GUI: Map and Locations

Woah! I have no idea how this will work in terms of saving locations and stuff, but this looks like a REALLY cool idea in terms of maps, especially the “side-view” wireframe look and the waypoint pathfinding. I’ve added this to the collection under Map Concepts 1 & 2.

Although this does seem a cool idea, however, is the plan for pathfinding in the UI meant to be unobtrusive? Meaning you don’t spend all the game looking at your waypoint, and rather looking at the actual game? I really hate it when games don’t do this.

3 Likes

The shwoop is probably the most important part!

4 Likes

I know these are only placeholder designs for layout etc and the content is not necessarily what will appear in game, but I’m concerned about what you have for warps - namely, by the looks of it, you are able to warp to other worlds.

If that is so, I’m quite against that concept, as it will make Portals a one use kind of thing. Why would people bother using a portal when they can simply set a waypoint and warp everywhere (unless you’re limited on the number of waypoints you can have and the cost involved in warping is much higher than using a portal).

For me, I think warping should only be available around the world you are currently on, not between worlds. Portals, being a fixed emplacement, give the feeling of being higher powered, hence being able to transport matter between worlds, whereas warps, being a seemingly handheld device, would be less powerful I think.

I know I’m jumping the gun on how this all works, so I can’t put any of this into context really - take it as more my thoughts and ideas than critique.

The only other concern I have with warps is better explained in the following scenario…

• Player A has set a waypoint, and warps to it quite often…
  • Player B finds a nice area and decides to beacon it… not knowing that this is a waypoint for another player. They build a house and beacon it. They lock all the doors on their house.
  • Player A warps to the waypoint once again, only to find themselves in a locked house where they can’t break any blocks or open any doors. They don’t have enough resources to warp again. They’re effectively trapped… Rage quit …
5 Likes

I think there may be some misinterpretation going on here. The locations are organized by “current world” and “other worlds”. It’s reasonable to assume that this gui menu is meant to show us our way points on all worlds, but only allows warping to waypoints under the “current world” category.

As for your second concern, I believe this was once directly addressed by a dev back when they first announced the portal and warp systems. As I recall, Portals and warps stay open for a short period, allowing players to step through, appraise their surroundings, and if necessary, retreat.

1 Like

I never assume anything ^^ - which is why I asked and put my thoughts to the forums - only way to know something is to ask the question :wink: I hope this is the case of just warping around your current world though.

Good to know it’s already been thought of! I spend more than a little time testing colleagues code and processes, so I’m just thinking up scenarios in which things could get broken or the player could just stuck.

3 Likes

I realize a lot of the details from this post may no longer be valid (such as “world tiers”) but assuming the basic functions are the same, it looks like warps will remain open 60 seconds

Again, that thread is 1 year old now.

4 Likes