Flag abuse! Flagger of a post should be public

everyone knows there has been a lot of abuse of the flag system on these forums over the last year or so. Sure sometimes a flag is warranted but many times it is being used as a political tool to shut people down or sensor them because they just simply do not like them or their opinion. under the current system they are able to do this anonymously I believe that it would be better if these people we’re identified when they flagged your post. Just because one person or a handful of people want to team up against a certain topic or a certain person or whatever they should not be able to cowardly hide behind being anonymous. After all if the post they wish the flag is truly out of bounds then they should be willing to stand behind their flag.

I have had many people over the last year privately messaged me telling me that they dislike this Anonymous flagging so I hope that many of you will actually have the courage to post your support for this change.

flag abuse is basically a form of censorship and it stifles free discussion of ideas and Concepts which drives many people who would otherwise participate in the Forum away.

I think it is time that these flag abusers are put on notice that their behavior is unacceptable

10 Likes

Any and all flagged posts are moderated by the devs, if the flag is warranted, it remains. If it is not, the post is restored and the flagger loses flagging reputation (meaning their future flags carry less weight).

What you are asking for is likely not a part of the forum software, so would never be implemented.

Simple rule of thumb is, if you’re posting something you feel may get flagged (either because it’s off-topic, or conflicts with the CoC), then probably best not to post it.

25 Likes

i disagree mate since i feel making those that flagged a post public is the same as name shaming.
and it will just create more flagging and anger towards those that are shown public.
a flag should stay anonymous, but that being said it should be taken care of in a better way

14 Likes

Flagging needs to stay anonymous. If it was public I could see how players who flagged anything being harassed needlessly. There is a system in place already. The devs have control over what has been reported or flagged.

11 Likes

Well then the flagging should change to where there is no hiding of the post until the Forum moderators decide the fate of the message. By the time it is make my screen fixed by the moderators the post is long since become inconsequential

4 Likes

The post is “hidden”, but you can still click on the little link to open it up until the post is actually removed.

Edit: I do not see the harm in temporarily hiding a flagged post. The devs still have the decision to keep that post hidden, remove it, or unhide it.

10 Likes

Personally I think flagging is misused too much on forums but it should stay anonymous for normal forum users like us :slight_smile: Game reports and flags are just messages to moderators, nothing else.

4 Likes

I think flagging should require more than 1 flag to hide the post.

1st flag should notify a moderator for decision while the post is visible still

2nd flag is insta hidden.

This way one person can’t just come through and flag stuff they don’t like. If it’s an actual issue then more than one person should flag the post.

6 Likes

I’ve said my peace here many times.

2 Likes

It is a real shame not to have freedom of expression in this forum, but unfortunately, I think it is a losing battle. As you can see, in Western postmodern society, censorship is well regarded and freedom of expression is considered dangerous, it is considered offensive to break out of the “politically correct” consensus.

In the responses to the thread you can see what they recommend to avoid others censoring you: practice self-censorship :zipper_mouth_face:

Summary

:poop: all this!

2 Likes

I can say this guy only flags responsibility.

1 Like

That’s a paradoxical response almost haha

How the flagging system works

Public flagging would create more problems, and if there were offensive posts people would be afraid to flag those things, because they do not want to be harassed. Overall I think the system how it is, is fine. Everyone does have a freedom of expression on the forums.
If I flag, it is only on things that are offensive. Not based on opinions.

Edit: Back to work :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I’m sorry, but freedom of speech does not apply here. It’s not an open forum or a free-for-all. It’s a privately run forum funded by the game developers. It’s their platform, so it’s their rules.

You can see how freedom of speech would turn this forum into a wasteland of inconsequential mumblings if everyone just started to reply to a topic with meaningless drivel not related to the original subject matter.

fixed.

15 Likes

Basically, if you have a high trust rate, you can insta hide any post with a single flag vote, even if your flagging is unnecessary.

This is the only place I’ve ever seen this.

I think that your response here is a little distressing, coming from a moderator.

1 Like

Me being a moderator has nothing to do with it. And I don’t know what you find distressing that requires a hollow response like that.

4 Likes

Moderators should be “above the fray” IMO

1 Like

There is no “fray”. It’s a discussion about a moderation function.

5 Likes

Ok Aenea I give up
You’re right. No point in having a discussion here.

1 Like