Exposed portal dynamics, and floor portals

So I am working in Unreal Engine 4 now and come across a lot of interesting things. This one however made me thing about how there might be exposed portions of portals, or perhaps even natural portals that form throughout the map in their own. Or simply this could be inspiration for the portal designs completely.

The reason I bring this one up is because I imagine wormholes and portals being naturally violent around the edges. This is due to the fabric of time and space being bent in a highly unnatural way which is only otherwise seen [or rather unseeable] in the environment of a black hole. Black hole’s event horizons are theorized to be devastatingly violent and full of chaotic exotic energues. So I was thinking as I was watching this… “What is Boundless’ portals displayed a little more of an interesting effect on it’s surroundings?” Therefore, this video came to mind.

Not only does is demonstrate a visual effect which represents the exotic particles being tossed into the fray to create the portal at all, but the depth of the portal, seeming a little more like a cylinder [Or in Boundless’ case, a cube] rather than just a flat piece of paper you walk into and bam, already there.

This is just a visual style thought I had and wanted to present while I still had the thought in my head.

EDIT: As I looked at this a second time, I realized this portal was on the ground, and felt rather large.

Perhaps there is a possibility for massive [perhaps titan sized] portals in the future? Another thought is portals can be both horizontal and vertical? Portals on the wall AND Ground?

This also sparks a question for the developers. Will all portals be square and blocky to fit the world’s shape dynamics? Or will they be circular and dynamic to re-assure the characters living in Boundless’ world are not the only rounded things?

7 Likes

That looks awesome. I especially like the sense of depth you gave the portal (both the interior, as well as how the glow protrudes a bit). The subtle grid lines are interesting, and might fit into Boundless’ theme really well too (what if there’s some backstory to worlds following cubic divisions beyond just “voxel game style”?)

Reminds me a lot of the portal visuals that Epic showcased for Paragon (and thinking of how they pulled that off blows my mind - a lot of hidden backface trickery?):

Both Paragon [which I am totally signed up to try the beta for], and the portal effect I put up above are done in the Unreal Engine 4, so it makes sense they look the same.

The sense of depth is indeed a lot of backdoor trickery. Similar to Valve’s Portal games.

I just edited the post with a second part, one including a question for the Devs.

I am gonna play it this weekend :wink:

I will try to keep out a look for the portal attack to see how satisfying it looks ingame :smile:

1 Like

That idé is awesome and if floor portals is added imma have a secret toilet portal hehe the place people never look