GUI: HUD and in-game GUI

I am sure. It won’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Am i right that it says its raining?

I´m quite surprised by that. Everything in Boundless seems to promote socializing and then the most basic feature for social-playing is missing.

Not selling colours, selling the abbility to change the colour post-creation :wink:

Certainly not on its own but together with services like race-change, name-change, appearance-change, additional character slots and a guild-name-change in addition to the rented worlds…
At the very least it would be a good addition.

2 Likes

You forgot that guilds are supposed to allow for group play. They’re not these massive timeless entities like we’re used to. I mean, some will be. But others will be a few friends who play together.

:heart_eyes: Hooray! Another GUI post!

All of this is looking really good, but I’m not sure I understand how items will be equipped without a hotbar…Nonetheless, I really like the look of the compass, loot history and chat, and the 3D planes make it look even better.

maybe there is own section to equitable items in the menu/inventory?

Could be, but after all this is just a mock-up. Still, I would just find it weird not to have a hotbar in which you can instantly switch between your tools and such.

I prefer minimal GUI until needed, so would there be possibility for a hotkey to show the compass and waypoints (like a pulse) temporarily and then fade out again (In a similar way to the current hotbar).

Acidalia Planitia! That’s a very nice find, But Watney was first.
Did you per chance find his rover?

By the way: Those perspective planes are extremely smart. Makes GUI incredibly immersive.

1 Like

yeah, it certainly would be different from the original hotbar and would need some time to get used to but nonetheless, works exactly the same as used to. only down side is that you have to memorize the order of your items what comes next in the inventory’s hotbar when you scroll your middle mouse button to change to next item.

I’ve updated the post to reflect the new weapon switching toolbar

3 Likes

This looks like a really good solution for controllers but how do you use that with the keyboard and mouse(wheel)?

1 Like

I really hope, i can switch of the display of the gains or that i will disappear fast. It’s hiding the nice hammer / weapon too much…

The steep chat in combination with steep gains is better then the “flat” text boxes.

This… a lot. It’s one of my biggest gripes with games that are cross platform. I totally accept that they have to be designed in such a way as to be intuitive for controller use, but far too often the resulting UI just doesn’t have enough (and in some cases, any) though into how it will be used by a mouse and keyboard player. I don’t think I would have played Skyrim for half as long as I did without the SkyUI mod that someone made to make inventory management… well, not horrible.

In an ideal world, this would be the perfect opportunity to be forward thinking and provide different UI elements based on the choice of controls. Obviously that’s a lot of work and probably not practical, but I can’t state emphatically enough how important of an issue I think it is to have controls that make sense for each different control type.

2 Likes

Hold. Your. Horses.

This is designed to function just as well on PC as it is on console. Mousewheel changing is still available, as is number keys (so what we have now). In addition you’ll be able to use the radial selection optionally and only if you want to.

Whether it’s a circle of icons (here) or a line (as it used to be), the functionality can still be maintained.

5 Likes

But it isn’t really nice for pc players because of the hoping while scrolling through the tools/blocks.
It’s one thing to have it cycle through one hotbar or one circle.
But cycling through one circle then jumping to the other one and cycling there is very annoying.

Like I said it’s a very good solution for controllers but in my opinion only playable for keyboard and mouse.

But as always, please proof me wrong with the ingame experience^^

edit. I just noticed that a normal hotbar wouldn’t really help either because of the dualwielding…
Honestly I have to think about that a little bit longer^^

edit2. how do you choose which hand to scroll through as a mouse player?

edit3: the more I think about it the more problems I see >.< I mean for controller dual wielding is easy because each RL hand has a button/stick to use what you have ingame in hand and to change what you have in hand.
But not really with keyboard and mouse…
How do you plan for players to use either hand?

edit4: After a bit of brainstorming I’ve got a solution. Maybe the same as you came up with?
Use ctrl (or another key) to toggle whether you scroll for the left or right hand. (Most likely pressing down ctrl is left hand scrolling for right handed people and vice versa for left handed people.)
And the Mouse keys are for using either hand.
This way it’s also not a problem that you have to jump from left to right with your eyes. It actually helps differentiate.

The only problem is how do you handle items which have 2 functions. For example a block which you can place or break other blocks with it.
Another toggle maybe, or make it so everything has only one action it can perform.

And sorry that this thread got so off-topic >_<

@KuroKuma Yeah, it’s a lot more complicated than it seems at first. I feel that what we’ve come up with is a great experience for all platforms, and we’re not locking anyone into a single way of changing (and we’ll be providing options and remapping).

1 Like

Indeed it is^^
But do you want to share what you’ve come up with or does it need some polish before you can present it?

One idea that i directly had was for keyboard:

If you walk with w, a, s, d.
you could press q + mouse wheel for left hand
and press e + mouse wheel for right hand

of course you could change the hotkey

2 Likes