Gleam lighting

Eek hope not, guess there’s space on the chisel or spanner under “lightness” lol. My dream is that they bring back ye olde light cube as a luminosity determination interface thingy or somesuch!

Or, you know, venerable forging on a stick where if you over-forge it you either get all your lights go out or permanent god rays all over the place. /s

4 Likes

The beacon/plot option would be cool with me as well, I just didn’t think it was ever considered by the devs, that’s why I didn’t mention it in my original post.

iNiCMZhjYeSvtYnqyl

2 Likes

oh your bad…just bad…:joy::rofl:

1 Like

Now this right here is an amazing idea! They already have the asset, so it’s just as viable an option as a forged tool.

3 Likes

Typically the path of least resistance is the easiest way to go so a simple Beacon control sounds best. I think it would be a good option. However if there’s a second option of using a chisel or spanner for the micromanaging enthusiasts I see no problems with that except in coding which I am not an expert. I have no problem with people that like to micromanage in their builds but see no reason to force people to do it either.

2 Likes

I agree with a simple approach and using least resistance as the option. But, none of us have proof on what way is the “simplest” approach – so we shouldn’t assume a beacon method is it.

We do really need something.lighting has some awesome things about it. But it just feels always dark. Even feels like its night time all the time. Days seem shorter than night and the color for me seems to of disappeared . It be nice to be able to adjust lighting to suite peoples imagination

A beacon option is just “extra work”, either way the lighting strength has to be encoded into the block-data itself as we cannot access or lookup beacons and their data during the meshing of the world, so it cant just live on the beacon. A beacon option would just mean the server having to iterate the entire beacon looking for any light blocks to change them to brighter ones etc (so would easily cause a huge lag spike too and would have to be split up over time, and then there would be weirdness if the server shutdown/crashed in that period with the beacon being half updated and half not, so extra work to make sure its robust too…)

2 Likes

Well that’s an unfortunate answer. Guess I know I’m finally done with this game.

And another domino falls. Not joking either I just lost a good friend permanently in the game.

I like the lighting, but I’m in the minority it looks like. I think it gives purpose to torches, and lanterns.

Glow epic is nice too. But that’s 5 pts

Lanterns aren’t bright enough either. Lanterns were used in my place before lighting changes happened and nothing was dark. Everything was nice and bright. Now it’s all dim and has shadows all over. I’d have to add twice as many to get rid of shadows but it would still be dim. And I tried white gleam lanterns and it just Whites washes it out. Doesn’t actually brighten anything

1 Like

I do like the lighting don’t get me wrong. I have voiced that. Though people have also asked if the shader for darkness could have a wider range also @FireAngelDth being one and there were many others. People as well have issues with the game lighting that have medical issues and can not see the game now I think it was said to be night blindness…not sure though. Extending the shader may fix this issue for people.

4 Likes

Any info about the possibility of chisels/spanner forged for lighting changing finally making their way to game?

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. Is that like a gamma bar that you see in some games?

Or something else

One person I haven’t see post in a while that had issues with the lighting because of night blindness was I believe @Janna55

Also I hope she’s doing well.

2 Likes

I believe so or similar. They put a darkness modifier though it needs to be a broader range from my understand. I just don’t want to see people lose the love they have for this game. If I lost this game, well it would be pretty devastating to me. It’s my outlet.

Yeah, totally understandable. I’m sure they will get something in, just gotta give them time I think.

Hunting in the dark is sometimes difficult for me. I try my best to stick as close to the meteorite as possible for lighting. The diamond torch used to be my friend in the dark and now I need to use lamps because I find the torch lighting harsh. I kind of just had to adapt my gameplay after the lighting changes. But hunting with a lamp in one hand is not advisable.
I sympathize with your frustrations.

1 Like