Extreme constant lag

Well I have been able to go finata one time since this last update. And had unplayable connection on besevrona which I have never had before.
Not sure If it matters but when looking at the finata portal from grindstone on angel 1 I keep seeing and illegal protocol message or a game server offline message.
Edit: I am on ps4

1 Like

Seems the general reasoning given is that theres something between the players and servers slowing things down. Every post ive ever seen on this, and my own experience, is that my internet works fine for pretty much every other service anywhere in the world.

If for whatever reason the boundless servers cant be reached by a lot of players, maybe its time to look at hosting somewhere more people can access.

Surely if its this common it cant be soley on the end user, especially when its the only service every end user is having problems with. I know boundless pushes a lot of data, but its 2018 and we’re not all running dialup

Coming from down under I would love to see a planet of high tier hosted for us, I know there’s supply and demand etc but when u need those high tier mats and just get unplayable connection all the time it’s frustrating as hell. Eventually I get back to boori and blam, not a single hiccup.

3 Likes

Some code not supporting multithreading properly maybe? When are the atlases synching in real-time: 204 or 205 release?

I have to tell my strange expirience: I had some connection issue from the launch, maybe for my bad home connection, I decided to change my ISP for some others problems and now I’m without Internet for about 10 days. Because I can’t remain without Boundless all this time I tried to use my smartphone connection via thethering and… I ‘ve seen unstable connection one time in 5 days only in Boori(I’ m from EU) and no more rubber banding or lag. My ping is now higher than before. I now that couldn’t help anyone but I wanted to share my discovery.
Maybe someone expert easily explain the reasons, but for me was a unexpected thing.

I took a moment this morning to look these up as well as do a trace route.
54.93.218.82 appears to be the server in the EU; doing a trace route to it showed:

A whole lot of unresolved hosts. Those that did resolve are my ISP (Comcast) and then Level 3. Seeing as I can’t resolve the hosts beyond the Level 3 hop in France (212.73.243.158), any report I would try to give for routing issues stops there. I can only ask my provider to look at its connection to Level 3; if the connection problem is further down, then there is nothing I can do.

I have the same issue as others have noted where US East night time access to EU servers grinds to a halt. It is for this reason that I try not to make use of the Ultima portal network anymore.

This is one of the big challenges for the game. It’s not like any other MMO out there, because every block on every planet can be changed by players - so having the world run from the client, like most other MMOs do, or from local servers only (like FPS games do) isn’t remotely feasible.

As far as I’m aware, there’s no other game out there that’s as ambitious in its attempts to have any player from any country on any platform play in the same universe at the same time.

The downside is that, because of the integrity of the data that needs to be sent between player and server, and back again, the kind of routing issues that would hardly bother other games of this type then become an issue - which is why routing issues like the above are a challenge, and why peak time ‘noise’ can also have an impact.

Again, not saying these issues aren’t real - I’ve experienced it too on occasion. But I know the devs are constantly working to further optimise the data sent between client and server to minimise the impact, and short of restricting players to only play on worlds in their own region, it’s a difficult problem to fix.

2 Likes

This is my experience also. I was hunting on Bes last night around UTC 01:00 with zero issues.

With day light savings switch in the States did the time of lag change by an hour also?

I’ll be honest, I haven’t portalled anywhere since the time change. I can try tonight, but as soon as I do, I won’t be playing Boundless for the rest of the night because I won’t be able to escape without having to pay coin for the mistake.

I had issues too last night.First time it was this bad.
Then cleaned my PC instead of playing and didn’t have any issues during Europe day time but we will see this evening when more people are online.

That’s the thing, some of us already are being restricted at peak times to play in our own region to avoid being locked out of the game entirely.

Ever since the last update, I too have been having bad lag making the game unplayable. My latency keeps spiking between 100 and 300ms changing constantly making the game unplayable. I’m in California, USA and my home base server Storis II is unplayable as well. I had no problems on any planet before the latest update. I would hunt on T6 planets daily, but tried last night and it was unplayable. If this isnt fixed I’ll be forced to quit the game :frowning:

Edit: I also tried playing again this morning with same issues. I also quit and reloaded the game many times trying to resolve the problem with no help.

Im from the UK and have only experienced a problem once. Although the past week I’ve had messages come up in the corner of screen gameplay hasn’t been affected

If you encounter an issue on a specific world please try and let us know about that case with as much detail as possible. Given as many of the details listed below gives us a better chance to start trying to diagnose exactly where your specific issues are occurring and then try and work out how to proceed.

• Which world are you having an issue on
  • Exact time it was when you were having the issue (list your local timezone if you don’t convert to UTC)
  • What platform are you on PS4/PC, are you running wired or wireless network.
  • Screen shots of in game latency graphs if you’re on PC
  • Your approximate geographical location
  • Internet connection (and any isp info if you don’t mind sharing)
  • If you try to connect to another world in the same region as the one you’re having the issue on does that show the same issues
  • If you try and connect to a world in the region closest to your geographical location does that show the same issues
  • WinMTR traces for both a server in the region of the planet you have issues with and a server in the region closest to you geographically

For WinMTR traces you can use the following servers for each region
US East - gs-live-use1.playboundless.com
US West - gs-live-usw1.playboundless.com
Europe - gs-live-euc1.playboundless.com
Australia - gs-live-aus1.playboundless.com

Where are the test servers located? Are there test worlds in each data center? I’ve honestly not used the test builds excluding once, so I don’t know if the new F9 thing gives you free coin so that we can open warps to servers in different regions at will. That would at least make it easier for me so I don’t have to spend coin to open a warp to a planet I can’t access (or to warp away from a planet I just got booted off). Either that or remove coin cost for warping in general.

Or work out the issues for the console platform it’s the one suffering the most, in any case planet side 2, no man’s sky, I can run those games without a hitch, runs beautifully. Tera, Neverwinter, war thunder on simulator mode on cross platform servers, just amazing.

I don’t think the game is ever properly optimized for console even their test servers are for PC and their changes are made to PC.

Maybe disconnect the PS4 players from PC for a bit and see what happens and a seperate PS4 servers, cause I feel robbed and I would like to see their vision come to fruition.

I’ve also seen bad lag for a few days on PC. I find it’s mostly around portals, but turned chunk rate down to min and was exploring a planet that couldn’t keep up. Ended up in pure sky for a while. If I stay away from portals or my home world I’m usually ok, but portal networks have been pretty rough with chunks of time I just wait to stop glitching long enough to open a portal and get off planet. Not one to say something typically but I haven’t seen this since launch at all and it’s getting troublesome.

Every test of my internet it’s fine

It’s amusing seeing these posts after dealing with it on the PS4 for so long and getting the ‘its You not us’ responses.

At some point something is going to have to be done.

it doesnt cost coin to open the warp in the sanctum unless you actually walk through it into the world.

1 Like