Fire Caverns Community Hunt - Jan 6th 2018 @ 5 pm UTC

Less than 1 hour before we start.

And lets be sure to mention about the PETA stuff that these are monsters that are coming through a rift onto the planet. They immediately attack us and do not try to have a civil conversation. Additionally no matter how much we don’t attack back they will continue to invade. Due to this my only recourse is to provide a forum where we can stop their invasion and if we must kill them then so be it. The good news is they will then be reincarnated and maybe learn from their mistakes and next time not just attack.

Now I do admit we have some barbarians in our group that only want to kill. But overall I think everyone would not attack if they didn’t attack first.

4 Likes

Death to anything that spits crapo at my face or bashes me with horns! FOR MEAT AND GLORY!!!

2 Likes

is like horror movie no body can be at same place at same time or we make it worse
:slight_smile: oh xalda i copyd your sign hope ya dont mind i leave the old one as is people know where it is allready so it stays to

Hunt Results and Feedback:

Thank you so much to everyone (about 20-25) that took the time to show to this event and make it a great one. I really do appreciate everyone’s patience because we did a lot of running and had limited success in spawn creation. I also appreciate all the help people provided and input they gave - especially @virresss and those that had been doing the daily hunts.

We even had some participation from @james and everyone took some time to enclose him in blocks to protect him from monsters. Of course I think he has special abilities enabled that monsters ignore him because I clearly saw some wildstock walk right by him to kill other people. Maybe he is a spy…

There was a lot of feedback during the hunt but I did not write it all down. I ask that others put their own observations down in this thread so the developers have the information. But please do not argue points people make. I don’t want this thread to turn into a discussion thread but more of an observation thread. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss various views on a specific topic please.

Here are some observations during the hunt:

1. We have moved backward severely in the ability for large groups to create spawns in the wild. Initial portal into area created nothing and after a long walk we had limited monster interaction especially compared to previous hunts. This really affects game play fun in being able to generate loot and interact with monsters.

2. Going to new regions did not help much both in meteor generation or large monster groups. We spent over 30 minutes before we even had our first meteor and that required us to go back to the Munteen Paradise area.

3. The event is fun at some level and very hard. This is fulfilling but there are still major issues that people bring up about changes that are needed:
    a) There is too much happening. You cannot kill monsters, dodge all the hard attacks, get loot before it disappears, heal, etc. at once. People feel loot should not be dropped by individual monsters during the event and instead be put into one delivery at the end. If loot still comes from monsters of meteor then we need it to stay longer or more waves so people can keep up with clearing the dead bodies.
    b) There are too many bombs. Many computers crashed because they could not handle the load. 1-2 cuttles should have bombs but not all. Same goes for spitters. People would prefer more of a BOSS type situation of hard attacks from them, not 8 cuttles at once.
    c) Meteors did not happen enough considering we had 20+ people running around. We had to run too far too long to generate an event. It is very hard to keep so many people together within 300 meters on planets with the variety of land and obstacles.

4. One hour into the hunt I had 1/2 of the Oort I normally could generate prior to meteor events in the same amount of time. Two hours into the event I was only about 200 Oort versus the 300-350 I could get.

5. Gem drop rates have increased considerably compared to old hunt metrics. After about 2 hours I walked away with about 100 gems each. This actually feels like too much especially after I heard what smaller groups can create in their daily hunts. We really should focus on fixing MINING gem drops instead of trying to add another source to get them. It is kind of stupid to have mining and not use that to get gems.

6. Other iteams: Ore drop rates are worse than prior hunts. I didn’t have much at all. The same goes with fossil because we stayed away from Wildstock mostly but their drop rates seemed ok. Lots of meat and bones as usual - about 1-1.25 smart stack.

7. In our third hour we tried to create another meteor and did get 2 level 6s delivered but the server or game crashed for everyone and when we got back in the events were fully ended and we received no reward. We did get a level 5 a bit after.

8. There was another big bug around a bomb drop that looped over and over. Someone has a video hopefully they will post to the Bugs thread.

9. Meteors should not be linked to the “city area”. People want less mobs around cities due to building. The wild is wild for a reason.

The below is more of my own personal view and summary than from everyone, but I know some do agree –

Overall while the meteor event was a great idea and event to add to the game, some of us do not agree or like that normal hunt dynamics that we had were removed from the game. We feel the meteor should be an addition to the community and community hunts, not a replacement to the dynamics we had before. We want the old spawn dynamics where we could portal to an area and actually have huge amounts of mobs to fight… We don’t always want to have to run around a city for 30 minutes to try and create a meteor.

The hunt was fun at a base level (mostly because of people being with you and chatting more than the actual hunting) but overall I don’t prefer it as my main source to get loot. In fact I now completely shy away from larger community type events because I didn’t receive the reward I was getting for the same amount of effort (outside of gems being more) especially considering the meteor counts.

For those wanting to protect or defend the developers – the event is great a liked and praised in many ways. But it has resulted in other things being removed from the game that were NOT being complained about or asked to be changed.

thanks again for everyone that provided their views in voice chat and were there. You made the hunt great and obviously the hard work the developers put in made it so we did have meteors – which is still soooo darn cool!

Please reply to the thread and give your observations as well because I know I still missed much input people provided…

9 Likes

These are some great observations! I’d like to add that the drops from meteors seemed a bit wonky today. During a couple meteors, I hardly participated (my slingbows were all broke!), and I still got ~20 oort and an assortment of gems from the lootbox at the end. I heard others in voice chat complaining about how low their drops were despite having participated heavily. Maybe this is due to the luck attribute?

2 Likes

I agree with the things that @Xaldafax wrote. I can’t agree with the drop rate critics, but that’s only due to the fact, that this was my first actual hunt, so I have no comparison. My first impression yesterday was, that, as a noob, you just run around and smack the dead bodies to get loot. At the meteroid itself I died very often. That’s why I think the idea with a summarized reward at the end is great! It reduces the chaos because you have so much to do at once: killing, looting, dodging (or trying not to die). But still it will be very chaotic. Because of that I think the idea of a boss is very interesting.

1 Like

As for the drops. I do not think what meteors and the mobs associated with it are meant to drop what they do now. I think in the future when the game is out (or a few versions from now) they will drop other stuff. We have already seen feathers being named by the devs.
And we also have no engines in game, while they are mentioned in the decriptions of the machines. There are also rare blocks we haven’t seen like “Blink” or “Dark matter”. Maybe in the future apart from oort stones they drop in smal quantities from the meteor lootbox and the mobs drop stuff like feathers and such.
It seems to me a bit odd that before this change i had to tunnel for two hours at bottom layers of Andoweem to get 60 - 80 daimond gems, while i now just join the hunts for two hours and have the same amount of every gem in game. This doesn’t add up.

I think the loot is like it is so the devs can have us show up in large numbers and test stuff. James is present always every hunt and i have seen other devs as well. We might as well profit from it and stock up on gems and oort stones. I expect poorer times coming ahead in the future regarding these materials.

2 Likes

It would be nice if the meteor cores was made of a rare material, only obtained from meteors.
Non fighting chars can obtain it from dormant ones, also a source for explorer to hunt.

2 Likes

Good points, all @Xaldafax

My suggestions are more minor and navigation based.

1. Have the player icons semi transparent on the compass so you can still see the direction markers of NSEW or make the markers bigger

2. Have a Meteorite icon on the compass that can be viewed from the moment of impact until it has been looted

3. Please bring back the mini map! I really miss it from the old days of Lester! :lester:

4. I will say this again because it irks me so much, game crashing when trying to chat when in trade (or in any menu for that matter)

5. When you press enter after chatting, have the chat window close. So if you want to chat again just press Enter (or whatever key you use) In the heat of battle, it becomes hard to see if the little tiny ‘_’ icon is there and get killed by typing wwwwwwwssssswwww instead of moving out of the way LOL

Those are my additions to the suggestions above. Thank you all for a great HUNT! :peace_symbol::purple_heart::boundless:

4 Likes

@Xaldafax. Thank you for organizing the great hunt!

-We did go a long time at first without any meteors. Other times when playing alone, Often there are meteors falling every couple minutes.

• the game did crash several times on me. After several crashes occurred I could not get back in, it hung at contacting discovery server. But I could hear on discord people getting back in and still playing. Had to restart computer.

• the battles are very difficult, and I would say impossible to stay alive, especially with the loot system. A lot of the loot will come from the monsters, and their bodies will disappear before the battle ends, so if you want to get the loot you have to spend a lot of time whacking bodies and then stay in that spot for 1-3 seconds waiting for the body to change into loot, then wait another 1-3 seconds for the loot to be picked up, all while bombs are falling, projectiles are coming at you, and then standing still is a great way for the wildstock to send you flying. I’ve tried continuing running while hitting bodies and then circle back but then there are no markers for where the loot is and it does not pick up well if I just run over it. And I would really rather spend the time trying to shoot things, so I compromise and alternate shoot and loot. But the bodies clutter the battle hiding spitters and hoppers, and seeing them disappear without looting is like the game taunting, haha there was loot but you don’t get it na na na na nana!

Now I forget the other comments, but there was less oort stones than last hunt.

There were a lot of gems, but it would be nice, no, it’s essential, for a gather-crafting game to be able to gather as many gems by mining or something.

I heard a rumor a future update will include auto loot, that would be great, so in these big group battles we could try more to fight and stay alive.

It is fun to have group events, but people comment they have to be on these because it is the only effective way to get Oort and gems.

I wish I could make the daily hunts, but, well, I have to work.

I’m glad there are so many nice players to go on these hunts with.

4 Likes

Meteor mobs do not have to drop loot, the meteor core should be the reward.

1 Like

(Oh my gosh! I can’t believe it took me a week to find and finish this)
Agreed on all points, @Xaldafax! plus a few things I would like to add:

yep! just a few minutes longer for us to be able to loot them. If the loot gets pushed to the meteor core I’d be afraid there would be much less loot than you’d get right now… that’d be like 6 or 7 different stacks of items… dozens of some, hundreds of others. I do like to be able to loot the monsters, but on the big community hunts like this, looting mobs is pretty much all I do, and I still see them despawning all over the place

I am quite happy with the gem drop rates, but that’s really because mining for gems is almost completely useless.

Definitely. I think when in large groups like this, that chaotic kind of spawning is desired, this is why we’re all together, we are hunting!
Although this just spawned an idea, what if the spawning algorithm checked if (and how many) players have a slingbow equipped and if all or most players do, then SPAWN LOTS OF MOBS! :smiley: and also if all or vast majority of players have totem equipped then regular spawn mechanics engage and spawn in like some herds or whatever suits the natural terrain.

Yes! these would be amazing. The meteorite icon should be visible from the moment it lands until the moment the loot despawns.

Another thing that stood out for me was the imbalance of rewards. I’m not sure how it’s calculated but I hit a lot of creatures, running back and forth across the battlefield spraying projectiles to hit the spitters, wildstock and the dead bodies so I could maximize my return from the dropped loot and the meteorite.
After it was all over I looted the little green crate and got 7. Seven oort. I got over 10,000 xp -just- from mob kills from a level 6 meteor!
Some time later we got a level 5 meteor. This time I made SURE to hit more mobs and do more damage…
12,000 xp worth of mob kills…
ONE oort.

6 Likes

I also agree with @Xaldafax that “normal” hunting became redundant and its a loss to game’s dynamics.

Maybe meteorites could spawn in 1 per half an hour rate (-ish). That way we would meet to actually hunt, like before, and only get 3-4 meteorites as a bonus on top of that.

Bringing over 100 gems of each kind from 2 hours of hunting is way too much and is removing the experience of rarity that should, I think, come with gathering and crafting gems (yes, current gem generation in most worlds is flawed and there are not enough gems coming from mining so replacement is welcome - its just its too easy now).

We’re is the meet point

What planet
And coordinates

Please

oh man, I remember fire caverns. Was one of the first places I hooked up a portal to.

Their hub is in Munteen. Currently there is no way to get there tho.

Join the official boundless discord where hunts are advertise daily with directions.

I don’t know about that. If they could find there way to Vulpto then they could just hop from ring world to ring world and end up on Munteen.

Very true :thinking:

As soon as a ring world is reached then the rest should be easy enough.

1 Like