DEVS a Question about rental planets

Even sexier would be the ability to reconfigure them at will.

I feel that if the world owner wanted to go from a prefab to customized either;

1. Player owned blocks get reclaimed(oh no not my hard work)
  2. The world around your plots will change(wonky/ mismatch landscape that may possibly look horrible)

Losing absolutely everything seems a bit extreme to me. I also think you should be able to have a free re-roll in case you don’t like the landscape.

That’s the wrong way round for me. I’d love to rent a planet but want the customisation else I’m not very interested. I can see why you’d want to know if the worlds are worth further resource investment but if it’s too limited then you lose some market and may not get good data about how popular it might be. Maybe send a survey to existing account holders too or something?

1 Like

Maybe it’s a good idea for them to go ahead and add the private planet update - then make needed changes in the future. Some people will rent planets when they 1st come out. Some people may hold off for a bit.

We shouldn’t hold back huge updates just because they might refine or add to it later :woman_shrugging: Game content can always be changed or refined and progress should not stop/wait because of this (imo).

5 Likes

I’m of the opposite opinion on this one I’m afraid. Rental planets are a big thing and in my opinion something that won’t stand up very well to iterative design. I know I wouldn’t be too pleased with paying for an “ok-ish” (i.e. not my ideal) premade world, only to have fully customisable ones become available after I already started rebuilding.

I think it’s something they should try and get right first time around, giving everyone a chance to get their ideal paid planet with all the customisation possibilities from the outset.

10 Likes

:+1: I hear you, but I would hate for the rental planets to be delayed beyond this year because they were trying to add other things or going back to the drawing board. Even if they got it “just right”, I’m sure there will be changes and updates to them in the future.

Edit to add: I 100% agree that they shouldn’t put out something that’s half-done. It seems like they’ve been gathering data from testing & working on this for quite some time.

December '19 https://forum.playboundless.com/t/testing-238-prototype-creative-mode-and-modding/39256

3 Likes

I’ve been messing with worldbuilder since it became available. Been fine tuning what I would consider a world that has an environment that suits my greatest building ambitions. The news of prefabs has pretty much killed the game for me after all these years. It’s quiet sad.
Hope they have some pretty extraordinary prefabs available.

Indeed, I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to buy a world with one of the pre-made designs then have the tools come later on to customize it to your heart’s content after you’ve already built up on it.

5 Likes

It kinda reminds me of the feeling I had when Creative Mode went into testing… Was sooo pumped to check out the sample planets, and then I saw them for the first time and their color palettes hit me and I was like, “… Oh. I would never build on this planet.”

The new system may prove to be unpopular precisely BECAUSE it doesn’t allow customization. I understand your logic of having some premade planets, because some renters simply won’t want to be bothered with the world builder - but for some of us, that may be exactly the thing that we’ve been looking for.

Do you have a ballpark estimate of how many worlds the “limited set” will include? The level of variety here might make or break your initial rollout of the system. If you’ve got enough of a mix of generic and unique design types, then even people who thought they wanted to use the world builder might just settle and never look back… but if not, then the whole thing could be dead on arrival.

I may have missed it if it was already mentioned, but I think that allowing for full control of the color palette on the premade worlds would probably go a long way toward making them more acceptable.

3 Likes

Would we at some point get some examples of prefabs before they come out. Examples of what kind of biomes each would have? And a number of choices?

Personally, I’d love a hilly desert planet, similar to Arrakis from Frank Herbert’s “Dune”. Or an ocean world with small and medium sized islands.

2 Likes

I’m hoping for some flat-ish green fields with rolling hills and nice large trees. Also would like some blue water/lakes/rivers. :crossed_fingers:

(Kinda the opposite of the worlds I like to explore hehe)

3 Likes

i want an icy world with “temperate bands” along with ice cliffs and flat ice/temperate plains

2 Likes

I just wanted to have Solum as my rental planet…just add #255 gleam to it.

2 Likes

LOL i see what you’re doing!

#255 = black

Actually it is Luminous Yellow. Black is #1

1 Like

oops :sweat:

1 Like

That’s ok. I would take that gleam also.

I think there seems to be a bit of confusion here about “prefabs” (not even sure where that came from, as “prefabs” in the worldbuilder sense are things like trees).

Right now we have a set of world configs, this describes what most of you will recognise as the atmosphere and level of a planet (Fierce ect). Within these configs we have weighting towards different biomes (the higher level the world the more extreme the biomes tend to be), lighting, and the colour pallet. These still carry a massive degree of randomness within them. Each time you build a world with a new seed the variation is staggering. The odds of two rental worlds being even close to the same are teeny tiny atoms in the universe odds.
We are looking into how we can give players some control in picking their worlds, but i would rest assured there isnt going to be 1000 “Lushtopia Prime” clones floating around

15 Likes

I don’t have anything to say about rental world’s but just wanted to THANK YOU for this information. This is the type of transparency the community has been looking for.

1 Like

@rossstephens how much freedom are we going to have with the color palette?

1 Like