Feedback: Free Weekend - First Impressions, Thoughts, and Suggestions

I’ve been following Boundless for quite a while, keeping up with updates and news postings. My experience during the free weekend was, overall, positive, but there were a few issues that I felt existed to turn me away from a purchase right now.

Worlds and Graphics: Boundless’ visual experience was quite pleasing overall, from the verdant forests of Lush Trior to the arid craters of a rugged metal world. The features generated in these worlds were both believable and fantastic, and they inspired a drive to continue exploring. Portals and Warps were visually compelling and fantastic. The vast, dense fields of decorative flowers that appeared at times were my only real issue performance-wise, as they weren’t counted as grass and all wanted to be rendered at the same time. Artificial lighting is another complaint - the light falloff is generally too sharp and too short, making cave exploring an exercise in near darkness or a large expenditure of torches. I realize this isn’t a huge deal for more veteran players, but for someone just getting into the game, making a large number of torches to go spelunking in caves that regenerate daily can be a bit tedious.

• Consider: Double the range of artificial light sources, both held and placed, and adjust the light falloff so that it fades more smoothly instead of ending rather abruptly.
  • Consider: Treat decorative flower entities in the same class as grass, so they’re culled at the client’s grass render distance

Gameplay: Overall I felt the tutorial section of the game is quite nicely-paced and serves to introduce players to the base mechanics. The Feat and Objective system follows on from the tutorial and keeps players focused on goals within the game to continue advancing. The use of a regenerative world is quite clever and serves to keep things fantastical and pristine, even in a world with a large number of players. The inclusion of the grapples, for improved mobility and parkour shenanigans, meshes well with the refreshing nature of the world as the need to build or mine large stairs to access various areas is mitigated significantly. I feel like the beacon and plot system serves the game well and is fairly clever as well. Even the various skills and level system is fairly fantastic - I got the sense of a very Ark-like experience from a character perspective. My one major gripe is the transition from early gameplay to mid-tier; Iron is just very troublesome to come by using basic tools, especially on earlier worlds. Don’t get me wrong - there’s certainly plenty of resources, so my suggested fix is less along the lines of “make more resources” and more along the lines of improving the function of the Atlas:

• Consider: When holding an Atlas with a resource inserted (tuned to that world and in a discovered region), highlight all Plot zones (each 8-meter-cube) within 32 meters (assuming each block is a meter) that contain that resource. It might even be sensible to only show these zones in Builder mode, though they should be viewed through terrain. It might be worth considering showing each plot within range with a “heat”-based color dependent on the quantity of the resource within (though that is more searching and math than just ‘Find Resource in Plot’). If this sounds like a good idea, then perhaps an Epic skill unlock might resolve that down from a Plot-based granularity to a Block-based granularity (still a 32m limit).
  • Addendum Consideration: This functionality might even be better suited to a consumable/durable crafted item attuned to a specific resource, e.g. Copper Sounding Charge. In this way, the Atlas functions identically to its current means, providing a general map of resource density, while these Sounding Charges would provide the player a brief window into nearby resource distribution for its attuned resource. The caveat would be that these Sounding Charges would take some of their attuned resource to craft, so players would need to use them wisely in order to avoid waste.

The smart-stacking system is brilliant and I love nearly everything about it, but I feel it would be nice to have a simple control to cycle to the next item in an actively-held smart stack rather than having to open the menu and manually reordering them. If such a control already exists, I apologize for being blind and dumb. The crafting and knowledge menus are excellent in concept and help a lot for newer players in learning what recipes exist and where to find resources and craft items. However, it could be better…

• Consider: Allow crafting recipe lists and the Knowledge list to be filtered by name. The categories help, but many categories can still be hundreds of entries long, and finding an individual item can still be tedious.
  • Consider: Integrate context-sensitive crafting. Particularly with furnaces, having to flip to the Knowledge list to find a recipe, then manually slot it, is another act of unnecessary tedium. When interacting with a furnace or other similar crafting machine (I didn’t get to make a Refinery or anything requiring power coils or the spark engine), pressing K should bring up the Knowledge tree filtered for that machine’s known products. Each item able to be created with the character’s items should be highlighted, and an option on each entry should exist to quick-move all relevant non-fuel resources to the machine (and take out any non-relevant non-fuel resources present).

Combat: I’ll admit to not being particularly great at the combat system. I died a fair few times just trying to hunt Wildstock on an L1 world, though it happened less often as I learned their patterns. Going at Stout Skysquidthings with a copper slingbow wasn’t terribly pleasant, but I feel that’s more just a function of not having enough iron and slingbow skill investment prior to stepping into an L3 world. Other than that, combat feels fairly tactile and punchy, and there’s definitely a bit of adrenaline when going against even basic wildstock that can knock one a fair distance and send them careening off of a cliff or down into a narrow pit if they’re not careful.

That’s more or less it for the first impressions. I very much enjoyed the world-hopping feature of Boundless, both through portals and warps. While I felt that the Warp cost was a bit high, I never got past level 20 and in to later worlds, so I’m not familiar with how many Coins one gains as they progress, nor am I familiar with the operational costs of Portals. Overall, my reception is fairly positive, but some of the mid-tier elements felt rather grindy (going at L3 world blocks and resources with Copper tools, ugh, not the best time) in the limited time I had and have put me off purchasing for now. It also likely didn’t help that precisely zero of my friends even bothered to try it with me, so they’re just useless sacks of Wildstock droppings.

I look forward to the developments by the next free weekend or even sale (even if it means somewhat starting over because my plots are likely gone by then) and wish you lot the best of luck! Maybe by then I can change my plantigrade legs for unguligrade ones and clip-clop about on hooves as is only proper. ; ) (totes selfish cosmetic request)

19 Likes

There is at this time no way to cycle a smart stack though it could be very handy especially with cooked food smart stacks or forged tool smart stacks.

Also the blind and dumb comment is a bit overkill imo as there is an enormous amount of controls and mechanics to get the hang of over time and no one is dumb because they don’t know something yet.

Aside from that I feel you went into amazing detail with your feedback and it was very well organized.

I hope to see you in game again soon.
Glad you enjoyed your time in the game.

2 Likes

You might think so, but I’m rather thorough and meticulous when getting into a new game and take the time to exhaustively go through the control listings and customize them where I feel it necessary. I did this with both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous, if that gives you a sense of scale. So, for me, I would definitely have had a moment of the blind and/or dumb had I missed that. I definitely didn’t think to go back and look at the time, either ; )

1 Like

I would encourage you to give it a go! Make other friends! There are plenty of us out here. :nerd_face::+1: You named a bunch of reasons this game is so great! Too bad you didn’t get to explore the T6 planets! Wow! They are insane and beautiful.

1 Like

Good feedback!

I will agree with you partially on the semi grindy feel of the early tech level trying to transition into iron and then titanium and beyond. For new players without others to work with, it can be daunting. I remember some of that feeling overwhelming for me at first.

My advice?
Two things, first: push through! If you can push through that grindy phase, the game really takes off into a high tech level that allows you to do some amazingly cool things.

Second: despite what people think about this game being a minecraft clone and needing to do everything alone… it really, really isn’t. It’s an MMO. The game might honestly need to portray that better in some ways, but I won’t get into that. All of that to say: talk, trade, and team up!

I don’t really play anymore, but at the height of our power back in the first months after release, the Forgemasters were a force to be reckoned with, we mined it all, killed it all, and worked together to achieve greatness. It was a blast while it lasted. The game lacks some endgame imo (you’re about 150-200 hours away from needing to worry about that though heh) and that’s why I am gone.

Looking forward to Exoplanets though! Might be a good time to get involved with the community.

Thanks for the good feedback. The devs do read, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if you got a response or 3 from them asking about other things and such :slight_smile:

I agree, this would make a big positive difference!

I kinda like that they render before grass, it allows you to see them much easier when gathering surface resources… I certainly feel your pain with the flower fields though… cripples my mac lol

Excellent idea! It has been suggested before and would definitely help a lot

This is a good idea!

This is not really necessary, because the machines now (they didn’t used to) take items from the input deck, ouput deck and also your inventory, in that order of priority. So you can control what colours of rock are processed (if you want to make one colour and not another)
This doesn’t work with the furnace though, it only uses the stock in the furnace.

Oh, I see. The furnace is the outlier of the machines, then. Still, I feel it could be useful because of the difference in how furnaces work compared to other machines. The quick-place mechanic isn’t super necessary, I agree, just a convenience, but having context-sensitive filtering of the Knowledge list when using a furnace would still be quite helpful with its current function.

2 Likes

I agree. The visceral reaction I got to the game was a mixture of past experiences in both Minecraft and Ark (minus the pvp), but with enough of a distinction to be its own experience.

That is a point of disagreement from a design philosophy standpoint. To me, the grindiest parts of any game should be the end or top-tier phases. Eve is a good example with exponentially-scaling time for Level 5 skills versus Level 3. Guild Wars is another where, while not as patently-obvious, mastering various skillsets and practices takes significantly longer than exploring and learning new ones.

In general, early gameplay should be about learning how to play. Mid-tier should be about exploring options and expanding horizons, and late game should be about mastering explored options. This cycle is even potentially repeatable with more varied and complex game mechanics. Having the mid-tier roadblock of just having a long/hard time of finding resources can be pretty off-putting.

I feel like my suggestion regarding the Atlas and locating resources would go quite a long way to resolving that; one would still need to find at least one resource naturally, but afterward could use that to locate more fairly reliably. Indicating to a player that their sought resource is, definitely, in this nearby eight-meter-cube (as opposed to only vaguely indicating that it is somewhere in the general region between the surface and mantle), helps to absolve a potential sense of futility in the search. Minecraft gets away without this by having comparatively abundant resources in strictly-defined depths and regions as well as relatively faster exploration and prospecting; as a starting player, I can dig in faster and further on a single iron pick than I can even with a trio of copper hammers, more dramatically-so on higher-tier worlds. That’s not to say that minecraft is better in this sense - in fact, I enjoyed hunting for resources more in Boundless than I ever did probing for diamonds in Minecraft. It might have had something to do with hanging off of sheer cliff faces or cave ceilings via grapple to cherry-pick some exposed iron : ). It’s when I sought to find resources en masse for progression that things started to feel bogged down, though.

Dang, now I want to try to dual-wield grapples and spider-man my way along cave ceilings.

4 Likes

It’s kinda grindy from midgame up to and through the current end game, to clarify my statement before - I mostly just meant to say its worth the grind because of the rewards.

The game isn’t meant for you to progress super quickly if you’re solo, as I said before the lack of end game mechanics like dungeons or random stat loot in this game is holding it back somewhat. The process to getting to the end game being a bit longer is just a design choice - not necessarily a flaw.

I have to be honest and tell you I am not the most relatable person to talk about the solo grind life though, I led a guild of ~30 people and became one of the wealthiest players in the game with my megastore in Anvil, so I am somewhat detached from the early game struggle… having 50k+ of every metal and 10k+ most gems will do that to you

Pffff, nice : )

coin right now has nothing to do with levels and eveything to do with how many people visit your builds if you dont build you wont make much coin unless you find a shop that sells what you are willing to farm

i dont know how the devs could portray it short form posting on the store page “if you like playing solo DO NOT BUY THIS GAME” sometimes people want to come home and relax and that means doing things solo and not haveing to talk to a bunch of people about what needs to be done

i played 90% of the game solo and i can say the grind starts the moment you finish the tutorial its not has bad early game but mid game is where the farm A to get the components for B to build C to collect D starts

yea it can be a little tricky to get used too but once you do it becomes a no brainier on fighting

1 Like

It was a really, really fun process over the course of a few months. No regrets from me!

I do think this game has superb potential, its why I come back and lurk in the forums and offer feedback, advice, etc fairly often even though I haven’t played in months. I guess I’m just waiting for some new feature to knock my socks off and drag me back in :slight_smile:

That is another general point. Yes, this is an MMO and designed to include multiple players in all aspects of the game. However and again from a design standpoint, I feel that a game able to be played solo should able to be enjoyed solo. Boundless does this pretty well, but as it may have become obvious, I do feel there are a few shortcomings. Nearly all games are more fun with friends, but friends aren’t always around unless you are a magnate of networking and manage a group of 30+ individuals. ; )

So that’s why I never got any footfall from my idyllic Lorien-style forest cottage/platform only accessible via grapple or treacherous and often-fatal spiral stair : )

I really did want some safety rails, honest!

2 Likes

I build solo and have my own settlement. So I play mostly solo. I hunt with River Towns (RTG), my guild, some nights. And RTG often joins bigger groups.

Apart from that, it’s solo.

I get about 5k a day from FF and I also get about 5k a day selling surplus oort. That’s is enough to pay for the axe, hammer, bow or healing bomb i need that day.

Solo is fine for me - but then I’m not that ambitious. I’m not even up to 1 million prestige yet … close, but not yet. My aim is to get prestige to Town and start doing Forging more seriously.