Exo worlds: clarifications needed?

The other option folks have if they get too worked up waiting to be the first to an exo so they can be king-of-the-loot, is to go explore a planet called Earth. It’s huge and full of wonder and you’ll never get bored.

11 Likes

You sound like my dad lol :rofl:

5 Likes

I am basically the Boundless dad. I have lots of one liners like this on the forums. We share a very young demographic from the PS4 and MC crowd. Older gamers aren’t irrelevant and younger gamers aren’t voiceless. But there is most definitely a lot more whining these days to filter through.

3 Likes

I have to admit it’s exactly the same sort of thing I’d say to my daughter :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

You bring up an excellent question, as you did in your original post. From what I’ve noticed, pattern wise, is that a few pop up and once the last one is gone, its a 2-3 day wait till the next bunch. I can’t say for sure that the initial first exo in the series spawn is random, but the one or two after may very well be.

My guess is that they use that downtime time to analyze aaallll the data from each one. How many people there at any given time, % of resources and regular stone/gravel/etc mined, altitude level most people were on, meteors cleared to meteors dormant. That sorta stuff.

You’re definitely right, they are a blast when they do show up!!!

2 Likes

They sure are, and I hope we can never fully predict when they will appear. I hope it truly is random and I even wish there was no notification methods for the appearance of them. I see the developers get flamed for “unbalanced” implementations but I think its more us, the community, who creates imbalances with our internal notifications and third party bots. A truly balanced game would have truly random exo spawns.

5 Likes

Nice to see I’m not the only one that feels that way.

1 Like

While I absolutely agree in your people assessment it doesn’t change the fact that a large percentage of players are frustrated. For me it’s really the first thing that has frustrated me about this game. but I’m also not naive to think everyone shares my opinion.

That said the devs are probably the most responsive and transparent game dev team I’ve ever encountered. I think what has thrown off a lot of players on this issue is the amount of spawns has been steadily declining since the release of exos. 4 up first weekend to no more than 2 to then now we’re at days without one.

With me I’m all good with random but something along of the lines of just saying we plan to have around x amount of planets over x amount of time. You might respond by saying why who cares? Two words. Build planning.

1 Like

When devs aren’t speaking, they’re likely data crunching/coding/fixing/etc

Outside of them intends to be random, the other reason it might be like this is they’re analyzing all those data dumps we’ve given them. I’m sure there are a bunch of facts and patterns they learn from our play styles with these exoplanets, which will likely shape future permanent planets.

4 Likes

Exos are a random generated and timed event of planets of various levels from lower to upper. The resources and looks are all random based on some specific rulesets around planets. But we will see different colors, designs, combos, etc. There is a system to track what planets have been created so that we do not see the same thing over and over. The resources on these planets when at the higher levels are a rare resource in regards to blink, umbris, rift.

Planets are supposed to be a surprise and not easily found. It is expected that upon discovery people would share the find to other members or the community or maybe even be silent so they can get the resources first. There are no plans to remove these worlds at any point and in fact they will very likely be used for other content like dungeons, events, titans, and other unique things.

The solutions people created to auto notify Exo planets and share them with the community was access of a database that was not supposed to be publicly used or shared. The avenue that was used to gather this data was secured. As mentioned, Exo’s are supposed to be a rare find, but if people feel that the average player is being hurt or they are too hard to find, then I would suggest specific posts talking about that with ideas on how more visibility to their spawning could be made to the larger community from within the game.

5 Likes

You guys who wait on a timer or a notification are missing it. I am having a real blast camping the pops. It reminds me of FFXI back in the early days when the elite would camp the notorious monsters to get the loot if you could be the first to agro it and kill it. It took real planning and commitment, and the more powerful were more elite and powerful because they earned it. Now days, everyone gets a trophy eh. . .

3 Likes

Citation Needed.

2 Likes

Can you explain what you mean?

Thank you so much for sharing this.
I have said from the beginning that a certain someone and groups of someones were breaking this game and cheating. I still stand by this.

I don’t recall a dev coming out saying it was against TOS. So your post is an opinion article masquerading as fact. But if you have a relevant citation I’ll acknowledge that.

5 Likes

Just because someone didn’t come out and say it was doesn’t necessarily mean it wasnt. How many of us actually read thru the entirety of the TOS?

I guess if you all really wanted me to, I could do a “let’s play: boundless EULA” but no one wants to watch me with my reading glasses on redlining a contract.

Let’s go with the EULA is probably boilerplate and overly vague and this isn’t explicitly denied.

I may have. or at least most of it. and I couldn’t really find anything mentioning such a thing was against such, unless there is a whole document i failed to discover.

I am not trying to masquerade as fact but was trying to share a discussion using words that were brought up in the conversation I had during one of my calls. But, as you share the Dev’s have not publicly commented on this. Due to that, I have adjusted my original post because I will not share the exact discussion and am not interested in disclosing the full extent of my conversations with the development team that I have had directly and was not trying to create a “he said, she said” discussion.

The sentiment of the discussion and my comments were basically on point though. But, the conversations is MUCH bigger than a single line and there is no reason to derail this post with that.

In any event the method was not supposed to happen the way it did and it was blocked. The Exo worlds are back to the way they are supposed to be - a surprise and unique in discovery.

5 Likes

Halleluyah.
As soon as I found there was a bot notifying about exo spawning, I lost the romanticism of searching through the skies with my characters’ eyes. And the hope and waiting and hope and more waiting and the disappointment and then the big WOW - it’s there!! What is it? What level? What is it called?

Now, back to exploring, looking up and the excitement of spotting an exo. :sunglasses::heart_eyes:

3 Likes