Developer building contest

Nah that’d just be more work. Third bit is just to make sure there is some use of the crafting interface, to get a feel for what works or possible improvements. The idea is to experience all the current mechanics more than build something, just in a fun way.

I don’t understand. Pretty sure the devs already know what works with the crafting interface. I guess I originally thought this would be for new players’ benefits since you mentioned entertainment value but you want the devs to build so they can learn to play their own game and think of improvements for it? I feel like that’s kind of what they do already (or at least their 1 QAer).

Would the developers make their own builds as well? Would this have to be made on a new world in a designated area with space requirements, or players can just build it wherever?

This would be an awesome way to give us a teaser of all the new things that are currently only available on the dev build.

Perhaps, but I think many players would rather have development time put into getting those new things out to the general players faster.

1 Like

Omg if the devs actully wanted it that would be so cool and the players should alls then be able to choose a theme for every devolepers no one have the same theme

If they all have a different theme, what would a contest be judged by? It would be apples to oranges…

the building that fits the theme the most it would be easier to judge yhen if all had the same theme and like 3 fits the theme kinda it would be much harder. Or that kinda sounds stupid but eh just ideas

I don´t see a problem with a themeless building cotest. (If I´d let you choose between an apple and an orange you´d still be able to pick your favorite :wink:)

@Clexarews : This should, of course, be made in the devs spare time. (What a cruel community that forces the devs to play their own game :smile:)
I think no one expects some giant builds like project spire anyway. A format like in the video I linked would be perfectly fine imo.

2 Likes

Something akin to what @karko did with his housing contest, or @ben set up for beacons seems like a good approach. Enforcing small builds, and setting a theme are a good way of focusing the build, and giving folk initial inspiration

1 Like

And any YouTube activity from the devs is great (and free) advertisement for the game.

2 Likes

Spare time?

[quote=“james, post:74, topic:3661, full:true”]
I just wish there was 25, 26, 27, screw it 36 hours in the day[/quote]

Lol.

Edit: in all seriousness though I’ll just point out the survey results from survey #3 in which 26% thought more time from devs should be spent reporting progress, sharing images, and making update videos while 74% thought more time should be spent on game development. I’m guessing this falls more or less into that 26% category.

Not saying it’s not a fun idea or that it wouldn’t be fun to see. But as we’ve already mentioned, if doing it now we’d have to find devs on the already super small team who want to spend their free time working with this game even more. And we have to find enough of them to even make this a true contest. I just realistically don’t see that happening right now, that’s all.

If dev spare time is going to be put into releasing information about this game, I’d rather see a real progress update video or more posts like those put forth by the tireless @james than a fun competition. Just my two cents.

1 Like

I feel I should point out I fall into that 74%. All I was proposing was a quick “whats the best thing you can build in a hour” type thing to get a feel for the current mechanics and brainstorm. Thats where the entertainment comes in - at least one would end up just being a pile of blocks :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I feel like inventory management and the crafting is a bit clunky, and there have been at least a few things that seem to go unnoticed (weird blending, block placement, slabs doing strange things). I don’t see it as hindering development, having the people that are creating the game experience its current state just makes sense to me - but maybe just me.

And I’m in the 26% ;)[quote=“Apocalyptica, post:16, topic:3926”]
I don’t see it as hindering development, having the people that are creating the game experience its current state just makes sense to me - but maybe just me.
[/quote]

That’s what their QAer is doing. Source: I work as a QAer.

Just because we haven’t seen fixes to some of the pre-alpha systems quite yet doesn’t mean there aren’t fixes being worked on or that there won’t be fixes by the time 1.0 hits. If you still have concerns after that, then submit a suggestion or support thread I guess.

Yeah I’d love to do this at some point (we have some fun ideas about how we could be more involved within the universe, too).

7 Likes

Events! do events! When the game comes further out it would be beast having one of the devs get a ton of powers and then have the server try to beat him xD

1 Like

A titan controlled by one or more devs. That would be a great challenge^^

Man, I really miss the events from the original Asheron’s Call. Devs would romp around the world as one of the game’s big bosses (sometimes with players, sometimes against), or spawn waves of enemies against a town for players to defend, etc. Each month they had (have?) a large scheduled event for people to participate in

AC = Assassins Creed?

Sorry, Asheron’s Call

1 Like