Farming Suggestion - Reason to Farm Organic Crops on High Tier Worlds

As it stands, the only crops affected by high tier world are goo, in which its color changes depending on with type of world its on.

I would like to suggest that there be a reason to farm other crops on higher tier worlds. Perhaps a very small buff to their yield or seed drop; Nothing major, but enough to justify it.

Assuming current maximum bonus means roughly 0.67 seeds and 2 produce per 1 crop, perhaps farming on an elemental world (tier 5 or 6) can increase this to 0.7 and 2.2 (on average), respectively?

This could be achieved by passively adding 0.03 and 0.2 bonus to these stats when planted on elemental worlds.

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly but I wouldn’t allow bonuses to organic ones above tier 4 worlds.
Combustion and kindling could use bonuses on tier 5 and 6.
Otherwise all farms will happen on lvl 1 and 2.

With bonuses too high lvl 1 and 2 would be omitted though. So proper balance needed.
Of course, bonuses in yield or growth speed for higher tier worlds are counterbalanced by dangerous wildlife and atmosphere, making it gated behind skills to a degree.

At this point il even take that, just SOMETHING to give a reason to farm on high tier worlds outside goo

1 Like

I’m curious, why do you need a reason to make farms on higher tier worlds?

My farms will be on a T6, simply because I live there.

4 Likes

Yup, me too!

Although I would happily accept a little bonus boost, just for us adventurous types :wink:

I plan to make them on T6 regardless for the same reason, but mainly I want to see more people building on higher tier worlds, and having farms be slightly better gives us one such reason.

I guess people don’t build on high tier world because it’s no fun. Make these planets fun, instead of luring us with rewards.

To me it’s no fun because you have to hop multiple planets in all 4 regions to get to the low tier planets where the shops are. Networks route me, as someone playing from Europe, to go through Maluariakrib and Galan (one or the other could be skipped, thanks PS). And Aus don’t even have a level 4 or a reachable level 5.

If they would fix the planets to allow better portals, I’m sure we would see more life on these planets. Bonus points if they remove the atmospheric protection skill points. I don’t want to waste 12 points on my crafter just so he can pass through some planets…

4 Likes

I tend to agree.

Prehaps atmosphere points can be put into one of 3 epics (for each atmosphere type), with their only purpose serving to allow exploration of tier 7 worlds.

3 Likes

I think as has been said, if you want to attract the larger player base they you have to have a safe environment and no atmosphere or you loose the lower level characters ability to visit or work. This is why most things happen on the lower tier planets. I am not sure gating optimal crop yields behind additional skill walls (since you cannot even get the atmosphere skills till you reach a certain level from what I recall) is a good idea. If we want the game to function as an MMO then I think creating more barriers that force players into a position where they segment themselves is not a good idea.

I also think it forces players that do not want to have to build on a t4 or higher to have to do it to optimize a farm. Why even do that? What value does it add for that player? Why does it make the game better? why can’t I build my farm on a planet I like versus having it restricted to a higher tier if I want a decent return?

I do think that if we had a larger player base them there probably would be more players building on the higher tier planets in order to get space. So while I understand why you might want the entire universe to feel more populated, I think gaining more players is the better way to allow that to happen naturally versus forcing the issue with game mechanics.

2 Likes

I suppose you have a point, which is why i suggested the bonus only be very minor.

I think everyone can agree that more players = good, just a matter of attracting them. I’m somewhat hoping theyl do a round of advertising once farming is released, since there’s no other major planned updates on the roadmap until titans afaik.

Personally, I think they need to wait a little longer to market the game. I think if they can get the rented/private planets, solve whatever is holding up Umbris from the exo’s and I think they need a new mob be that the hunter or the titan then maybe they should push the game. I just think the more they have to offer from what is on the website, the better.

I also think it would be in there interest to rework the reward chests before marketing the game. I know it does nothing to add content, but new players jump all over it as p2w and that has to stop.

Sorry very off topic

I understand this but you know how we are. We will want to maximize the yield, we are jumping through all sorts of hops for the last 13% bump in yield as it is. . While it does not actually force players to do it, we are competitive and I think that really would be the result.

3 Likes

Any discussion for the betterment of the game is good, and now that you mention those other features I tend to agree. I assume hunter mob is already nearly done and that the removal of lootboxes graphic shouldn’t be too hard, and that Umbris issues should hopefully be fixed this update given the lighting update.

My only concern about rented planets however is the issue of splitting up playerbase, but we don’t really know much about rented planets outside what was said years ago (private disconnected planets vs connected planets), but if it helps support the game than i’m for it.

Catch 22 - risk splitting up playerbase in order to advertise the feature to attract new players

It is a catch 22. Lets say they offer rented planet. These planets have to follow the rules of the universe so given the rules the planet cannot offer every possible resource needed to make all the tools, forge, craft every block, etc. Players with a rented planet do almost have to interact with the rest of the universe. They will need portals to move back and forth which requires hunting at this point. So will this increase the players hunting? If players have a safe place to build, will they engage in large scale projects that will require more resources that they can’t get solely from their planet? On the other side, if we have 50 planets that only half the existing player base lives on because the rest live on rented planets, how will that look to new players? We already read about empty cities. Is this a result of really at this point having too many planets for the smaller population? Is there really anything that can be done about this without creating issues for players that have invested time and effort into building on planets that are really no longer necessary?

If the developers could implement blueprints and in order to get players to leave planets, offered a one time you can pick up your build and move it to any other planet (that is also not subject to removal) could that work?

That could yes.

While what i’m about to say is slightly “controversial”, one other idea in order to reduce the split up playerbase would be to straight up delete the less populated worlds, offering players, including inactive players, blueprints and whatnot to their builds to replot it instnalty in other locations. This would also require some sort of “storage” for any removed blocks and items in storage, which would also be a major undertaking in itself.

The issue here is that although that might solve the population split up issue, it would both be difficult to implement and bound to cause players screaming “pls no”.

Suppose its also a matter of cost for rented planets. Higher cost means less people renting. Other features too like “do we allow tier 6 planets where one person can easily mine emeralds all to themselves” ect…

At this point its really upto the devs.

Back to my original post - perhaps allowing plants placed on tier 5 and 6 worlds to take on colored hues similar to goo - in this instance, completely aesthetic but cool looking

1 Like

Would the seeds allow the same color to be planted on a lower tier world?

I would assume not - basically the seeds are all 1 “type” (as opposed to tons of colors like we see in grass seeds) but change color as soon as their planted depending on world type, but assuming the devs even considered the idea it would be up to them how they did it.

Both ways could work however

I don’t like that we can place lava blocks. I don’t want any lava on level 1 or 2 planets. Neither do I want it on Xa Frant, Circapous or Besevrona.

I think it’s kinda strange that a single placeable water source block can fill a single stack of buckets, but can make water flow over your rice for an eternity.

I think it’s wasted potential that the atmosphere has no influence on your farm, nor does the weather.

I was hoping farming requires you to scout for the correct location and planet and build a farm at the correct place. I can’t fill buckets to create Earthyam soup on Lamblis, because there is no water. But I can grow rice there…

Farming will end up being like the Garnisson of WoW. Everyone will build the perfect layout and will be able to grow everything, being self sufficient. Here is what’s going to happen.

• The forum will solve the perfect layout.
  • Everyone will collect the required blocks and build “the perfect farm”. They will all look the same. They will all grow everything. They need no maintenance but to gather seeds. (Why does it not eat the various soil blocks? Why does “farming” require you to gather and not to work on your “farm”? :-))
  • All the farms will be attached to your home, because it doesn’t matter where you build them.

I would be better if some planets are better for some plants. This would increase the trade between players because it would be harder to have 18 farms on 18 planets. Want to grow coal? Figure out a way to dig into a lava lake on Lamblis. Want to grow Earthyam? Find a spot with the correct soil and water nearby. Want to grow Exotic Earthyams? Better find an place on an Exotic planet.

1 Like

this - I would love to see ice biomes with snow falls to be poor for organic; and rainy biomes to be great for rice etc.

2 Likes