That sure got them the sale numbers but i think what keeps their players at bay is definitely the PvP: And that’s what i meant to say: PvP is a relative easy way to ensure long-time motivation, as opposed to PvE content.

Sure, as these are the core mechanics of Boundless, and I’m definitely not saying that you should drop everything you work on right now and focus on PvP, but I think that releasing without decent PvP would drive away at least as many players as a poorly made one would do, if not more.
And there is definitely a quite sizable and vocal crowd that supports the idea of PvP. I’ve been following these forums for almost two years now and the thing almost every new player asks about first is “how’s the PvP going to look?”

Here’s just a short list of such threads:

Summary

And there have also been countless suggestions from our “veterans”

Summary

PvP option for Beacons

World GvG concept, Siege alternative. Community Warfare (Updated)

PvP/GvG minigame zones idea

Guild v Guild combat, Sieges, World, Influence, Arena, Rewards

[After 1.0] Eternal Memories: War of the Oortians

To just name a few prominent ones.

Not even counting the plethora of discussions regarding PvP.
So PvP is definitely everything but unheeded.

2 Likes

I have to disagree. The topic “PvP” has been addressed several times and there has always been an audience. Not the “majority” but also not too small. Till now the devs answer was always something like “not in 1.0” and therefore i gave up on this topic.

I’m a big fan of PvP too and I’d like to see it at 1.0. It could be possible to allow only devs (or the world builder) to place PvP regions. So there is no problem with players who set up a PvP region. It could be also possible to allow the “champs” (maybe 1-5 players) to get villager rights and are able to build in the PvP beacon to create obstacles and a nice arena.

@Vastar: Thanks for the summary :slight_smile:

1 Like

Look though, my whole point for bringing this up is if this game is going to sell people on the idea that they can be solely a warrior, solely a crafter, solely a gatherer, etc., then I think it really needs to establish being a warrior with more of a robust system. If warriors are expected to grappling hook up to a Titan and fight epic battles, doesn’t it make sense for these warriors to be able to practice on each other?

As it stands now, even if pvp were such a thing, what would it entail? Just running around and swiping your hammer/axe at someone else or shooting your bow at them, similar to the combat I’m seeing with monsters (which needs work). From where I see it, the gathering/building aspect of this game is great (granted I’ve never played Minecraft, I have nothing to compare it to), but the combat/warrior aspect of this game should be the next be task to accomplish imho. Well…that and character creation (but I don’t think it really needs to be insanely customizable in this game).

1 Like

I’d have to disagree with the insanely customizable part. Here’s my take:

We have a lot of things as a community that we can work on in 1.0 right now. We want to be able to PvP eventually, but we also want this permanence to this world. So, I think that if the Devs implement a fun, more functional PvE to begin with, and then released a fully functional PvP later, it will tie into the world’s history. We came, we mined, we built. Then strife. As land was taken up via beacon placement, etc. contention over resource sharing arose. Then we get the ability to fight.

As far as the customization, I think that it’s important in a game like this where the worlds are player built, and eventually reflect player’s work to have vastly different individuals who are identifiable by their appearance.

Yes, I’m in favor of a functional and fun PvE first as well. All I’m saying that in this game, there doesn’t necessarily have to be a ton of options and sliders to make a unique character. Give a bunch of color options, different eyes, different head-horn things, maybe some sliders for body size, height, whatever, should be good to go.

3 Likes

In my opinion, no … not really … there will be plenty of variation in creatures for you to get to grips with and practice on before you even get to battle a titan and protectors.

I guess that’s why they’re currently working on all the creatures as the next set of updates… not to mention the current daily reveal on character progression, which I am guessing will also affect warriors in some manner as well.

I’ve never really been a fan of PVP, and to be honest, I don’t think liking it (or even disliking it) is something that you can attribute to a persons age (I’m 40+ and know people from all age ranges that either like or dislike PvP in equal measure).

However, that said, I would be perfectly happy with arena / dueling as a simple implementation of PvP as long as PvE players are not forced into it. By that I mean, they’re not locked out of content areas with resources that only a PvP player would be happy to go after, and not forced into a situation where they need to defend themselves against other players just because they unwittingly strayed into a area marked for PvP without realising.

Personally, and this is swayed by my own non-PvP preferences, I don’t think PvP needs to be in 1.0. Although, to satisfy the players that do prefer PvP over pure PvE, I think it should definitely be a consideration for immediately after 1.0 release (and dare I say it … before things like farming are introduced :persevere:).

4 Likes

I’m in favour of getting the overall game and features finished first, however I’m definitely showing my support for PVP related features should that be a possibility.

1 Like

Totally agree with the two above me. Let’s focus first on the strong points of Boundless. It’s mostly an exploration and building community stuff game (at least as of now). I believe combat mechanics planned by the Devs aren’t even competitive enough for us to experience the “intense” feeling of dueling…which I’ve already accepted even if I’m disappointed by that (you just can’t have everything it seems)

With that said, we can probably start to focus more on PVP once combat is at least decent enough for a good PVP fight.

Some thoughts in making PVPs more fun even if combat is not that good:
In an arena for example, give the duelist enough time to build anything (obstacle, towers, tunnels) before the battle begins :grin:

2 Likes

I was thinking about this and I thought another option would be PvP world’s, where players would only be focused on building arenas.

So the same PvP beacon functionality that existed before but restricted to specific world’s. That way people aren’t going to get griefed except by some elaborate trap a player has designed, which would be quite fun in my opinion!

Players can warp in and out at when they please, but would rarely consider building their home there.

On the other hand a guild could decide to go PvP and set up a PvP base.

Then just turn off all common resources and boost rare resources on the world, gives players an incentive to risk going there whilst needing some sort of a pve base as well.

I think PvP should also expose at least some of your inventory on death. Maybe the first in a stack or just resources or just tools etc.

But all that said, if you’re considering PvP you need to consider it for 1.0, plan it out. It’ll have ramifications across the board and so far mechanics balancing doesnt appear to have much foresight :blush: