Emote Animation - Gif Collection (warning - large post)

Thank you for the reply. I understand that sometimes you must sacrifice aspects of something to get a better result/product as a whole.

1 Like

Ah yes that would be a lot of work. But not ruled out for being in the game in the future though?
Also, I’m curious if you guys have ever considered asking the community to submit textures or something? Would be cool if we could help directly :grinning:. (Although there is still a lot of time required to process, refine, and implement community submitted stuff)

Facial expressions are definitely not worth making 160 different textures but if you could lower the multipliers a bit, a suitable solution might be possible.

For example like this:
3 (angry/screaming, neutral, happy) different face emote states * 4 face variations for customisation 1 (facial variations don´t affect the jaw/mouth) * 2 genders * 4 races = 24 individual textures

3 Likes

I don’t think that insult emote is an insult at all
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3 Likes

Hiya there Nyuudles,

Yeah the insult was a tricky one for me when I was thinking about it, as you can do a whole range of animations here starting from obscene in one end to childish at the other (like blowing raspberries). At one point we even considered not having an insult at all with the reasoning that it may not have a place in Boundless. What we ended with was a light insult that makes just as much fun of the person choosing to do it - so a little bit fun and a light hearted taunt.

The main character traits we went for in the end was cool/warrior like and not over acted. Like in Braveheart (if you’ve ever seen it) when the warrior Scots bear their behinds as an insult before charging (they lift their kilts to show the opponents a bit of cheek). I’ll attach the ref I showed to the team when presenting the emotes during a ‘show and tell’ to give you an insight into the creative animation process when I was presenting body language and emotion. For the reasons above we’re leaning to the likable guy on the right as a benchmark character personality ref that can be used generically across races and genders. :smile:

8 Likes

“Whips out the meme generator.”

1 Like

This is pretty cool, needs some /dance

yes dance emote is needed

maybe we can do than something like this

or gw2 version

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong. But that hitler emote is best.
https://forum.playboundless.com/uploads/default/original/2X/c/c35e249263bbddc14f5a23e45e35924839738bf5.gif

1 Like

But it’s not a Hitler emote…

1 Like

I am german and I showed it all my friends. I’ll eat my hat if that is not the hitler salute.
Everyone replies: LOL. 10/10

1 Like

The heil would use a much more straight arm, and the hand would not be close to vertical. Also it would inclide 1 and not hits on the chest.

I know what you mean but all of my friends also said “cool emotes but what about the hitler salute?”^^

Really? I feel this looks nothing like it, yeah there is similarities, but raising your hand in front of you is a rather classical greeting.

It looks much more like this stereotypical indian greeting:

4 Likes

The world is just to fixated on stuff like that^^ But there are many different depictions of the hitler salute in various films so that might play a part too.
I know many people who would say this indian is doing it too^^

I love the idea of synchronized dancing! that would be cool

1 Like

That is a frightening statue Q^Q"
But I agree, it doesn’t look like the nazi salute to me at all. I wouldn’t have considered it if not for the above posts.
The nazi salute is a straight arm and extended, flat palm facing down from what I recall, I don’t see much of a similarity personally.
Looks like a greeting to me actually.
:slight_smile:
I think it’s pretty great, looks more like the greeting in the picture I agree.

1 Like

Also some suggestions for possible emotes!

Sassy arm crossing.
A small wave if you’re closer to someone.
Laying down (maybe on your back with hands behind one’s head. Maybe one knee bent and your other leg resting on your lifted knee bobbing your foot a bit? casual/relaxing)
Dissapointed slump/slouch.

Maybe some interactive emotes? One’s that can include 2 characters?
Pat on the back, handshake, face slap, booty smack, hug?
Not easy I’m sure but if they’d be possible that would be too cool!

On a different note perhaps a ledge grab? so if you jump and you’re one block too short for getting up you can grab the ledge and pull yourself up? That would be so very helpful ^_^"

1 Like

would be cool doing some dance kind competition presenting Boundless like those videos before xD. By the way yeah we need dance animation but is not urgent right now, this can wait for a near future, now what its important is the game content and other crucial animations, like attacks, reparing, colecting and few more. Those that are not important might be delayed.

That is what i think, because if developers just focus on those things they are loosing time instead of doing more important content.

Hope all of you guys undertand my little opinion

1 Like

This time, I am 100% in your opinion

i am german too.
but this is not the hitler salute

the boundless salut → the salut starts with a pat on the chest twice, thereafter the outstretched the arm slowly
the hitler salut ->the salut start on the chest no pat or something like an go fast with the hand to the top right.

the boundless salut is like the original roman salut

i think this emote is fine

4 Likes