Gem mining - easy fix

@Trundamere I love your name XD what a great mash up, and I liked the video just cause of the name. Cheers and ggwp
Edit* you must have it private I tried to like it but I can’t lol great video though.

1 Like

I don’t think you understand how the economy of this game works let alone how business works.

If someone is regularly buying up all of one or more items in your shop every time you put out more, are they really a competitor? Not really. They’re your customer. Even if it’s another shop owner it doesn’t mean they are going to make crazy ROI on the investment of buying your raw materials or crafted item. It just isn’t how it works.

Personally I think 600c for a rough gem is too much so I don’t buy them from people’s shops. I think they’re worth around 200-300c each cause I know how to find them and its a matter of whether I will go and find them or not if I decide to pay more than that. It’s about the opportunity cost of spending my time searching for a spot to mine them, then mine them up versus buying them at potentially a premium price because I wanted to go the lazy route in spending coin.

The thing with shops is they are a business you run in Boundless for a lot of folks. It’s actually a rather rewarding thing to do since you’re not only playing the economy mini-game but also can potentially help a lot of folks out through your hard work in managing the shop. And man is running a successful one tough. Maintaining a shop and keeping it successful is far more difficult than anything else in the game. If you think the game is grindy now, try actually being a shop owner and playing that style of the game competitively. You’ll completely obsess over it and for people like me that’s a huge plus cause the player base as a whole is going to benefit from all that shop competition.

Also, someone who is mining gems isn’t just getting gems. They’re getting 3 different rock types, iron, copper, 3 different qualities of coal, 3 different fossil types, ancient techs, silver, gold, titanium, flint, rock salt, opal, and all 4 fragment types. So if you think for a second that he is losing out on profitability because he is selling his rough gems at 850c and buying at 600c, then you’re incredibly wrong. They’re getting so much stuff that they can turn into sellable items that their coin profit is well into the green. It would allow them to skip gathering certain things completely, such as Shimmering Orbs, and purchase those raw materials at a price slightly at a premium. So if the only thing you’re buying is the Shimmering Orbs for Enriched Bonding Agent for your gem tools, then those gem tools can be sold rather cheaply. This translates into cheaper prices for a well forged version of the item.

2 Likes

Maybe we need some kind of event to wipe out some planets and what not to actually create a cause for panic… like truly destroy the cities that are plotted and destroy some of the build out that… but that would do a few things… drastically change the power, gem, money issue people seems to be expressing…
Ect titans could potentially come to any teir planet and follow the path of plots or size of cities currently out there and just start wiping them out, ever go as far as terrain forming planets and wiping whole resources potentially extinct…
Just an idea fuel by the you could have nothing concept growing up…

Destroying the work that people have done without some sort of actual feature or game mechanic (aka Titans potentially doing this on high tier dangerous worlds) I don’t think it would bold well to retain players very well. There are other issues with that if a flying living dungeon is destroying people’s homes on the surface and one of those being that there’s zero way to actually defend a city against that kind of attack since we have no static defense for settlements.

How wealthy players are isn’t the issue. It’s the ability to have a plentiful amount of places to gather resources from. Such as if you want diamonds you’re going to Serpensarindi instead of Alcyon. It’s just easier to get the diamonds on a world that primarily spawns them that also has a terrain that makes it easier to acquire them. I would even argue Serp is an easier place to get Rubies too even though it’s a secondary gem for the blast world.

We don’t even have any Special worlds yet to get Rift, Dark Matter, and Blink resources from to make items from. Perhaps they will be introduced at Tier 7 worlds, but I think it would be safe to say we’re in need of more coal, metal, and gem worlds across Tier 3, 4, 5, and 6 before getting harder worlds.

But I don’t think a wipe is a good idea. I think everyone who’s built stuff on Beckon would quit the game if all their stuff was wiped clean. Right now we need more worlds and additional content to play through. I think Titans would be a nice selling piece to get people buy the game and existing players to be more active.

Just some thoughts on it.

1 Like

I don’t think you understand how markets work. The person seeking the supply of gems makes most of the money, and fast rather than waiting around to sell them. The market who buys those gems at 600 doesn’t sell it at 600 because he needs to make a profit. This isn’t communism, so there’s no reason why he should sell at the price he buys them at.

1 Like

Eyyy, you tel him James lol. Seriously though, being back bomb mining James, please :kissing:

There is nothing wrong with Gem Mining. Why should this game be wuick and easy. No disrespect to the OPer but perhaps the devs should build and craft and give you everything? Like common guys, go out and work in game for these items. If the place has been mined go somewhere else, do a different gem, sell it and buy the gem your after. This game isnt hard I have had it since Sept and I have a level 45 from purely mining and leveled up a new toon to 16 in 3/4hours with teaching pie and just hunting mobs.

If everyone had gems the grind for advanced powercoils would be over and end game forge items would be worthless.

I like this game cause it has aspects of realism to it. Ie you dont just get handed everything on a silver platter.

1 Like

Because of the suddenness of it.

Everything else, you just going up a lvl in the world. Lvl 3 Metal World has very rarely Silver, lvl 4 has Silver and Gold, lvl 5+ has Titanium.

But gems are on very specific worlds, 1 per world, you will only find Diamond on ONE world in the whole game, and no other world.

But not even THAT is enough of a wall. You will only find it on that world, in a very specific location on that world as well.

I don’t remember all of them, but some can only be found under lakes, others on near the top of mountains and so on.

No other resource in the entire game acts this way. Not even Desert Sword, which has the word “Desert” in it’s name, can be found commonly in most biomes, not just deserts.

And if you are a new player, or a player that doesn’t look up guides, or wikis, or forums, you’re not going to know any of that. I don’t even know the locations at all, cause I just read the Forums, I don’t go looking up spreadsheets on how to play a game. I go into the game and actually play the game.

Till is T4 and have titanium.

TWO, not one. That’s 100% more than you state!

Every resource act this way. There are specific rules for every resource for resource to spawn. I don’t see Stardrops in desert, nor cacti in snow biomes… I don’t see desert swords in snow biomes either. Stop lying, please.

3 Likes

This isn’t the only game you need to actually look up info for. Most MMOs will pretty much require you to seek outside information to be efficient. For example most boss fight mechanics of other games aren’t explicitly listed anywhere in game. Most won’t tell you what dungeons drop which gear set. If you want to be efficient you’ll need to look for outside info.

3 Likes

This is true, most of the time. But you never need to look stuff up to progress. Or if you do it’s seen as bad game design.

But you need Power to make Titanium Tools, and Power needs Gems, namely to make Titanium you need Workbench coils, which need 100 Diamonds.

So if you only have 2 points in tools, got some Iron, Silver, and Gold tools, you’re goign to see Titanium listed as well, note it takes compact diamond, and go out hunting for diamonds!

Only to not find any. Anywhere. Unless you get super lucky and check the

Two specific worlds Diamonds are found on, AND check the specific location and altitude the spawn at.

But take Copper, Coal, Iron, Fossils, and Ancient Tech for example. They spawn on every level, high and low, on nearly all the planets, I believe I don’t actually know all the intiment details, because like I said, I don’t go out looking for that information, I only know what I mine up in the actual game and some info stated here in the forums.

Anyways, all those resources can be mined pretty much anyone, in any planet lvl 2+ Even Silver, Gold, and Titanium can spawn on any level across the entire planet, just need to find the lvl # planet they are on.

But Gems, except Diamonds I guess, only spawn on specific worlds, in specific locations.

It isn’t a lie. For one thing, that makes that specific Biome an exception, not the rule. But gems, it IS the rule. I remember one of the gems spawning only under lakes. You will ONLY find it under the lakes, not anywhere else.

The other resources DON’T do that, except maybe Ice I’m guessing in the snow biome? I’ve never actually been to a snow biome, I’ve never seen Ice naturally. But say Glaciers. I’ve seen that right in Ash covered Biome, hiding under the Ash, and not in a snow or cold biome at all.

My point being that resources are found, if not in ALL area, in MOST areas, and can logically searched for. You’re going to find iron more on Metal worlds, going to find Coal more on Coal Worlds, plants are better to find in Lush, most plants can be found in most biomes with some exceptions it seems. Peat, Soil, Ash, Sand, and Mud can be found anywhere across a planet.

But Gems are very, VERY specific. you will probably never run across them even by accident. And Gems are a progression in the game. They aren’t Optional high end gear from a dungeon boss, or a boss of an option team dungeon, nor even about being efficient. They are a progression in the game. A form of moving forward. A way of getting power to unlock higher level crafting items.

You know what, you don’t even try to to understand that the rarer the higher the resource tier is is, the harder it’s to get, and more strict are the rules that dictate where does it spawn. For me it’s natural, for you it’s incomprehensible. I feel like you instead of finding what inner rules/mechanics dictates this game, you wan’t it to follow some other game instead. You want to curb most of things that make this game a distinct one from the others of similar genre. Really, you mostly hate the things that you cant find in other games of this type.

Anyway Snow/Ice biomes are not a distinction. I won’t compile a list of what other resources can be find where, and where they can’t be found, you can believe my words or not, but every biome, and height has list of what can and can not spawn there. But the lower the tier of resource is, the more common (in more biomes, etc) the thing is. Gems… are to be rare, because they are High Tier resource. But the thing is, Even with just Iron hammer I can successfully mine tens (maybe lower end of tens) gems on every T5/T6 world per hour. And actually atlas + in game knowledge panel is enough to find good spots. I never bough any gem, and somehow without putting gem in atlas I was able to find every of 6 gems. Some took more time, some take less, but boy! what a grand achievement for me it was when I found the first ones :smiley: And I started bomb minning well after I had at over 100 gems of each type (beside rubies, I don’t like searching for them), and full set of Adv Extractor coils already. And I did it on my own, nobody helped me, I didn’t whine to anybody about how hard the game is either.

5 Likes

All resources spawn in specific biomes. Its just much more noticable for people that spend all of their time gathering.

As for gems, they are suppose to be a top end resource. Since we only have one three fives and sixes, the areas are over taxed by the playerbase. The devs are looking at regen.

There are ways for us as a community to help, like plotting large community mines and using mass regen bombs and locking the entrances for sixish hours when its all mined out. But these forums make it clear a vocal minority would complain that we are after footfall and community control instead of helping people.

2 Likes

I, personally, don’t mind that the gems are on a specific planet, in a specific location.

Again you brush off the point of view I brought up, namely:

Not everyone plays the same way you do, @sztosz. You eventually found them all. Congradulations to you. But what about the others? I’m not the one person that complains about the Gem Wall grind, there are others. But if Gems are so easy to understand, and can just be stumbled uponed like you did, why are so many players complaining? they can just go there, mine it, and be done. It’s in a very specific location, not like say Desert Sword which is everywhere and anywhere, so you have to randomly go to a planet and search around the whole thing to find some to pick up.

Gems are very very specific. So why are so many complaining they can’t find it, or that it’s too hard, or that it’s a massive wall to overcome?

This is true, but as I said, the issue is the very suddenness of it. Especially as a crafting specializing. Take Tools for example.

You’re making some stone tools, eventually get Iron, grind the other stupid materials to make it, and then your going. Going through the worlds, you eventually uncover Silver. So you put a second point into Tools, Maxing it out (as far as you know, only 2 points max after all). And it uncovers Silver and Gold tools. They need Spark tho.

But you look at the resources needed for a Spark gen, it isn’t much, and doing a lot of mining, you’ve found plenty of extra coal to put into it for spark.

Then you look down below Gold and notice there is Titanium. Now that looks fancy. Only it needs Compact Diamonds to, and you notice a new resource. Power.

You have no idea what power is, where to get it, or how to farm or make it. Eventually you put points into Machine Making enough to notice you need Coils to generate power, 5 of them, for the minimum 500 power, and also notice it needs Diamonds for the Workbench coils.

Only, where do you find Diamonds? You’ve stumbled across every other underground resource just by wandering around randomly in a higher level planet, digging for 10 or do blocks, and just mining around randomly. So you go to the next tiered world, and pick a place at random and dig down 10 blocks like everywhere else and start mining. You find the other resources like normal, but no diamonds.

So you keep looking, but find nothing. So you leave, go to a different spot, and find nothing again after a few hours of mining. So you try a new planet, dig town 10 blocks, and find a Gem! only it’s Topaz, not Diamonds. Something to keep, but not what you actually need to progress. Still not finding any diamonds, you try the next planet, and the next, till you’ve been to all the high end planets, and been mining 12+ hours, and STILL finding nothing.

What are you doing wrong? What is different? You found Topaz, once, but you can’t find Diamonds, or any other Gems. this makes no sense to you. No other resource was this hard or frustrating to find, and you’ve broken many hammers trying to find it and no rewards. Luckily you minded up resources to remake the tools, but still, nothing had changed. You just wasted 12+ hours for nothing.

^ At this point, you’re going to be mad, and by this point, most people are going to be going to the forums to rant about the issue they’ve suddenly run into. they were able to easily progress up this point at their own pace, not needing to do much more than pop to the next world and mine for a few hours to get enough resources to progress. But now they’ve been to everywhere, mined for many hours, and only a few topazes for their trouble.

Do you all see the issue yet?

who are all those ppl you talking about?
i mostly see you and 2 others talking about that issue, hijacking alot threads with the grindcry.

i just bought my first 2 forged diamond hammers and made ~400 raw emeralds in my first run using them (and 2 unforged titan hammers)

for me this was ok, but maybe its because i just skipped the diamond mining, (because all i wanted was advanced mixer coils).

5 Likes

What you see as an issue, I enjoy. I personally love that everything in the game isn’t spoon fed to me. I love being able to learn something new through discovery. To figure something out like a puzzle. Its something that isn’t common in today’s gaming environment. Luckily for everyone else, this isn’t a single player game. There are those of us who have figured nearly everything out and spend time giving knowledge back to those in the community who ask for it. I think this makes the community closer, but I only have my own experiences to draw from.

However, for those who don’t want to talk to others, the Developers are already working towards “fixing” the knowledge issue you are talking about by putting in and refining a knowledge tab and the resource tab under each world. They are working on the feat system.

So in the highly unlikely situation that a person has never run across another player and ask for information before they spend 12 hours doing something that is currently considered end game, they will at least be able to make an informed decision on where to mine.

5 Likes

It’s not easy but it’s doable for sure. I’ve done it with no help. Iron hammers and stone chisels. All you need is 80 diamonds for a compact diamond bulk craft. That will make you 5 power coils. 500 power to make titanium tools. If you’re lucky thats 10 vein finds (assuming you get 4 diamond blocks side by side, each dropping 2 diamonds each. 10 vein finds, it could take 2 hours, 2 days, or two weeks.

Does the progression make sense. NO, i agree with you there. I want this game to be a bit more approachable for new people and at first that gem wall can seem like a lot. But it’s what it is. You either do it or wait and hope they change it. They may never change it. I’m not trying to come at you sideways but at some point you gotta just suck it up and handle yo business.

2 Likes

Lots of people. I mostly stopped playing after 100 hours of gem grinding with only enough success to make titanium tools and some other random coils.

Most of my mining was on besevrona… I didnt find out about diamond locations until i found one in a meteor and realized none were on that planet.

Tunnel infested areas is all i found on Serp… i think it took me 16 hours to find diamonds enough for coils to make titanium. My tools broke waaaaaaaay too fast.

The takeaway is NOT the grind on this post. It is the lack of a straight line progression forcing users to gather to buy uber hammers to compensate for poor resource distribution and poor regeneration and poor distribution of critical resources.

1 Like

All the information is out there. All the solutions are out there. Use it to get further along in the game or don’t and struggle unnecessarily.

Sometimes there’s just one good way to do something and that’s something that should probably change.

There’s a little responsibility on the player’s end to figure out how to gain the game knowledge needed to get things done. It’s not hard to figure things out in this game. It never has been.

Even though I don’t bring in 800+ gems an hour like I did during Beta with bomb mining, doesn’t mean the 50-80 I do get an hour now doesn’t make it worth it. I just need to find new hot spots. Plus, I don’t mine on Serp at depth of 16-20 for Diamonds anyways, I am looking for ore, coal, fossils, techs, and everything else. Getting diamonds is just an added benefit.

The thing is there are people out there who are willing to share information if you just politely ask. It isn’t like there’s some information wall that only certain people can get through and laugh at everyone else.

2 Likes

With this I agree, it’s strange, that you need next tier material to make previous tier tools. Awkward.

You were saying I brush off your point. Maybe I didn’t understand it.

Only basic coal is easily available, only basic fossils, and only tech remnants. Rest of those are scarcer the higher tier. But still gems are the highest tier material, it makes complete sense for them to be scarce. And info where to find is in-game. Screens below

I’m not saying there is no wall… well… it’s not a wall, it’s a hill, and not even that big. If I could ride it down, instead of putting an effort to climb… i’d really would not enjoy the game. And I am not the only one. You don’t make effort to look from the side of people that find this game a walk in park (which for many of us is), why would I make effort to look at the game from your position then? Especially that those who have tons of every material, even gems, can prove the game is easy by showing you what can be accomplished in such a short time. While you can’t prove so far that game indeed is hard, because if it would be, there would be much less people that have easy access to gems, players, who use decorative gem blocks, because they don’t need it for anything else.

Because IMHO those are players who were raised, i talk strictly about games, please don’t take it as reflection about anything else, players raised by games who give stuff easily, who think that many of the easy games are hard, just because they are harder than those easy ones. Players who were raised on unlimited saves, and granted rewards and progress. Players who think that permanent death in games without any save is the hardest hardcore, and not a norm. Players who who had internet to look up what can be done.

And then are other players, those who didn’t have no internet, no manual even, who had to find how to do things in games just by playing without even clues. Players whose games hadn’t even have patches, whose games were buggy, and bugs had to be worked around, because there were no one to fix them.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes