DKPoll: notifications when people open portals; More shard slots; portals needing fuel notifs; larger same planet portals. Now with (new) pie charts!

It has to load more of the world it leads to with the bigger portal. So more strain and more data

Honestly I wish the size didn’t matter for where we were going and just went off blinksec. So I could have a 2x1 from Gyosha to Sorissi but still cost the same as the size currently needed

1 Like

Are you sure?

They definitely said connections to different planets has a higher cost.

I’m 99% sure though that this doesn’t apply to portals on the same planet based on number of conduits.

More conduits definitely causes (insignificantly more) strain on the client. But it shouldn’t affect the server.

This part at least is def wrong (sry). It loads the same amount of the world. You can tell by looking through the portals at different angles.

@lucadeltodecso

2 Likes

I agree about the sizes I wish that as well, and portal wands would really be useful if you were running from enemies and needed to run and run straight into a portal all in a matter of seconds.

Still displaying more at one time. And yes I’m sure that it uses more. 90% sure it was @james that said it. But it might have been @lucadeltodecso. I guess I’ll search for it. Was posted the last time this topic came up

They didn’t do that because they want it to be like WoW etc.

But imo boundless is not supposed to be a “hardcore” mmo and this should be allowed

Well guess I was semi wrong. The small ones actually are worse.

I know there was more said by the devs but there’s so many topic about portals I’m tired of looking :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I understand why it’s like that but it’s hard to explain, it all makes sense now

It’s probably why they also changed how the small portals load. Gotta be closer to them after a certain update as to not needlessly load them.

2 Likes

I’ve heard more people saying that but I’m still not quite understanding it from a technical standpoint. I mean they need to read the data from the planet on the other side to show you what’s there. We can move about in front of portal and see a large area, when a portal is bigger it shouldn’t need to download more data…

Of course I might be wrong, just never got the reasoning…

1 Like

Read my 2nd to last comment. The small ones actually cost more. Straight from a dev quote

Ehmm, where does it say smaller portals are worse?

In what you quoted it says “it is much better for our servers if there is a single portal making a big jump than lots of smaller ones”, where ones = jumps

Right here

Also

1 Like

Maybe that just means ALOT of small ones close together rather than just one small one? I dunno.

His last comment about making it better fuel wise for bigger portals would suggest otherwise

That’s distance

But from what Luca has told me, portals between same-region same server are cheapest for WS, portals between same region diff server (say Raxxa to Tana) are a tiny bit more expensive and portals between regions are the most expensive.

I really don’t think number of conduits matters in any way except client side

I presume Aenea is saying the same thing right now

1 Like

Yes, that’s the exact same bit I quoted!

But ‘smaller ones’ refers to ‘smaller jumps’

What is costly is the amount of portals, not the size. Five smaller jumps means 5 planets that need to be loaded for the player, one big jump means only 1 needs to be loaded.

But the comment about changing the fuel he made seems to suggest against what you’re saying. But hey what do I know. I can only comment on how I view what he said since it doesn’t come straight out and say.

I’m also pretty sure janes said something about portal and data before too. But too lazy to dig thru everything. And I also could be wrong so there’s that too lol

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, because 5 shorter jumps and thus smaller portals costs them more than 1 big portal.

If they then change it in game that all small portals cost more than it encourages us to use more larger portals because it IS cheaper for them to have LESS JUMPS and thus LESS PORTALS…

It’s all about the number of portals, the more portals going to different planets/areas means they need to download more data from the servers than if we would use 1 portal (which in game means bigger) straight to the destination…

I get it, but how I read it it’s about the number of portals between point A and B. If there’s one portal going straight to B they only need to load data for B. That it means that it’s farther away and thus needs a bigger portal is not really relevant.

I miss EA 2x3 cheap portals.

1 Like