Give us an option to choose the range and number of planets to render in the sky

This isn’t a hugely important suggest, so maybe just one to think about in the future that would be nice.

I noticed that the current system for deciding what planets get to render as actual planets in the sky is kind of random. On Sochaltin I, you can look up into the sky and see Arie 1 blinksec away and Finata 4 blinksecs away. Meanwhile, Refgar is 2 blinksecs away and is only shown as a star for some reason. I remember going to another planet recently where this world had 4 planets orbitting it despite them all being 12-24 blinksecs away, yet appearing the same size as planets 2-4 blinksecs away.

Of course, there would need to be an option for players that wouldn’t want the lag that could come with this, so maybe this is only how the game functions when you turn up the planet render distance and number to max, with it being down to a limit of 3-4 planets and a range of ~12 blinksecs by default.

Also even with settings turned up, planets would of course be less detailed the further they are, the same way mountains in the distance start to merge blocks, with planets within 12 blinksecs being more detailed, 12-24 being a fourth of the detail, 24-50 being a fourth of the detail again, and past that just being colored glowing spheres/stars

Of course, none of these numbers would likely be the actual numbers used, just an oversimplification as an example of what they could possibly do to make it work. And of course, this idea might not even work due to how they plan to make the universe work. Just throwing the idea out their to see if other players or the devs like the idea. Just a dream I had early game where I stared up at the sky every night thinking about how beautiful it would look. But of course, things could look better or worse in actual practice and honestly this probably wouldn’t be worth the effort.

4 Likes