Gonna do a little Rant here

The most basic beacon fuel in the game has 4 weeks, the longest a whopping 15 weeks, and then there’s gleam club… If you manage to lose your build because your beacon fuel ran out, you already left the game anyway. You may not be returning if you have to rebuild, but that’s a whole different topic.

The sensible thing to implement, in my opinion, would be to allow players to transfer beacons, just like devs can do. This way you can at least give your hard work to someone still playing…

edit: The hard truth is, that if you want your builds to be waiting for you forever, Boundless, or any Sandbox MMO, is just not the game for you. There’s alternatives for that. The prospect of losing everything was always a huge turn off about Boundless for me (in the past), but it’s just the way it is and you have got to accept that, or play a sandbox you have full control over. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I lost my work of over 200000 hand-placed blocks and stuff, because I was burning out and needed a break.
Miscalculated 16 weeks beacon timers, because 16 weeks isn’t necessarily 4 months. That lost me something I’d been casually working on for years, and hurt quite a bit.

I hadn’t left, but was more waiting a little for an update on the status of the game (updates, etc) or the mood to build a bit more returned to me.

Hurts quite hard, I’ll be honest. And no, I can’t afford to keep gleam club active, since I’ve got real life things that need to be paid for.
Sadly, I’m not able to work due to disabilities, so I rely on government handouts for income.

3 Likes

Ah but you know, like Grim said, you just picked the wrong game to play, right?
It’s like all of those who prefer to play outside of a guild, and those who are in the military and can be deployed at any point in time, Boundless is working as it should, but it’s just not a game for these people.
Who cares about other people’s builds, right? It’s like that guy who once told me something to the effect of “as soon as I’m allowed to, I’ll take your build appart for all the valuables it has”.

2 Likes

It’s not so much I wanted to play solo, but more the friends I brought into the game, slowly stopped playing it one by one after a few weeks or months. In the end, I was as by myself, as I started out. :’)

The pain is loneliness, because the game is a lot less fun, if you’re working alone, and not with friends.
At least, that’s how I feel about it.

Really wish there’d been a better alternative for me, or a system where the game emails you to say “Your home beacon [name] only got 7 days of fuel left!” which would have solved my grievance instantly, as I’d have known I was off on the timing.

2 Likes

RIGHT?
But no, because then, people will say “WAIT, you’re suggesting something that would be baseline, by default, for all players?! I don’t wanna get emails from the game! BAD suggestion!” or people who are, again, saying “nah, the system works fine, you’re just playing the wrong game, you’re the one who has to change!”
I’ve had comments like that in so many suggestions.

There’s so many ways to make this system a lot more player-friendly.
Like, take this :

Anyway, at this point, I’m not making suggestions anymore, because I’m now convinced development of the game won’t resume ever.

1 Like

I hate to agree, but considering we haven’t heard anything of the contrary… I… Uh, yeah. A little bit pessimistic, I know, but I’ve been burnt by optimism far too much in just the last few years.

Yeah, sorry.
Look, I’m ready to bet money on this with anyone who wants to. Say, 50€, that James is not coming back for more than the hypothetical release of update 249, which in of itself won’t save the game.
I’ll GLADLY pay if I’m wrong, and I’ll also gladly spend money in the Gleam Club if he does.

2 Likes

The point is if you burn out, and don’t find the game fun anymore it has already failed you. The beacon fuel is not the problem here. If you have fun an login often enough, refueling just isn’t going to be a problem that needs solving.

I like how you are always putting words into peoples mouth @Goblinounours. My point was simply that people left because of a lot of other issues Boundless has, and them losing their builds is a symptom of leaving rather than a cause to leave. In no way did I imply that boundless is working as it should and doesn’t need fixing.

It boggles my mind that the reclaim system wasn’t there from day one and people could steal other people’s stuff. Also, I’m one who actively checks the guild book to fuel beacons of people “taking a break”…

@Ocfos I feel for you, but you have had 15+ weeks to login once to check / refuel your build you cared about so much. That’s a lot of time and frankly it’s your own fault for missing the deadline. Sure the devs could implement an email system, another thing that is a no brainer, if you ask me, but there will always be something that isn’t covered and you just can’t cover all the edge cases.

With the current state of the game it is hard not to lose sight of what Boundless was intended to be, and if it would have the population it was targeted at, some of the systems would make a lot more sense. Boundless just isn’t a single player sandbox where you can come back after years and continue. There is no way endless fuel for beacons would be sustainable if there were a lot of players (and with that a lot of potential idlers and dead builds). There has to be a cut-off at some point and while I’d prefer for my stuff to be around forever as well, I find the existing beacon fuel quite fair…

1 Like

I burnt out because I went too hard on the game, and didn’t grow bored with it. The issue was that it grew exhausting, and I needed a break to refresh myself by doing something else. This isn’t unusual, as I know quite a few who has the same issue in various degrees.
I can still have fun with a game, but be burnt out on it.

Well, thank you for blaming that on something I cannot control. I suffer Autism, ADD, stress, anxiety, and depression. Quite a mouthful when combined, leaving me often overwhelmed by simply being awake.
This is the reason I cannot work, as my energy is incredibly unreliable, and on some days leave me sleeping from dusk to dusk.
I, as most people with ADD, also get sidetracked a lot. Going out to assume that it’s my own problem for missing it, is rather rude.
You don’t know what battles people face every day, and by the sound of it, you’ve never tried this type of battle yourself.

Sure, I’ve got all the time in the world, as I cannot work. But if I can’t actually put that time to use, how much fun do you think it is to deal with? Yeah, it really isn’t fun at all. You grow to feel a burden to everyone else, and there is nothing you can do to fix it, because there is no medication nor therapy that can solve it.
This is my every day, so I’m sorry if I can’t exactly put focus aside to check up on a timer every few weeks, and assume that it’d be there when I returned.

Easy enough to tell what kind of people still stick around here, and maybe it’s just for the better if I bloody dropped it the way the devs have.

5 Likes

Sorry, but you do know that I had no idea of anything you just mentioned, right? I do not know you personally. And while I really feel for you and I wish you didn’t have these problems, please don’t claim you know me and imply I’m a bad person because I didn’t know what personal struggle resulted in you losing your build.

1 Like

You didn’t know, neither did I, but you still made the decision to say the equivalent of stuff like “Maybe the game is not for you” and “It’s your own fault if you lost your build”. That is straight-up not something you should say to anyone. I may have exagerated and extrapolated your words (even if it’s exactly the sort of rhetoric used by some people around here), but it didn’t stop you from doubling-down on what you said too when you had the chance to realize it was wrong.

It’s insane to think that it’s people like you who get on my case because I’m supposedly the most toxic part of this community, and then you say stuff like that, and even add “don’t imply that I’m a bad person”.

1 Like

We all collectively lose all of our work, and all the hours we put into the game, if they turn off the servers tomorrow. And there’s nothing we can do about it. If that’s not something you can live with, or are prepared to deal with, then this game is not for you. That’s all I’m saying.

There will always be something that makes someone lose their build. That’s just the harsh reality of an mmo sandbox you don’t have control over. No matter what they change or add. That’s really all I’m saying.

No idea how that can be constructed as “I personally don’t care about your build”, but that’s on you guys :wink:

Which makes it ok to say stuff like “If you stop playing for 15 weeks, you’ve left the game and it’s ok for your build to die”, "Maybe the game is not for you” or “It’s your own fault if you lost your build”, right?
Right.

But please, do go on about how I’m wrong.

Yes. Like I just covered, it’s not what you actually said. It’s exagerated, extrapolated. Some of what I said may not be what you meant right now, but it’s still something I have personally been told by those who pretend to be the healthy part of the community, the part that has a right to voice its opinion as much as they like, while the other part should speak up once and then just shut up and deal with it as to not disturb your fun.

I wish I had known. I would have gladly stopped by your build and refilled your beacon every 15 weeks.

5 Likes

I have Bipolar disorder, so I know about getting distracted. Being Manic sucks…

3 Likes

Sorry man, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I have literally said the same thing in all my posts. I was just trying to clear the confusion :man_shrugging:

And I stand by what I’ve said :wink:

Well then, I welcome you within the toxic part of the community. There are garbage bags for you to sit on, you’ll see, it’s very comfy. :grinning:

2 Likes

@majorvex could you close this. Rant is done and it’s getting deep in here…

3 Likes

Closed at the request of the OP.