Dye system idea for Oort

… And I miss “mesmerizing” all around me :wink:
I had tons of armors and about 8 prestige ones, all colored in special styles ^^

But on the dyes? I love to keep the color fixed by material used… But at least on items we have on our body or in our hand could enjoy even more variety while crafting, yes… The idea with the mixer is cool, but I think using it on blocks or probs could be complicated with the data structure of the worlds on the servers (mass of data due to needed extra values) … But on items it should be possible :wink:

1 Like

I’m against the idea of using it on blocks personally, but I think it’d be cool to use dyes for wearables.

4 Likes

Fair enough, what about the current “dye” behaviour where the recipe will take the colour of the first item in the slot. Is this a bug or a feature?
Would you prefer different block tints weren’t compatible in recipes so that this no longer works?
I’ve been enjoying this behaviour so far

I didn’t think we were having wearables anymore, but if we are then I’d definitely like a dye system for them!

A post production dyeing is not in the mood of the game (and because items break over time also not needed necessarily) but to be altered while building is OK … As long as the mats still play mayor role in color (never forget the roles of explorers and traders and steal their jobs)

1 Like

Fair enough, well maybe for fairness it should be altered so that the majority tint becomes the crafted tint.

As right now for example you can stick 1 blue gleam in slot one, 35 white gleam in slot two and produce 50 blue refined gleam.

1 Like

Japp, it should use the color which is consumed as ingredients… That with the blue and white gleam sounds like a bug.

Admittedly I’ve been taking advantage of this, but it’s definitely a bug and shouldn’t be allowed really.

1 Like

Fair enough, I’ve been using it too and i do like it personally, i just thought it could be improved upon and used as a feature rather than fixed as a bug…

Maybe a fairer alternative when you combine multiple tints in the same recipe is you get a colour picker of the inputted tints available? That way it would also be intuitive for people that didn’t know it was possible.

Yeah, I’ve also been taking advantage of this bug, place 1 blue gleam and 49 white gleam in and get 50 blue refined gleam out, or 50 blue lanterns out. Trouble is I am not sure how if would effect things like making a block of stone if you had 30 from Therka and 20 from Nasharil, or a mass crafting storage units if they took out. I guess it’s only a problem with rare blocks.

On the topic of dyes I’d adore some sort of dye system for clothing/character customisation in the future. Also I’d love to see dye being made from recipes and used in more crafting, imagine different coloured materials used in furniture or carpets, or wall hangings.

(I won’t lie I was putting the red leaves in different machines with the white stones and trying to work out how to dye the block red when I first started :))

However I think it should be way down the line, I’d rather see the more complicated core mechanics in the game and tested out first before the fluff.

2 Likes

Your approach towards dying materials the way you did is quite good : ) It is the intuitive way and somehow overlookable.
The thing is, as far as I know - you can or could dye material in the world builder too. Maybe this is for a general colour shape-up and your idea could be used to dye goods, not ressources, if I did get it right.

Also have been wondering about the Gleam light atmosphere which covers a planet. Assumed you have two or three different Gleam types scattered on different continents, the atmosphere could light up in many different colours :smiley:

Although a world without natural Gleam ressources will most possibly glitter in the dark too, if there is enough Gleam imported and put into structures.

not a fan of dyeing blocks or weapons and definitely dont know if its even good thing to add since the color tells you what weapon you are using (if i have stone axe and color it yellow, now it seems like gold axe). although dyeing your character and wearable’s is something i hope there will be since those are permanent things and only for looks!