Guild Idea(Guild Hall, Roles, and Money)

In the case of renting a server to play on, monthly costs will require monthly expenses. A single payment would lose money over time, it’s simply not feasible.

3 Likes

Renting generally denotes a continuous payment… much like renting any other type of server. To be honest, I don’t think a pay once option would even be an option, as the servers themselves would need to be rented from Amazon (or wherever, if they choose to change before launch).

I think you’d be quite surprised at the number of people that are looking to rent a private world (and by renting, I mean monthly fee), be it for guilds, family & friends or even sub-servers for content creators.

I honestly don’t think this will be the case, as long as private servers can still be readily accessed by non-renting players and they have no more resources to gain than that of general public worlds.

@Havok40k - you beat me to it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Only because I made my reply short and simple! Your reply is much more in depth.

3 Likes

As a side note, I think that the monthly payment will be much better for Boundless in the long term.

For any game to develop and grow, it needs enough income to have some to put back into game development. Given how fickle gamers are nowadays, an up front-pay once fee doesn’t garner enough from something like Boundless’ continuing needs. Common practices in the gaming industry at present are:

• Pay monthly subscriptions to access any content at all
  • Free to pay, but with heavy enough restrictions that it’s not fun to play at all without paying a regular fee.
  • Micro transactions, possibly with RNG loot to make them even less fun.

Charging people who like the game enough to pay for a server (that has it’s own costs associated anyway) is a good way to make a baseline income, so the rest of the game needs to focus less on how it can be monetised and in turn makes a better experience for everyone.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a guess as to how much it would cost? I don’t know much about renting servers in general but I’m definitely interested in having a planet to build on :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s still yet to be decided, as well as player load per world, which will be better judged when it comes closer to release I think.

3 Likes

What do you mean by a protected world? one with no threats or hazards? Just curious.

1 Like

I think when they say protected, they mean like no cuss words, no adult content/chat going on. Interaction with players only while supervised, etc.

Given that definition. I do not think their should be one free protected planet. My concern is the overhead to manage it. Do I want the developers watching all the interactions and also making sure play is supervised or working on updates? I think when the game goes public they will have enough overhead due to trolling and griefing without creating additional overhead with a special planet. I can certainly understand where the desire for such a place exists, but if someone wants such a restrictive planet, I do think they should pay for it. If the planet is public, I should be able to use it. It should not be restricted to children under x age with parental approval. I am not really sure how the developers could implement this anyway. With a private planet and a whitelist, they can limit players to their own family or people they know. They take responsibility for making sure the allowed players meet their requirements.

However, I do not think any planet should allow obscene or offensive interactions or builds. That seems to be the intent of the developers.

1 Like

I’m really not for monthly fees as i already paid for the game and participated in it’s developpement. I think the best way to have more money coming in is the “mech warrior online” model. Mech warrior online is a completely free to play game with very little pay to win, but people who love the game readily pay to have new mechs before they launch, decorative stuff, mech bays to store more mechs, etc. It’s not “pay to win” but you can still buy cool premium stuff out of real money. These could be: wearable, exclusive practical items, decoration. As an exemple (and only an exemple), a “bucket” to fetch water or lava could be one of those exclusive item as it’s not essential to play the game but could be a fun addition for a fee.

Then, don’t rent a server? The open world provides ample space, and if you still just have to get in on that private server action, seek to join one, rather than pay for it yourself. MWO is a very money hungry game that has seriously betrayed their early backers in the past. Speaking as an “overlord” tier EA backer who was promised ALL future mech chasis. I now own less than 20% of the existing roster thanks to their shady piecemeal practice :frowning:
Also, $5 for a single paint color is extreme!

2 Likes

I didn’t know he was talking about renting server, if it’s just that i don’t really mind. If players have to pay each month to play the game it’s another thing

1 Like

Oh, yeah, no not talking subscription based play! My mistake!

Sorry for the confusion. That was just intended an off-the-cuff list of current payment practices I’ve seen in other games, to highlight that charging monthjly for an additional service (renting a server) is better than a lot of the other options. As far as I’m aware, Boundless base game will be and has always been a Buy-once, play as much as you like on the normal ‘public’ offering.

The subscription fee should be (and I ‘believe’ is planned to be) only for those wanting to hire a server joined to the main game. Between that and the cosmetic loot boxes that floated around the forums as an early art concept, I think they should do well enough to keep everything ticking over. At least, I hope so.