The game is GREAT, it has a lot of things going for it:
- Beacon system - A great way to not worry about the home you building.
- Objectives - It was great having objectives as tutorial instead of forcing me into doing stuff just so I understand how the game works. And after the “tutorial” having a list of objective to do, really kept me from logging off. The moment i finished building my house, I had that feeling of “what now?”, but the objectives gave me some goals that I didn’t think about.
- The UI is very easy to understand, pop up tips that relating to the thing i’m doing right now.
- Leveling system - give a scene of progression which games like this doesn’t really have, and this is very nice.
But on the other hand, there are a couple of things that did annoy me a bit:
- Skill point - I did like having skill points after each level up, but having crafting/movement/combat skills all those types of categories fighting for the same skill points, fills a bit too much.
I was below level 20, so I could reset my skill tree as much as i wanted, but it felt annoying to change “builds” every moment (I need to place some blocks/craft stuff - i need skill point for that. I need to go mine a bit - need skill point for that. I need to hunt - …).
At early game, it’s ok to be like that, but from what I understand - at end game you will only have 100 skill points, so no matter what, you will not be able to “be good at everything”.
In a game like this, it’s NOT ok. In other MMOs you get limited amount of skill points and a lot more combat skills to choose from, in this situation, it’s ok not to have every skill in the game, you aren’t going to use them all anyway.
But here, my combat skills are taking away my crafting skills which is part of the core game-play of this game.
If game like this would like to have skill system, it should be something more close to Skyrim, where doing more activities of specific type (like crafting) will level up your crafting skills, and those skill points will be used ONLY for that activity.
- Combat - the combat in this game is a bit dull, I got to play with crossbow and a bit with the melees. Maybe there is more to it in the late game, but I didn’t get to that point.
- Time gating - While craft I did find out that we are forced to wait until something is finished crafting.
It’s something that I wouldn’t mind if it was a bit later in the game, if you craft complex things, but there was a lot of simple stuff that it was just annoying to wait for them (refining stone for example).
- Cubits - At this point I’m not sure if cubits are the in-game “real world currency”, which if they are it’s really not ok. I mean, if you could buy ONLY cosmetics with them, then sure! but anything else? hell no, especially plots.
I could see myself sink hours more into this game, but the skill tree & cubits does hold me back from buying this game.