Falling Armour is worthless

Can we make Falling Armour actually do something reasonable? For 5 points invested, I still lost a third of my health while falling from one level of my base down to the next level. The distance is this:

The distance is about 9-10 blocks. I have 5/5 Falling Armour on this spec. If I had missed the jump and gone down the remaining 10-12 blocks further, I would have been close to dead…

INB4 “there’s a guild buff for immunity to falling damage!” This guy is my miner and therefore part of the PS Mining faction which doesn’t get immunity to falling damage (there are better buffs for miners).

INB4 “lol why do you have Falling Armour even specced?” I have 5 talent trees on this char. He is my miner, lumberjack, surface gatherer, and while I haven’t figure out what to do with the 5th tree, my 4th is my “deconstructor” tree. It’s used for tearing down builds rapidly thus why I grabbed the 5/5 Falling Armour.

INB4 “why don’t you just use a Floating Pie if you’re worried about falling damage?” Because I have (had, actually as I died before this from falling damage which lead me to test this out) Persisting Pie up as I’m heavily using a Diamond T6 hammer to deconstruct my old base floating high in the sky above my new build. Also, Falling Damage is something universal that happens anywhere. It’s unreasonable to expect food to be used to prevent something so pervasive when there are many other foods specific to whatever it is you’re doing at the time.

UPDATE: Okay so thanks to @Cuetzpalomitl, it looks like Falling Armour only works (or perhaps only is “effective”) at HP levels below what you’d get if you upgrade Vitality at all (and perhaps upgrade HP with foods). It seems that Falling Armour should be redesigned to be a blanket % reduction regardless of HP. This is especially needed given that falling damage is % based anyway.

4 Likes

You forgot mentioning floating pie :smiley:

Yes, I think falling damage is still too brutal because of how it deals damage based on character max hp. And I still like Creegles suggestion to falling not able to kill player :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hah thanks. I’m going to actually add that to the INB4s lol. I also like that suggestions from @Creegle

1 Like

Falling armor only works if you don’t upgrade hp

2 Likes

That seems… err… bad.

1 Like

Reading this thread, am I to understand that falling damages is proportional to your max health ? I did not know that and my SO and I always thought that the falling damage was bugged or something.

I have my builder and explorer with Max falling armor but 0 points on how and I can jump from stupidly high places without killing me, you some times take damage tho.

Yes! I also used to had full up and full armor and never worked lol. It doesn’t makes a lot of sense tbh.

Holy cow… .a player with the ability to actually provide useful feedback…my faith in end users is slightly restored…

The last time there was a “Fall damage is too much” thread i posted a very specific set of questions for players to respond to that… If I was a developer I might have wanted to ask

If you the player would like to contribute useful information i suggest you answer these questions and possibly add more information to highlight why you feel something should or shouldn’t be changed…

Remember:
Not Useful == “RAWR FALL DAMAGE BAD, REMOVE NAOH”
Useful == “Hi i have the following issues (Tons of information)”

Please post more stuff like OP, he literally says “this is my issue, these are things i tried to work around the issue, this is why i feel it needs to be changed”

2 Likes

And not to toot my own horn

Do you invest in the fall damage reduction skill?

No, i do not invest in this skill because i would rather use the points in something else… like the required light skill…

• Do you invest in vitality to increase your health pool to help buffer the amount of damage you can take?

No, I do not invest anything in vitality because i have to put my points in other skills to make mining fun… like the stupid required light skill…

• Do you have a guild/faction that can provide the builder safety buff that helps mitigate the fall damage?

No, there are better buffs to waste coins on, this buff is basically worthless because no one wants it over other buffs…

• With the above is fall damage still too much?

I find that with no vitality and no fall damage skills i seem to take less fall damage and survive falls more often.

• Are any of the mitigating factors too expensive or simply not worthwhile?

Yes, The skill is worthless because i need the points else where to be an effective miner (ie i need a stupid light), the guild buff is worthless because it only lasts a week and there are better buffs. the food while cool is worthless because i need it for my hammers.

And Ctrl-64’s answer from the other post

2 Likes

It is same with drowning and lava that can be seen as keeping new players same time alive.

But I think this damaging just punishes players who have used skill points to have more hp. Regenerating takes longer as it is not scaled with max hp and cheaper healing items are more efficient on players who don’t invest vitality or health epic.

To me vitality has only useful if I am hunting and even then I have it somewhere on 1½ blue bars.

Hopefully there will be some changes when there comes update to PVM :slight_smile:

What do you use on your hands when mining?

1 Like

I like to put icy ground quirk on my grapples for this reason too. It adds a free 2 points of falling armor : )

1 Like

Hammer / Grapple / Solidifier / Waterbreaker / Recovery Brew / Food / Bombs (health/regen/dmg)

Persisting Pies and Strength brews for the planet/hammer

I don’t feel glow is worth paying extra for on a tool. I could probably buy bombs or a grapple with glow on it but then the fact is underground its easier to just have it on your 24/7.

I don’t like the system either. It’s great when you have no points in health. Weird right. If you are trying to build a tank you would have points in health… seems like backwards logic they used.

2 Likes

Right on. Crazy when my tank loses enough health to kill like 9 other people combined from a fall that wouldn’t ultimately kill anyone. Health should be part of that, while one point in fall protection should be worth a little more than one point in health so it would benefit my low-health builder etc.

1 Like

Its actually really helpful.
Just don’t add any hp, and you will feel how useful when you build any high structure.
Not good for hunting I think, but very helpful for character use grapple run a lot in city or builder type character.
You can fall from very high and won’t died.
I have max the falling armor for my builder, and I really like how it works so far XD

1 Like

Works well in dodge bombs with the double jump.

1 Like