Game changing idea

1. every game owner getting 1 sov planet - tier 1 random generated sov with random colors, no fuel needed
    2 buying GC allows you in addition to change colors at your premade sov planet once a month as long as GC is active
    3 payable options to change colors at will
    4 want more sov - you can rent them as the system is active now, still need to fuel them
  2. want to rent an exo planet? want to pay a 3days rent with chosen Tier and colors picked from whole 255 palette?

what do you think?

3 Likes

Unfortunately keeping every sovereign costs real money, thus sovereign for everyone is not a viable option.

It is an interesting option to scale sovereign perks depending on number of sovereigns paid for.
I actually suggested long ago to remove the double payment of GC and sovereign and instead have one subscription system with tiers unlocking more options for higher tiers.

Or, if GC and sov fuel kept separate, allow free GC perks for sov owners (their GC timer paused as long as they have at least one sovereign and running in periods when they don’t have any active sovereigns).

2 Likes

#mythoughts

3 Likes

i knew it was bad idea when i started to writting but i wanted to hear the
voice of reason i was trying to mute in my head :smiley:

thank you @HOST for this exact voice of reason:smiley: d

2 Likes

it’s always good to get some more opinions.
And it is good you at least came up with the idea.
who knows something could be possible that works for everyone.

1 Like

It would be nice if everybody had one warp core beacon: you would plop down a warp core and it could connect limited amount of plots to it (limited either by total amount of plots or their distance from the warp core), the warp core would always be the main beacon of the settlement, otherwise it would work about the same as normal beacons.

When the warp core beacon runs out of fuel it wouldn’t empty itself to reclaim, instead it and all the plots connected to it would jump to sanctum. Then the player could just plop a new warp core beacon down where ever they want and if there is enough empty space around it, the connected plots would instantly jump from sanctum to the new location.

It would work a bit like instant blueprint system, where every player could have one perpetual base that they just need to plop back down and they’re ready to continue playing, if their old base had regenned.

By limiting how many plots can be connected to the warp core beacon Monumental could control how much memory space they need to “waste” to store a base per non-active player. Anyways it would be considerably less than a whole active sovereign planet.

You could build a mothership, or a flying castle, or whatever around the warp core and just plop it to a new world when you wanted.

It will never be implemented, I think it would be cool though.

2 Likes

With 249 we actually would have had a lot of this - in functional terms at least.

It just would have been private worlds. Then instead of the studio paying for them by the hour we could just run them on our own PCs with a LOT more flexibility.

If it weren’t for the money to run the planets most of these seem like good ideas.

1 Like

From what I would gather its actual memory and data transfer and most likely data transfer that is the higher cost of running the servers.

249 might solve that if people were running local universes or at least alleviate some of that granted I have no idea how that was planned. I do know local universes as I have said probably 50 times, will ruin the game for me for the most part unless all the local universes are connected. The Boundless Universe will in essence be gone as you would have Local Universe A, Local Universe C etc. etc.

While the main universe would still continue (so it has been said) people will be complaining about player counts even more. We shall see.

1 Like

The storage is expensive at amazon. The last time I was renting clusters there they were billed by the minute regardless of how much they were actually computing. Of course larger accounts or long term ones can negotiate better rates but it’s not cheap.

The planet data has to be stored even if nobody is visiting it. So if they generated and stored a planet for every player it would get pretty crazy even with hundreds of players. They can do it as we’ve had at least a few hundred running at once before. But that sort of ongoing per-player cost for everyone who has a key would crush anyone.

All the rest of it could be done on private worlds though.

I don’t think they had the Lua stuff available on the version that was working with 249 but it was live with the auth servers and everything, people got to play on other people’s worlds. At that point you could just have new worlds every day if you were willing to generate and host them.

2 Likes