Escaping Water

Is there a trick to escaping water? Or is it just buggy? I try to get up on land or blocks in front of me and I often spend like 20 seconds bobbing up n’ down, never able to just get over that teeny tiny little block in front of me.

2 Likes

I think there’s a bug with water transitions sometimes. Usually if you stop trying and let yourself sink for a sec right at the edge then go up it works.

I think the swimming animation and such has some odd transition problems in general, the bug has been around for a little while (at least since 195)

I want to thank you for trying to help. I just nearly drowned again, I spent literally 5 minutes trying to get out of a flooded cave and onto a rock ledge, my character sinks like a rock, swimmin’ controls are atrocious…

This is really souring the game for me and that sucks… This game shouldn’t have water if it’s so buggy…

You can place a block down just under the surface to get on top of and jump out

I have never had THAT much if a problem and I have lived on the ocean world of Omegsus V for a day.

No one knows water like me now, lol

2 Likes

At least you found your way out. :grin: Glad I never experienced that problem. Only problem I have had getting out of water was in a cave and I forgot for awhile to look straight up so never saw the ledge in the way.

Yeah I like water on starter planets over lava but it is even more dangerous because you can’t see and die just the same…

If you approach a ledge while in water, an there’s no ramp, pressin’ space bar next to it should lift you out.

This really should be fixed before launch…

Space is “jump”. It gets you out of the water if you are standing on something. If you have nothing solid under you then it doesn’t help (try jumping off your couch and while in the air jump again to touch the ceiling… it doesn’t work). It’s simply using real life physics. Swim to a spot where you can walk out or stand so you can jump. If in a shallow enough spot then place a block under you and jump. Or, as I have done several times pull out a hammer and break and collect rock creating steps for yourself. Just think of what you would do in real life. It works the same in Boundless water as it does with real water. Not a bug, just a small puzzle.

What I would do in real life is swim to the ledge, put my hands on it, and pull myself out…

Somethin’ I can’t do apparently…

Besides, this is a game, not real life…

These are called pullouts and can be very tough to do with swimmers lacking muscles in their traps and lats. I assume this is the issue with our current Oortians. I think someone will need to build a weight room on release.

6 Likes

You were talking about jumping, so, I explained why you can’t jump. Now you want to use arms and pull out. lol Just be simple and do any of the ways I mentioned that have been done thousands of times by others before you. No need to make the game complex as it really is pretty simple. If you want to pull out then a new command would have to be made and the result of that would probably end up having to get rid of some other command or put commands like push, pull, jump, climb etc. on a menu of commands and every time you want to do it you have to open up a menu. It’s easy as is.

That’s… not at all true. Plenty of games, when you approach a ledge, and press spacebar, your character lifts itself over it in a simple animation. And even’in games that didn’t have that feature, I never had this issue in Minecraft, Creativerse, or 7 Days to Die.

Water is buggy, it’s got issues, it should be fixed. This is a problem exclusive to Boundless from what I seen. Your solutions aren’t solutions, they’re work-arounds that avoid fixin’ the problem, an I won’t be the only person to get frustrated when this game launches to the general public.

I have not seen a problem. You seem to want a magic hand to elevate you onto shore rather than changing your position or creating your own way out. Here’s another way already in the game that is sort of a magic hand to pull you out. Make a grapple. Carry it around with you and whenever you are stuck or simply wish to go where you can’t get to then use your grapple. Problem solved again with things already in the game. Heck, some people wander around for hours just grappling to get around for fun. lol

That’s creatin’ a solution for buggy water, again. I’m at the shore, there’s like 1cm of block above the water, I should be able to hold spacebar and hop right ontop of it, but I can’t, because for some reason, this game’s buggy with that.

I can do it in all the other voxel games, but this one.

Havin’ work arounds to the issue is ignoring the underlying issues. Water is buggy, movement in water is buggy, sinking and swimmin’ is slow and weird and not smooth at all. It should be fixed. That’s all there is to it.

edit Water right now is more trouble than it’s worth IMO. It adds atmosphere and all but, it’s got no purpose far as I can see. I’d like to see it fleshed out.

Normally you got on shore quite simply if you aim at sloped and other chiseled blocks.

There have been a bug recently that makes you swim deeper in water. In animation the fpp camera is half submerged when swimming. From third person perspective you can see that walking animation is played instead of swimming. It makes getting on shore very difficult.

1 Like

No literally, this game is meant to be played with a grapple.

I didn’t use one for awhile: Mistake! There are scenarios you can get yourself in that are quite troublesome without one. Definitely bring one everywhere once you can get one (tech crafting 1)

This may be true of swimmers, but our Oortians can comfortably hold a solid 1m cube of stone one-handed, so I’m guessing upper body strength is not an issue for them :wink:

2 Likes

off topic sorry ; but this is a great suggestion… take it further?

Let’s have a muscle skill (allows to craay more stacks?)in the sense of start off with only be able to stack 10/20 of anything… right up to max stack limit as skill or attribute?

What i am trying to essentially is have most skills focussed around real stuff… (how it kinda used to be - get better at mining BY mining etc)

Back on topic:

I see what your saying about the water… it is bu7ggier than it used to be (on test) but as everyone say’s… just move back from a ledge… press space as walking forward and boom your out!.. i have almost drowned once or twice due to the animations though (this time its chnace whether you appear to glide the top of or sink in the water when swimming…

1 Like

So there is already a skill in the game for this… If you want to be able to grab a ledge and pull yourself up then you need to take that skill… this is essentially what you are asking for OP and it already exists in the game…

Evidently I am in error and that skill has been removed from the game! ^^^^

2 Likes

That skill is gone, now its long jump and double jump only. I have also suffered being trapped under the water, which is a new problem. They already gave everyone the enemy detection skill, why not give everyone the ledge climb skill?

1 Like