Design software/programs?

Hello,

I am curious if people are using tools like CAD or something similar to design your buildings on a computer before building them in game? I know Minecraft has several tools like this that allow 3D design in blocks made by the community so maybe we have something similar? I see people making these giant murals out of gleam of old 8 bit characters from other games, surely you’re using something… If there is a good tool someone can recommend I would love to check it out. I am getting tired of my boring cube builds.

3 Likes

http://www.voxelmade.com/magicavoxel/

This is what I’ve always used. There is a unique joy that comes with laboriously recreating your draft in game by climbing all around it and counting out your block placements. It’s a kind of fun that I’ve never known in a game. It’s why I’m so addicted.

5 Likes

Wow this looks great! I am downloading it now, thanks for the link :slight_smile:

1 Like

+1 for Magicavoxel. Great free tool.

1 Like

Did you find the UI scaling on this? it’s tiny in 4k lol

I’ve used Magicavoxel. I also design things on Grid paper, because you know I’m bored at work and I have grid paper but not access to a way to design in magicavoxel. I actually enjoy it on paper because I can do things like plan chisels, and I apply more problem solving to designs of mine so I can skip some of the frustration while I’m building in game.

3 Likes

I also use MagicaVoxel. It does have some size limitations but you can merge individual pieces to create something larger. Like this

or this

10 Likes

I’ve used SketchUp to model a curvy object then voxelize the obj file with drububus web based voxelizer

1 Like

Is that freeware? Do you have a website?

Particubes app on iphone. Nowhere near as good as magicavoxel but best i could find for mobile. Useful to design very basic ideas in

I like qubicle:

How does that compare to magica? Does it have size constraints like magica?

I’m sure someone upload the palette for MagicaVoxel some time…has a search

Found some info and help with MagicaVoxel here

Both are free, drububu’s can import a lot of file types, just Google a drububu’s voxelizer. I use SketchUp to track the build layer by layer

I have a lot of voxelized stuff I haven’t built yet, I think I have Bart Simpson in there somewhere too

3 Likes

Ha! It takes stls! No more magicavoxel for me!

Best part is SketchUp has a public library of 3d models (Google ‘3D warehouse’) people have created. You can search in there and if the model already exists then I can have it downloaded, scaled, and voxelized in like 5 minutes

I’ve been playing with magic voxel for at least 20 minutes now and I still don’t have any ideas xD This is a good program if you guys haven’t tried it.