Guild structure idea, feedback appriciated!

Hey guys, so I’ve been slowly drawing up some ideas to structure a new guild idea and I have decided to get y’alls (I’m from Texas, y’alls is a legitimate word, damn spellchecker!) feedback on it.
Theme: Empire with independent City States under one banner known as the Triarch Empire.
The Triarch Empire is organized into three branches; builders, military, and commerce. These branches are dedicated to their own particular specialties and generally represent the three main play styles of players in Oort Online. This is an Empire of free people, though, and players of any branch are welcome to engage in activities of other branches. Nobody is going to tell you how you can or can not play in this guild :wink: These branches are broken down into a leadership structure that allows for massive democratic and self governing cities of players known as City States. Each City State works cooperatively with the rest of the Empire with the goal of mutual wealth, power, and of course glory.

Leadership: Three branches. Known as the Triarch Council

Head of Building) Lord Mason
Lord Mason is the head of the Mason branch of the empire, responsible over city and fortification builders. This position is the collective voice of his branch at the Triarch council. This person oversees the general construction and thematic style of the empire, as well as sets standards for city requirements. This person also has the responsibility of insuring the empire’s trade routes organized and functional. Is the only person that can promote an Adept Mason to Grand Mason

Head of Military) Lord Commander
Lord Commander is the head of all military forces of the empire. His duty is to oversee any military conflict as well as oversee that his forces are maintaining peace within the empire. Is the collective voice of the military branch at the Triarch Council. Is the only person that the Commanders answer to. Is the only person that can promote a Chapter Master to the position of Commander.

Head of Commerce) Lord Baron
Lord Baron is the head of commerce and resource management for the empire. Lord Baron oversees the Empire’s treasury and insures that the other two branches have access to the materials and money they need for optimal operation. This person also oversees the distribution of the empire’s resources insuring that the empire does not suffer from overabundance of materials on some planets and inadequate stocks on others. Keeps up-to-date records of resource densities of all planets in the Empire and oversees the various mining and farming unions that supply the Empire. Lord Baron is the only person that may promote a Task Master to the position of Overseer.

The Second Tier, The Senate)

Where the Triarch Council governs the overall general Empire, The Empire is made up of a collection of City States. Each City State’s leadership is a reflection of the Triarch Council, known as the Senate. The Senate is made up of the highest ranking member of their respective city’s three branches. These Senate members represent the citizens of their city to the Triarch Council, and answer only to the Council.

Grand Mason)
The Grand Mason is a city’s primary architect. They are responsible for designing the city’s layout, it’s defensive structures, and it’s many districts. They are obligated to insure that the city follows the Empire’s loose guidelines on building and layout, but are ultimately free to build their city in what ever image they like. A Grand Mason may employ Adept Masons, or builders of notable skill, to commission city works or monuments to ensure the grandeur of the Empire’s cities.

Commander)
Each city has it’s own legion of warriors dedicated to the defense and glory of it’s city. These Legions are lead by a Commander, who is the direct leader of all armed forces for their city. The Commander may split their legion into Chapters, each with a Chapter Master. The Commander is responsible for their home city’s military needs including recruitment, armament, defense and warfare. The Commander organizes titan raiding parties and or other military operations.

Overseer)
The Overseer is the city’s head of commerce, trade and gathering. They are tasked with insuring the city’s food, ore and building supplies do not dry up. They are also responsible for sending surpluses to their Lord Baron for redistribution across the Empire, and for requisitioning needed materials that can not be found on their home world. They may assign tasks to their Task Masters to and oversee general gathering and commerce. The Overseer is responsible for their city’s trade center.

The Third Tier, Adept Masons, Chapter Masters and Task Masters)

The Third tier is basically middle management. These are players dedicated to their roles and help direct and organize the players beneath them. It is this tier’s roll to find and nurture the players whom show the greatest promise toward for the Empire and help them rise in the ranks. Their own duties are ultimately decided by the second tier above them, and to recruit initiates to their branch and players to side with the Empire.

4th Tier and below, the Initiates)
The initiates are the rank and file of the three branches. Citizens become Initiates when they decided to enlist in one of the three branches of the Empire. After enlistment, they are encouraged to focus on their branches duties. Initiates are always free to change their respective branches, and generally act as free citizens of the Empire. The main notable difference between an initiate and a citizen is this dedication to a particular branch.

Citizens)
Any player can join the Empire at any time. They may live in it’s cities and take jobs from any branch they wish. Citizens of the Empire are free people who work together for their collective benefit. A Citizen may chose to enlist in a branch of the Empire to seek greater glory and reward within the Empire, or they may not. The only requirement of citizens is to obey the laws of their respective City State should they chose to live there.

The City States of the Empire
Every City State is like a small guild all it’s own, each responsible for it’s own success, or coming to the aid of neighboring cities in need. There is generally no limit to the number of City States a planet may have, though to be recognized as a legitimate City State of the Empire, it must be lead by selected Senator tier players. This is to ensure the democratic structure of the Empire is maintained between City States and that each city is run by capable, knowledgeable and dedicated players. Each city needs to be represented by a Senator of each branch before it can be considered a proper City State.

Townships
City States are allowed to have townships under their protection provided they are managed by at least one selected member of the third branch of leadership. These townships can be dedicated to a specific branch, and are not required to have representation of all three branches. Townships can include military training bases or garrisons, mining or farming outposts, or trading and crafting outposts. Townships are dictated by their city’s respective senator’s laws, including any taxes, fees or tithes. Townships may eventually grow into independent City States if a council of Senators is chosen for them.

What are your opinions? Would you be interested in playing in this style guild? Is this too loose of a command structure? Too tight? let me know your opinions!

4 Likes

I can find myself in the structure of this guild structure. However you need a bunch of very dedicated players to pull it off.

4 Likes

The Watchers would be all over this, however I would like the ability to customize it to best fit what The Watchers are trying to achieve.

1 Like

@Mittekemuis Haha I do agree, and it may be far too early to see if this structure is even feasible. I had intended this to be a sort of casual guild that mass recruits and allows players to sort of decide how they want to contribute based on certain play styles I’ve seen on many minecraft servers. Example, the Builder branch would be a great fit for those players that want to just build and not worry about pvp or resource gathering, where as the military branch would be a fit for both the pvp and pve minded players. The commerce branch is designed around those trade savvy types and the players that make massive mines and farms. Really, it would only take three dedicated players per city to make it run smoothly, but can support a great deal more if they want. @CaptJack92a What I did not really go into extreme depth on is how each city state is encouraged to customize there own fit to achieve what ever they’re looking for, the three branches only serve to ensure each style of player has equal representation. What kind of things would you like to see this style do to better fit The Watchers?

The ability to create positions and set their level of influence, ability to name each position, assign leaders to divisions. Things like that.

1 Like

I deliberately only went into details on the core leadership of the guild, which has specific names for the sole sake of consistency across many cities. There can be a multitude of more specific titles, jobs, and positions below the forth or even third tier, that’s up to the city’s leadership to decide what it needs.

Right, but what about additions/changes to the existing tier structure you have there? Like a counsel of five, OR A singular leader, or some kind of democracy?

All of those things could be viable to different degrees I suppos. I chose three branches to model USA’s three branch representative government, then simplified it down to a rank system to remove some of the confusion and beurocracy, also to better fit typical guild ranking structures. I then paired each branch to a common play style so as to give them meaning and purpose. I’m sure there are other viable approaches for, for example, The Watchers. That’s just the approach I chose to base this particular model on.

Im guessing you watch GoT?

I do, but I’m not seeing your connection with GoT?

1 Like

This actually seems very well thought, but as @Mittekemuis mentioned it might (and will) require dedicated players that will form the structure of the guild together. There are a lot of roles that are irreplasable, and some of them require multiple participants (the Senate, for example).
But overall, great job!

Yes, very true! But I ain’t planning no 5 man guild. Hundreds, I say! HUNDREDS!

2 Likes

As @CaptJack92a mentioned above, the Watchers aim for the same well-thought structure and the Counsel type of government (both inside the guild and on territories controlled by it). That said, I don’t see a reason for us both (the Watchers and Triarch Council/Empire) to not interact with each other in a healthy manner :relieved: What do you think, Jack?

2 Likes

Lord Commander (I instantly thought of GoT cause normally you would say generals etc GoT was the first place i heard it)

1 Like

Ah, no it’s more inspired by warhammer40k

I don’t really have a name for the over all guild… suggestions? Empire is sort of generic…

1 Like

If you are a Warhammer 40k fan, I think the head is called “God Emperor.” I played Ork, so the leader was simply the one with the most Dakka, called the Warboss.

Realistically, you don’t need a total Guild leader. With your structure, you have enough positions and responsibilities in place to manage every aspect of gameplay, city building, and combat.

1 Like

Well, “Empire” implies there’s an actual Emperor as the head of the community (be it a guild or entire people of some country). Triarch Council actually sounds not that bad, even if it’s a bit generic, but I’m sure a little personal touch can fix that :slight_smile: The rest depends on what you imagine your guild to be, including (maybe this is the most important part) the visual aesthetics.

1 Like

Solid advice!

1 Like

Well, I don’t want to nudge you in any specific direction, because that would mean that you’ll possibly get off the direction you originally planned. So what I’m offering is more of a thought to consider :slight_smile:

1 Like