I’m doing some pre-planning for an idea for a grapple school, and I wanted to collect grappling tips and tricks from the community!
I’ll list the tips and tricks I know of, but please let me know of anything I’m missing. @DJDancecraft, you are supposed to be the best grappler, so I’d especially love to get any tips you have!
Oh, and I don’t know what the controls are on PlayStation, so please help with that as well.
- Reel in to go up (R)
- Reel out to go down (F)
- Use WASD or left stick to lean or swing while grappled
- Basic Maneuvers
- When grappling onto a wall or cliff, grapple the side of the top block and reel all the way in. When you get to the top, hold forward and press jump to jump up onto the ledge
- When travelling along a canyon, or between trees, you can hold left or right lean to stay away from the wall longer, letting you swing farther without hitting the wall
- If you realize you have missed your shot, press the fire button again to immediately recall your grapple.
- You are immune to fall damage when your grapple is attached to a block, if you are falling from a height that may cause fall damage, you can grapple the ground to avoid all fall damage
- If you grapple into a monster body with your lootstick out, you are still going to take damage.
- Intermediate Maneuvers
- When grappling up a cliff, hold back to lean out away from the wall. This will help you avoid getting stuck on overhangs
- While it is tempting to grapple a tree near the edge of a cliff, if the tree is too far back from the edge, it will change the angle of your reel-in, making it much more likely to get stuck on an overhang - it is usually best to only grapple something at the very edge of the cliff
- Holding a lean into the direction you are swinging, reeling in, and falling down all increase the speed of your swing.
- Advanced Maneuvers
- The best place to release your grapple during a fast swing is just as you start to come up from your lowest point - this will fling you up and forward, giving you time to find another swing point or time to target the ground for a safe landing (or to smack your face into a tree at maximum velocity).
- If there is a tall tree a bit back from a cliff you are trying to get past, you can use it as long as your reel-in and swing will keep you above the cliff face.