Feat Grinder

For the life of me I can not remember where the feat grinder is anymore… Anyone that can give me directions lol.

Feat grinder? do you mean the slide?

If so, portal related feats have been disabled due to AFK methods of acquiring feats

5 Likes

Oh good grief…

1 Like

I’m glad they disabled that. Anytime people figure out a way to get feats while AFK or without actively doing anything (and therefor not actually “playing” the game) then they should disable it. It’s not a “feat” if you are not actively playing. Instead, it is a “cheat”. Games with cheats in them are horrible. So, I hope every cheat ever found is disabled until it can be made impossible to take advantage of it or it is made to result in negative experience rather than positive.

1 Like

Just to ask for askings sake. But how does the feat grinder negatively impact the game? I was using it to get the 80k experience that I already had done normally thru my first 2 toons on my 3rd alt so I could get it up to speed to be my crafting alt and therefore freeing up my other 2 toons for respecs into hunting and mining. See I have very little time to play, and since this community is only exists on these forums, I have had to grind away to even make it possible to maximize my time so I could do the things I want in game in a relative speed. I don’t see how you think this wway of doing this on a solely pve game hinders or ruins anyone elses experience. I could see you saying that if someone was doing this in a RTS or MMORPG like StarCraft or WoW. But in Boundless there is really no way to ruin someone elses experience except for by building random blocks around someones projects. But I understand your point of view but in this instance its far removed from other games where this sort of thing would cause people grief. And if they didn’t want people trying to figure out ways to get achievements faster why not just disable all of em. Since achievements in this game are pointless. Since its a creation type platform and an achievement saying you’ve run 16 million miles is rather ridiculous.

1 Like

It affects the game because that is cheating. An ALT is another character and you need to work it up like every other character and person. It ruins other people’s experience because you get things that other people are having to work for. So by you having it with less effort you get to capitalize on it and receive the benefits while others are still having to build their additional characters.

2 Likes

People have responded to myself and others about how we all have to have a level playing field. That means that as much as possible the game needs to ensure there are no shortcuts. People have been trying to make it where higher tier investments are no different than anyone else after 1.0 (which is impossible). But, if they are having fits about that then they would really go ballistic if some people are doing in a few hours what it took them months to do. I’m always on the side of there are no shortcuts. I have three characters myself. None are above I think level 36 as they are all about the same. My builder tends to be a couple levels behind. The vast majority of people have never used this “grinder” or even probably seen it. Since they disabled the feat when they saw how people were getting experience, they obviously agree the grinder is not the way the game was designed or intended to be. Someone figured out a shortcut to the system. When people figure out a shortcut then the shortcut needs disabled.

It’s not a matter of how you in particular use it. It’s how some people will abuse it if there is a shortcut. Something impossible to stop is the way the first person to new levels happens in WoW and others (since you mentioned that). Like when they went to 60 levels and then when they went to 80 levels the first few people to reach the new level with a new character were the same people each time. The reason why (and why they bragged so much about it) is because they were competing companies that players paid to “power level” them. The first to level 80 starting with a new character did it in under 24 hours. His company planned everything out exactly where to go. Whenever he needed a break someone took over for him. Meanwhile there was a group constantly around him leading him and making sure he got his one hit to get experience and the group would finish everything off for him in seconds usually as he ran on to the next battle. Many people started battling for it and didn’t realize companies were involved (a son was one briefly until I showed him what was happening) and thought they had a chance. They learned there was no chance for anyone other than the companies. It’s always best to keep things where everyone has the same opportunities playing the game as anyone else with the same skill and time available. It’s not personal. It’s simply fundamental fairness. I accept I level slow because I do three characters at once in Boundless. Faster though than my six I did at once in WoW years ago. lol People that do one character at a time will always be way ahead of me regardless of time basically. If you think how much time it takes to get some of the feats that get 40,000 or 150,000 experience is too much then say so. Personally, I think the time is fine and I am far from getting the 150,000 on any feat with any character. Don’t worry about it. Just relax and know it takes a long time to get to the top level normally (some have done it in less than two weeks or even as little as 4 days (which I would expect was with the “grinder”).

Some of us only care about the higher tier investment in relation to income and how it will completely unbalance the game around economy and dis-incentivizing some to even try to play the game on an economy level and anything else linked to that original investment in development. There is nothing wrong with investments in the game for founders as long as they don’t tie into other areas that are key to game play.

Many still want a single character that can go beyond level 50 but since ALTs were a requirement then I completely agree that people just have to work to make each character earn their respective levels.