Falling damage

Is falling damage getting looked at? I’ve died several times due to receiving falling damage from going down normal stairs, falling 1-3 blocks, etc. These short distances should not be causing fall damage. Dying in my own beacon from a 2 block fall gets quite annoying.

8 Likes

yeah ive had the same,seems a bit iffy at mo,ive falling of cliffs and taking 600dmg yet i fall from 3 blocks high and taken 1000+ dmg

1 Like

Glad to hear other have had problems with fall damage. I’m currently living on a sphere about 60 blocks from the ground at its highest point and I died more than several times in its construction. An investment in a grappel stopped my problems

1 Like

Run past slop block for 3k damage. It is not just you it is insane.

1 Like

one tip is if you hold down the creep button while working at height it prevents you falling off blocks.

1 Like

In general, this is about receiving falling damage when you actually shouldn’t. ie. dropping a distance of just a few blocks, going up/down stairs, clipping a corner of something, etc.

For normal fall damage, I have seen this to not be very consistent in terms of amount of damage you take, but the bigger issue is receiving fall damage when you aren’t actually falling.

3 Likes

The solution is to remove the XP penalty. This game isn’t supposed to be hardcore, right? It doesn’t need a penalty.

2 Likes

i honestly have no problem with xp loss on death in combat,xp penalty for fall damage however…

as for hardcore i see it more as semi hardcore (tech proper hardcore would be like perma death or something),we already know they want to add higher tier planets(could go as high as T10 or even T15),titans which is essentially raids and along with unstable planets etc,i for one welcome the challenge,the problem with many games these days is the difficulty is non-existent,it’s a given players looking for a challenge but love voxel games will get bored if content is too easy.

1 Like

And players looking for a voxel game without some of those challenges will get frustrated and quit. It is an interesting balance for the developers to strike.

3 Likes

It depends on whether the devs want to jump on the bandwagon of practically every other voxel game or not. I can list a dozen or so off the top of my head where death is pretty much meaningless in the base game, whereas only a handful offer a higher degree of difficulty without modding. I can only think of 7 days to die for the latter category but I’m sure there are a couple others.

Tho only maybe half of the dozen would be considered mmo-ish in nature.

2 Likes

That is true but this brings up another point of balance for the developers this is called a sandbox MMO. Not just an MMO and not just a sandbox. Most sandbox games strike a different balance then MMO’s Not saying you or anyone is wrong. . it is all a balance to try to please or at least find an acceptable compromise for both sides.

Well, to be fair I can’t really be wrong, I’m just saying that there are two ways of going about it and it’s up to the devs to decide which way they intend the game to be.

Neither way is necessarily better than the other, tho each might prove more popular with their own niche of players.

I like to think of it as stubbing my toe or twisting my ankle in a misstep. may not be fatal, but it FEELS like 3k hp gets deducted. :joy:

Jokes aside, I agree that the fall damage is bugged and I’ve noticed if you land on sloped blocks, you take less damage than if you fall on a flat surface. It’s a pain in the butt, but I always keep a grapple on my off hand just in case. 3 block fall, can’t risk it :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’ll throw in here that I seem to have been getting higher damage numbers as I’ve increased my run speed. It might be coincidence but it feels like my running speed is somehow being taken into account in the impact.

I’ve died from small falls at over half health a few times and assumed maybe I was just way lower than I thought, then yesterday I was running around and hopped down into a small 3-deep ditch and lost something like 300hp, which I then stopped and re-fell into from a mostly-static position and lost 6. Very bugged. Much fix needed.

edited for clarity

1 Like

probably because the skill that increases run speed also increases crit chance so it could be that your critting more often.

My fall damage is getting a crit?

ohhh you were refering to fall damage,yeah thats somewhat iffy at mo,ive taken more dmg from falling off 3 blocks then falling 8+ blocks up :confused:

hopefully its something that will get looked at later.

I’ve just maxed my HP and I’ve noticed this problem is far worse at higher HP. I’ve never had these issues before and I’ve fallen right off cliffs…

2 Likes

Have these issues with slopes while mining. Running UP THE SLOPE and it hits me for 226 dmg.

The fall damage is out of control.
I take so much damage here and there i can die from just jumping around and if theres a hole thats even 3 deep, thats a 6 block drop and im dead.
No point in working off my death penalty if im going to die again before getting to the next desert sword.
At higher levels and with more skills it gets ridiculous.

1 Like