Guild Idea(Guild Hall, Roles, and Money)

You’re forgetting about warp crystals :wink:
I guess you could work around this by making your personal planet accessible from your locations or sanctum so you can always get to it. There could be a second option to choose whether people can warp to your planet or not?

3 Likes

True. As far as I am aware, rented worlds (those connected to the main universe) will be visible in the sky just like the other planets, so they’ll still be accessible to other players.

3 Likes

That’s something that I need more clarification on. If, as @Stretchious says, rented worlds are visible in the sky as planets, and not just as pin picks of light from the sanctum, then yes, warp crystals totally negate this strategy. If however, as I hypothesize, rented worlds are instead represented as light spots from the sanctum, and do not float in the skies of other public worlds, then warp crystals would not be able to reach such a world.

I base this hypothesis entirely on the question: “where do you even situate a rented world in the public universe?” If you attach it to a public world’s system, and then discontinued renting that world, would it vanish from the public view? And, wouldn’t that take the place of other worlds in the solar systems natural progression of planets?

My hypothetical solution to accessing a rented world involves having a portal in a player’s own plot both fueled by the monthly payments of a rented world, situated on a public planet. One would then simply access this remote rented world via portal.

3 Likes

I am all for supporting this game by any means as long it does not take away from the overall experience. Monopolising resources through that of a simple credit card swipe and not hard work is p2w. The lines between what is pay to win and what is not pay to win have been blurred over many different genres and through many different methods however if you pay to get any sort of an advantage no matter how small that makes it a pay to win feature. Rented planets are not p2w i did not say that, what i said was restricting who visits / gathers from that planet does lead to p2w behaviour however as @Jeffrotheswell and @Stretchious this is not the case, which I am over joyed about. Again I am all for supporting this game and if I have the time I would gladly rent a planet in the future. This is not a witch hunt to those planning to rent planets at all and this whole conversation spurred from the @CryBloodwing suggesting dividing the community with private islands and instances when we should be promoting more social interactions even between competing factions. :slight_smile: Please take no offence all said with love for this game and it’s community :smile:

3 Likes

I like the idea of maybe having a permanent, cost-free portal to your rented world in sanctum.
Then you can allow public access by manually building portals from your planet to others in the game. You could then use the wall/lock system to limit the places other people can access, and give your guild members the permissions they need to access the rest of the planet :slight_smile:. Alternatively just make it open to everyone!

The only problem I can think of having rented worlds outside the main system is calculating warp costs. How much do you charge to warp there from other planets? How big do portals have to be?

It could be, possibly, that rented worlds would only be available as the same tier as starter worlds, and if so, I would assume that they would be the same as starter world costs for warping.

This is, of course, only an assumption on my part, but in my opinion it would be the best solution so that you’re not monopolizing any rare resources (such as gems) that can only be found on a select few other planets. It would keep if fair that way and less real-money advantage over standard players.

6 Likes

No offense taken at all, I am always open to civil debate!

3 Likes

That seems like a really good solution!
A lot of people seem more interested in renting a world for the building space rather than the resources, so this would keep most people happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This will not sound like it is on topic, but give me a minute!

Currently I have a build in Krackendown. The people who started it asked me to try and keep all the trees around it as they wanted to have a very green environment. That worked pretty well, I built around or incorporated the trees within my plots and it does look nice. As more people have come to build there, they have not always been told before they started to try and save the trees. As a result, there are a lot of leaves floating in midair and trees with the lower part of the trunk missing. We also have area adjacent to the town where they have strip mined the ground for soils and other resources. Since it is in a well traveled area, the regen never puts the missing items back. Now a space that looked nice, looks kind of wonky with missing tree trunks, floating leaf canopies and large holes in the ground. I do not think this was done intentionally, the players were new and probably did not understand how regen works and also may not have been told how the founders wanted the town to look. I did end up placing timber back in a tree adjacent to my plot so it did not look like some one took a bite out of it.

The advantage to a private world on a rented server would be that we can prevent people from coming in without being given the guidelines on how we want resources near a town handled (keep it natural, go x distance to do any mining or gathering). If you cannot prevent people from harvesting near your builds on a private world then you do give up a certain amount of control in how your town or monument may look. I think you should not only be able to limit someone from placing beacons but also harvesting resources.

I do agree that any planet that can be accessed from the public servers must follow the same rules as far as resource placement. I do not agree that the type of rented/private planet should be a starter world. As long as the planet follows the guidelines for public planets that are the same tier, what is the harm? There are no more resources available than on the public servers and a higher tier planet may offer biomes and building opportunities that are not available on a starter planet.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m more referring to the distribution of resources though, so % of copper/iron/silver/gold/titanium etc. distribution on those worlds (no gleam/no gems/no other special resources). For placement of the world within the universe, that’s where the “stater” level comes in. I think that would also need to apply to creature level as well, especially if public world players can be prevented from placing beacons/portals, providing easy access to hunting grounds. Those are the things, in my opinion, which would prevent people thinking this is a pay-to-win scenario.

With regards to biome colours, types, styles etc, I’d say that those things should definitely be configurable by the person renting the world.

2 Likes

The exact configuration of paid worlds is still to be finalised. But I wanted to quickly comment on the most common requests we’ve received:

1. Mega builds: Individuals or clans who want to control the creation and theming of a world and also who can place beacons within the world. They want to design and town-plan a large build and don’t want other players getting in the way. (This has been discussed in the past in reference to reserving plots for expansion, etc). They want players to visit, trade, explore, but not building.

For this case the owner would:

• Set Beacon Placement to a Whitelist.
    • Set Visiting to Everyone.
  2. Protected worlds: Families who play in a group with their kids have regularly requested a safe environment for their family to play in. They don’t want their kids interacting with other players unless they’re supervised. They want to be able to go on trips on to the public worlds to explore, hunt, gather and trade. But they don’t want other people coming back to their home world.

For this case the owner world:

• Set Beacon Placement to a Whitelist.
    • Set Visiting to a Whitelist.

There may be other styles of play - but these are the most commonly requested. Either way - if you can visit the world then you can gather resources on the world.

Anyone interested in something different?

8 Likes

this is a must for me. otherwise who wants to pay for a starter planet. yuck!
I want berry much to pay for a high level planet with lots of nasty monsters, toxic air, and good rescorces. i want the challenge of trying to survive and thrive in such a place.
maybe if you choose a starter planet you get to have lots of power over everything people can do there or even if they have access to it but as the planets level goes up the less power you the renter have over those things.
so on my tir 5 world the only restriction i could make would be to require permission to place a beacon. people could travel and harvest there as they wish.

1 Like

aperantly i am captain crunch :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Awesome perhaps in regards to worlds with parental controls, instead of visitors being blocked maybe just beacons, building and talking should be decided by a white list just a suggestion :slight_smile: As for planets themselves I agree with @Stretchious players should be able to choose the theme / colour scheme to make a more personal experience.

1 Like

In your two configurations, the Mega Build does not really protect a town from someone getting in the way or affecting how a town looks. Based on my comments earlier, in a well traveled location, if someone strip mines an area or cuts down trees adjacent to your plots, then they do affect what you can do since the area will not regen. Under the current definition of Visiting Everyone, If you want to preserve a grove of trees you not only have to use plots for the base but also all the way to the top, or as has happened in Krackendown, someone can remove any part of the tree not inside a plot. Since there is a hub and a great market (a shameless plug for @Unagi4me), there is never a large enough gap of time for regeneration and we are left with strip mining and partial trees. If the person renting the world has unlimited plots in the world then this is addressed, but I am not sure that is the best solution. I would like to be able to allow visitors and not restrict the entire planet from resource gathering, but maybe have a way to restrict resource gathering in a large area without using up all my plots.

Suggestions
1 - Renter can place super beacons that will cover a larger area and allow the mega builds. By larger I mean maybe 10x10x10 or 20x20x20 current plots.
2 - Renter has a third toggle to set resource gathering for whitelist or everyone.

1 Like

I agree with you. Rented planet where you can move to the public planets should match the guidelines for resource and hazards (environmental and animal) as the public worlds.

2 Likes

Yeah, like that but the person can name the roles whatever they want and the permissions.

1 Like

They would be free to allow visitors if they wish.

1 Like

So would it be like a “pay per month” to keep your planet? Or a “pay once?”

And I think there should be one protected world for each server. No cost to play on this.

1 Like

i think it should be a pay once, as i feel that a pay a month system just doesn’t feel right in games as people usually don’t want to waste money on something like a game and that would be more of a subscription, and pay to win setup for private worlds

1 Like