Forging Balance Changes on Testing

• Forging Epic now grants 4 additional Centraforge slots in the ingredient deck, up from 2. I’m going to break forging again lol. Been so long since I was this excited for a boundless update (I always enjoyed seeing where the game was going but this update actually had me go into the test server for the first time ever)
1 Like

I am 100% for these changes no spitter eyes yay the darn things never wanted to give you there eyes anyway killed tons of them and no eyes, wildstock will give my eyes for days though

Yes, I was getting around 780 Boon points from a 400pt Boon 3 on a Ruby Hammer IIRC.

1 Like

Yeah now the only way of forging previously will be as useless as all the others.

Or, if you look at it a bit more neutral, the previously OP way of forging is now on par with others, leaving you with relatively similar options to choose from.

The nice thing about this test setup is exactly that - if it sounds to you like they are ruining your fun, hop on the test server and come run a few scenarios. See what you can get done using all the methods, and please report back if you cant find a single route thats easier / better than any other.

I actually think that might be what they are going for when they say “balance”. Also, every tester help ensure that actual balance is achieved so if you feel strongly about what you’ve read it would be even more useful to test and bring some results!

2 Likes

I don’t get how people can still view these changes as negative. Hell im pretty certain I’m going to hit close to 30% better yields with the way the quirk system has been tweaked.

Edit:

And holy crapola I forgot earlier to comment how stoked I am about the sinking feeling quirk. I. Am. So. Happy!!!

2 Likes

I just went onto Test and tried it out.

Yes, gem tools get up to 200% effectiveness (the new max for all tools). Pure boon gives 800 pts in that environment.

@rossstephens

Could you please improve AOE 5 in this forging fix?

Right now, you need AOE 4 + Damage 8 to 1 hit on T6. That is very hard to get to (all my hammers failed) in the new system. Could AOE 5 just be full damage 3x3 AOE?

Starting a poll to see what people think:

• AOE 5 buff should give Max Damage 3x3 AOE
  • AOE 5 buff should stay the way it is
  • Other…

0 voters

8 Likes

Very nice changes guys. Very glad quirks are no longer punishments. Also nice we get 2 more slots. But now we also need a way to tell time

3 Likes

So AoE5 and Damage 10 one shots the entire universe?

4 Likes

I’m super stoked for these changes, just the efficiency is so major. You guys can keep the draining/vigor catalyst route I’m looking at high efficiency low return compounds for cheaper forging all around. And easier ingredients. Amazing. Super excited to check out all these changes and do some really intense breaking of everything I touch on testing.

Fantastic write up, and fantastic testing changes guys. I can’t even conjure up a thing I’m not looking forward to messing with on this list. Soo many quirks I’m gonna be trying to get.

As a question @rossstephens is there any way to target the quirks? Do they follow in any way what the gums buff? Or are they purely random (havent really paid too much attention to that myself)

Also many thanks for taking the long route on this one. Amazing way to handle what many are conflicted on. You guys are great!

2 Likes

Or instead of max damage 3x3 aoe, possj9even 80% or so. That way only a damage of 4 ish would be sufficient for t6.

5 Likes

purely random but there are quirk removals/transmutes

I already have a few methods that are going to make some really nice tools, but I wish I could test them on the testing server, too bad I’m a PS4 player lol

4 Likes

Just saying man, a lot of the comments are overwhelmingly positive and you come in here with the “well we’re just not going to play your game unless you make it exactly how I want to play it”

You might want to reconsider your position.

1 Like

Just wanted to highlight this part as this sentiment resonates with me. I really despise game developers that try to appease to players by dumbing down mechanics to the point that it becomes a watered down version of the original vision of the game. Thanks for trying to maintain a sense of complexity without making the game complicated. Complicatedness vs complexity is always a tough challenge in game design today.

Question:

Are these quirks completely random or is there a way for us to target some of these quirks?

@rossstephens
Would you be willing to share some rationale as to how you, as a team, decide on these initial quirks? I’m curious as to how a small development team can decide rather quickly how you choose these quirks.

3 Likes

I think a better alternative might be to drop AOE 5, or maybe a slight increase in damage (10% more?)

7 Likes

If it was remove damgeloss entirely (not what you were suggesting just kinda commenting lol) then you would only need like damage 3 to one shot everything and getting level 5 on that is insanely easy so obviously that would be broken. I think with 3x3 being so MANDATORY as is, level 5o being a huge negative is kinda a good thing as it limits players to not be so… gungho on their forging

5 Likes

Shame draining boon will be nerfed like they planned a few weeks ago.
The less debuff count weakens its combo with the vigour catalyst. And with the added quirk points its like a double nerf. Guess i wont be using that combo again.
Maybe diminishing returns or hard cap on vigour points returned would have been better.

Cap removal on effectiveness is a good change.
Not sure about the rest, gotta see those live i guess.

edit: new quirks look nice.

2 Likes

It’s a crying shame that PS4 users can’t test this, sigh.

1 Like

Perhaps add a cheaper alternative to vigour catalyst which also removes any buffs or debuffs?

The problem here is it is difficult to get Damage 8 and AOE 4 without the vigor process…I mean you could, and you will with luck…but I tried making hammers on the testing server a few different ways and I couldn’t do it. Best I got was 7 damage and 4 AOE

2 Likes